Username Post: Largest North American Anime Conventions of 2016
hikanteki 
Attendee

Reg: 06-02-10
04-18-17 07:54 PM - Post#15403    
    In response to PatrickD

• PatrickD Said:

"Primary" and "Secondary" are irrelevant. Let's say you've got a convention that's 49% steampunk and 51% anime. Should that use the combined attendance to get it ranked in the list of largest anime conventions? Obviously not and that's wouldn't be fair to the others. That's why Fanime is disqualified. Even if Clockwork Alchemy can only take credit for 5% of the total attendance, that's a 5% bonus that makes it unfair to other cons in the list.

Yes, I would say it should still be counted as a largest anime convention at a 51-49 split (especially if the focus is still on anime) BUT on the same token, once/if it crosses over to become majority Steampunk, it should be listed on the largest Steampunk convention lists but not anime convention lists.

Otakon holds a "Build Your Own Steampunk Ray Gun Workshop" which always has a line out the door...does the bump in attendance from people who just go for that make it unfair to the other anime cons?

• PatrickD Said:

If they're sharing admission with a steampunk convention that is so distinct that they're held at completely separate venues? YES, ABSOLUTELY!

They're not completely separate. There are some crossover panels--I've attended panels from Clockwork Alchemy-related guests of honor in the main Fanime building for instance (such as Steam Powered Giraffe), because they looked interesting, and I ended up liking them. There are also free shuttles that go between the Convention Center and DoubleTree.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

AnimeCons.com Home | Conventions | Guests | Members | AnimeCons TV | Articles | Reports

FusionBB™ Version 2.2 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.066 seconds.   Total Queries: 18  
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 04:30 AM