Username Post: Project Anime        (Topic#2539)
Nigoki 
Obsessed with robots
Nigoki
Reg: 02-25-09

02-09-12 02:08 AM - Post#10225    

I saw this on ANN and as someone who works at a larger convention, it's got me curious.

• In reply to:
"Project Anime," a new two-day conference aimed at convention organizers and vendors, will be held on June 27 and 28 at the JW Marriott Los Angeles LIVE hotel, just before this year's Anime Expo (AX). Co-produced by the Society for the Promotion of Japanese Animation (SPJA) and production company Green Mustard Entertainment (formerly Wasabi Anime), the event will have roundtable discussions, panels, and presentations involving conventions and the vendors that support them.

The Project Anime event is intended to bridge the gap between the staff members of different conventions, and to share ideas that might boost both convention attendance and the industry in general. The event's organizers say that the idea was spurred by the decreasing number of anime and manga publishers over the last several years.

The current schedule includes panels on industry, advertising and social media, operations, security, programming, and guest relations. Additionally, five hours of programming are designated as "sponsor panels." The event will focus on bringing in sponsors related to convention services (such as printing, logistics, and ticketing systems) and plans to use sponsorship revenue to subsidize attendance for organizers of the 10 largest anime conventions in North America.

Attendance is priced at US$45, and a package deal, which includes six meals, a reception, and an all-inclusive four-day pass to AX, is priced at US$350 per person. A complete conference package, which adds round-trip airfare (from anywhere in the continental United States), five nights at the JW Marriott, and airport transportation, is priced at US$1,750 per person.

I'd love to go to this, but that's a blackout period for days off at work. I'd like to see a lot of good come out of this, especially getting cons to help each other grow, and generate ideas that work for everyone.
-Doug Wilder
Resident Mecha fanboy of AnimeCons TV!

Proz 
Con Addict
Proz
Loc: Texas
Reg: 08-08-07

02-09-12 02:20 AM - Post#10226    
    In response to Nigoki

There's been a heated discussion about this event on the ACML and many were balking at the sponsor rate. Good intent but fairly expensive for many planners when factoring in travel costs.

It has inspired some alternative ideas on the list but lets see if anyone follows through.

Edited by Proz on 02-09-12 02:23 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

PatrickD 
Executive Producer
PatrickD
Loc: California
Reg: 12-07-06

02-09-12 02:31 AM - Post#10227    
    In response to Proz

• Proz Said:
There's been a heated discussion about this event on the ACML and many were balking at the sponsor rate. Good intent but fairly expensive for many planners when factoring in travel costs.

Yeah, I agree. Far too expensive for me to get to from the east coast...and having it on Wednesday/Thursday makes it even less convenient for someone like me with no plans to attend AX.
-PatrickD
AnimeCons.com Executive Producer
Co-Founder: Anime Boston and Providence Anime Conference
Host of The Chibi Project & Anime Unscripted™

Nigoki 
Obsessed with robots
Nigoki

02-09-12 05:40 AM - Post#10229    
    In response to Proz

In another place I posted about it someone commented that there's been questions raised about it on ACML. (I keep forgetting to join that)
-Doug Wilder

EllyStar 
New England Con Whore
EllyStar
Loc: Massachusetts
Reg: 06-24-07

02-09-12 11:49 AM - Post#10232    
    In response to Nigoki

This sounds like something that could be done just as easily using a virtual conference.
Elizabeth: Website and Podcast Writer
My Conventions

PatrickD 
Executive Producer
PatrickD

02-09-12 12:27 PM - Post#10233    
    In response to EllyStar

...and I have to agree with what a lot of people on ACML are posting about how there doesn't seem to be any justification for the exorbitant cost. A small convention would have to pay over $1000 to attend...but if you have over 10,000 attendees, you get in free? Seems backwards. ...and with just one panel track which is likely to have a large portion of information that is already freely available or suggestions that are preaching to the choir, I really can't see how any convention could justify it...or the required AX badge at 500% markup.

He also said they want to give an inside look into how AX operates. I'm not sure AX is the best example to follow...and even if it is, a lot of what a large con like that does will not apply to small conventions.
-PatrickD

Nigoki 
Obsessed with robots
Nigoki

02-09-12 06:34 PM - Post#10237    
    In response to PatrickD

Someone forwarded me some of the ACML posts about it. I definitely see what a lot of the issues are now. A lot of the idea sharing already takes place through things like cross-staffing*, small stuff like room parties for people who staff cons, etc.

*(though I'm of the mindset that people should never only staff cons)
-Doug Wilder

PatrickD 
Executive Producer
PatrickD

02-09-12 06:41 PM - Post#10238    
    In response to Nigoki

If there were a conference that fell on a convenient weekend, didn't break the bank to attend, and was easy to get to, I think it would be great for the AnimeCons.com and AnimeCons TV folks to go to talk with all the convention organizers...but unfortunately this is simply not that kind of event.
-PatrickD

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Recent Topics
AnimeCons.com

AnimeCons.com Home | Conventions | Guests | Members | AnimeCons TV | Articles | Reports

FusionBB™ Version 2.2 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.127 seconds.   Total Queries: 40  
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 07:43 PM