Username Post: Year One Guests and potentials        (Topic#1355)
Ani Ida Con 
Attendee
Ani Ida Con
Loc: Boise, ID
Reg: 08-15-09

08-16-09 01:09 AM - Post#5120    

More or Less Right now Ani Ida Con got the following to some form of Gentlemen's agreement either in person or via email.

Michael Coleman (He's been to the other Local cons and I consider the man a friend.)
Ichidan (I know the Powers that be with them and I'm either friendly to or friends with a good portion of their members)
I'd like to have more then a tentative booking with Custodians of Otakudom BUT their bylaws don't permit booking out that far.

I'd like to get some folk from ADV for a table.
maybe some other companies.
I got a friend who's got a band in Portland who attends cons in the area and has progressed from being the random guitarist in the con space to being on stage to having a band.
Ani-Music/Soul Candy is gonna be a welcome group (not sure how to work them in YET but I will)
I've sent an invite to Raqs Ataq but their site has done gone POOF.
Also,
I'm planning on inviting,
Vic Mignogna, Monica Rial and Mari Iijima to attend.
The Order of Ares (local Renaissance Players)
and Project Silence (local performance group)
Also I'm tempted to invite White Lightning Productions and another like company.
IF I think I could afford it I'd like to have another VA or industry folk.
Bands, I'd like to have The Slants for our first year I WOULD but I'm trying to balance cost with brand identity and would really want them at the con for the duration of the con.
Also I'd like to have a DJ'd rave and some other dances.
IF I could ONLY have one band here's the short list from what I've seen and heard get passed around the camp fire.

The Slants (GOD You guys are approachable and really got a good sound)
The S1nd1cate (missed their concert at Fandemonium but were good guys)
THe Kid and Nic show (www.kidandnic.com EPIC sound, very nice and would be a first for the area)

advice and comments would be welcomed and Also we'd like to get some co-oppition with some other cons.

PatrickD 
Executive Producer
PatrickD
Loc: California
Reg: 12-07-06

08-16-09 01:26 AM - Post#5121    
    In response to Ani Ida Con

• Ani Ida Con Said:
advice and comments would be welcomed and Also we'd like to get some co-oppition with some other cons.

Don't bite off more than you can chew the first year. I've seen a handful of first year cons go into debt because they invite a ton of guests and don't realize how much the flights, hotels, food, appearance fees, and other guest-related expenses add up.

Nobody expects a first year con to be flying in tons of guests from all over...and when people see a lot of high-profile guests at a first year con, it tends to raise red flags. People have seen cons like that end up canceling some/most/all their guests when they realize the expense of it all. The fiascos of TandokuCon and JumpCon come to mind.

-PatrickD
AnimeCons.com Executive Producer
Co-Founder: Anime Boston and Providence Anime Conference
Host of The Chibi Project & Anime Unscripted™

Ani Ida Con 
Attendee
Ani Ida Con

08-16-09 01:38 AM - Post#5122    
    In response to PatrickD

For the most part IF you didn't notice the people I mentioned are short hops away or local.

I'm honor bound NOT to disclose certain agreements but IMHO Michael Coleman is quite cost effective.
With the exceptions of Monica, Vic and Raqs Ataq ALL of the guests I mentioned are either based in Idaho or surrounding areas and aren't hyper far away.

I'm going to attempt to draw a friend of mine from the midwest to help with our sound set up.

PLUS I got a decent cushion to work with and that's why I'm working NOW on Guest so I can afford them later on.

This my friend is Idaho and there's some cons here and we need to be mindful of brand identity and trying to out do the other cons in some ways.
GO BIG or go home is enforce here.

PatrickD 
Executive Producer
PatrickD

08-16-09 02:22 AM - Post#5123    

• Ani Ida Con Said:
This my friend is Idaho and there's some cons here and we need to be mindful of brand identity and trying to out do the other cons in some ways.

That's probably not the best attitude for a new con. Many successful cons work in cooperation with other conventions...especially since there's usually a lot of crossover between staff members.
-PatrickD

Ani Ida Con 
Attendee
Ani Ida Con

08-16-09 10:19 AM - Post#5124    
    In response to PatrickD

• PatrickD Said:
  • Ani Ida Con Said:

That's probably not the best attitude for a new con. Many successful cons work in cooperation with other conventions...especially since there's usually a lot of crossover between staff members.

Right now in this part of Idaho there's 2 Anime centered cons and a general fandom con.
We're going to more aligned with the general one then the others (whom are run by the same people)
Myself and others see the need to be assertive of our brand and make it unique.
I'm not discounting that there will be people serving other cons.
what I think is important is that we do the best we can and shoot for the moon and just hope to get in to orbit. If you follow me.

SuperGeekGirl 
Con Regular
SuperGeekGirl
Loc: St. Louis, MO
Reg: 01-25-09

08-21-09 04:19 PM - Post#5164    

It's unfortunate that many people DO expect a big guest at your first con, but, you know what? Usually they come anyway. They'll whine about it on your forums because they don't understand the cost, but I've seen cons do quite well with only one guest their first year.
Con Chair- Kawa Kon http://kawakon.com
Bishie Con http://bishiecon.com
Attending in 2010: EvilleCon, Naka-Kon, Kawa Kon, Steamposium, Costume-Con, Cape Comic Con, Marcon, OMGcon, NatsuCon, AnimeIowa, Archon, Motaku, Bishie Con, and maybe MTAC

Ani Ida Con 
Attendee
Ani Ida Con

08-21-09 05:18 PM - Post#5167    
    In response to SuperGeekGirl

Aside from LOCAL guests everybody I've spoken to and has either impart implied accepting or said "Yeah man I'll be there" (Some Canuck named Coleman)
I got a reply back from Vic and he's busy up that weekend so we didn't detail out cost for him.
Of the two VAs I've emailed and got cost requests from neither of them are outragous in price.

and TBH there's some folk that I won't be talking to either because of $$ or been in the area too recently.

After I get the line up and schedule set for year one I may turn it all over to my VC and bust hump for year two programing and guests.

A x e l - F 
Con Addict
A x e l - F
Loc: So. Utah
Reg: 07-08-09

08-28-09 02:11 PM - Post#5221    

I'm sorry to tell you that there is a difference between people saying that they will come one moment and them not showing up the next. Just having them say "Hey man, I'll come" doesn't really mean that they will. You have to much them to make sure you have them confirmed and that they WILL be there. There is nothing worse then announcing a guest and then having to retract it.

I've talked to with a lot of big name brand stars (Vic being one of them) and they ARE NOT cheap. Most of them want a hefty fee just to show up and if they aren't close in your area, then they want travel expenses and a lot of times their food paid for. It can all add up very fast.

For our first convention, our guest was a fairly popular person in the manga world who doesn't live too far out of the area and willing to make the drive if we spot her a room. Our second guest acutally contacted US and offered to come down just for the publicity and fun. This is what you want for your first year. THEN budget and start planning for more high profile guests in future cons but NEVER over estimate yourself. That is what will kill your convention in the end. Your first impression is your strongest.
A x e l - F
Public Relations
Anime SG // Anime Bonanza

Proz 
Con Addict
Proz
Loc: Texas
Reg: 08-08-07

08-29-09 12:16 AM - Post#5237    
    In response to A x e l - F

What I've learned from experience is that while it is a good move to contact guests to see if they are available, just going on an e-mail is not the best way to confirm a guest. It is like asking a guest at a convention if they want to come to your convention and just getting a verbal commitment.

It is much better to have a performance contract which spell out the terms. The guest will know what they can expect at the convention and you have a guarantee from the guest that they will be there.

Here is a sample template which I used for our first year:

http://www.san-japan.org/files/performance%20c ontract%20template.doc

Don't worry about the guest printing out the document, scanning then returning it or faxing it back. You can still use the e-mail confirmation with the contract to be binding. It just gives both sides assurances.
San Japan - San Antonio, Texas - Convention Chairman

A x e l - F 
Con Addict
A x e l - F

08-29-09 02:32 PM - Post#5251    
    In response to Proz

Thank you for posting that! That is very helpful since we might actually be paying for guests next year.

We don't have to worry about it so much this year because our guests are mostly local people who are either coming in exchange for a batch or a dealer's spot. That why if worst case happens and they skip out, it will either be no loss to us or loss to them.
A x e l - F
Public Relations

Ani Ida Con 
Attendee
Ani Ida Con

08-30-09 02:05 PM - Post#5261    

• A x e l - F Said:
I'm sorry to tell you that there is a difference between people saying that they will come one moment and them not showing up the next. Just having them say "Hey man, I'll come" doesn't really mean that they will. You have to much them to make sure you have them confirmed and that they WILL be there. There is nothing worse then announcing a guest and then having to retract it.

I've talked to with a lot of big name brand stars (Vic being one of them) and they ARE NOT cheap. Most of them want a hefty fee just to show up and if they aren't close in your area, then they want travel expenses and a lot of times their food paid for. It can all add up very fast.

For our first convention, our guest was a fairly popular person in the manga world who doesn't live too far out of the area and willing to make the drive if we spot her a room. Our second guest acutally contacted US and offered to come down just for the publicity and fun. This is what you want for your first year. THEN budget and start planning for more high profile guests in future cons but NEVER over estimate yourself. That is what will kill your convention in the end. Your first impression is your strongest.

Of the people I contacted and discussed details with.
Of the two confirmed Voice Actors I've contacted and IMO are all but final contracted to attend.
Both are rather inexpensive.
One asked a per diem and appearance fee which totals to be not that bad.
The other asked for food money while at the con plus during transit and to pay for airport parking and tolls while traveling from home to the airport.
Aside from that, airfare and hotel room.
I don't know how other con chairs approach industry guests but I did ask both TG and MC.
If they had any special requests.
TG replied that she had issues with products with lactose, and would like a smoke free room and away from elevators and stairs.
I'm going to oblige TG on both counts and will be requesting ozone machines in TG's room prior to her arrival so we can "clean it" of smoke and what not smells.
Also TG will be obliged on her dietary needs by myself and the hotel.
Alot of my potential attendees are some sort of vegan or not quite omnivore.
So there will be options at the con for them too.
MC requested that he not be placed in the main building.

Aside from that, my BIGGEST expense for all of my guests is airfare.

Ani Ida Con 
Attendee
Ani Ida Con

08-30-09 02:09 PM - Post#5262    
    In response to Proz

• Proz Said:
What I've learned from experience is that while it is a good move to contact guests to see if they are available, just going on an e-mail is not the best way to confirm a guest. It is like asking a guest at a convention if they want to come to your convention and just getting a verbal commitment.

It is much better to have a performance contract which spell out the terms. The guest will know what they can expect at the convention and you have a guarantee from the guest that they will be there.

Here is a sample template which I used for our first year:

http://www.san-japan.org/files/performance%20c ontract%20template.doc

Don't worry about the guest printing out the document, scanning then returning it or faxing it back. You can still use the e-mail confirmation with the contract to be binding. It just gives both sides assurances.

Thanks I might base some of my contracts from it.

All of my attending guests that I either know personally or only via email and phone calls know this is my first rodeo.
and ALL have said they'd work with me on things.

Infact one knows a friend of mine and her SO down in South Florida.

Ani Ida Con 
Attendee
Ani Ida Con

08-30-09 02:21 PM - Post#5263    

• A x e l - F Said:
Thank you for posting that! That is very helpful since we might actually be paying for guests next year.

We don't have to worry about it so much this year because our guests are mostly local people who are either coming in exchange for a batch or a dealer's spot. That why if worst case happens and they skip out, it will either be no loss to us or loss to them.

I just jumped over to your site and looks pretty cool.

small and sweet guest list.
I really hope you do great.

I'd like to talk to you about somethings after your con.
BUT I would suggest that IF you have staff or someone you know is going to Anime Banzai to talk to Brandon Waite of Ichidan, he's a pretty decent cat and a friend of mine.
For your year 2 I'd think about talking to him to bring Ichidan down.
INFACT He was the second person I talked to about being a guest at Ani Ida Con, and the first in person that I spoke with.
Also I'd recommend speaking with Michael Coleman.
great guy plus he's done other stuff beyond anime work.
plus he's a VA "mentor" and teaches workshops and the like.
(I gots the t shirt)

Ani Ida Con 
Attendee
Ani Ida Con

08-30-09 03:05 PM - Post#5264    

right now here's who I got and who I am still gonna talk to.
all but final contracted.
Michael Coleman
Tiffany Grant
Ichidan
Custodians of Otakudom (tentative till sometime 2010)
Soul Candy of Seattle
"Borneo" conchair of Fandemonium
Kira Williams (somewhat tentative)
Magic Dragon Games (presenting our table top game room)
Middle of Nowhere Anime Club (running a room of their own.)
Raqs Attaq (5 members plus manager)
still needing to be contacted (but are local)
Order of Ares
Project Silence.

Some of the guests namely MoNAC, Ichidan, Borneo, Kira Williams, COO, Magic Dragon Games and Mr. Coleman are our first class of Special Guests for life.
They have done alot for fandoms in general and for the anime hobby in Idaho and I think they deserve a special title for it.

PatrickD 
Executive Producer
PatrickD

08-30-09 06:05 PM - Post#5265    

I still think that seems like a lot of non-local people for a first year con outside of a major city. I'm not sure what you're anticipating for attendance, but guests must be a large portion of your budget with a guest list that large.
-PatrickD

Ani Ida Con 
Attendee
Ani Ida Con

08-31-09 10:15 AM - Post#5268    
    In response to PatrickD

Only ones not in Idaho are
Coleman, Grant, Soul Candy, and Raqs Attaq.
Everybody else is in Idaho if not closer to Boise.

I did speak with Project Silence but I'm not sure how that's going to work due to some of their own things.
And I need to contact Order of Ares soon ish.
But really cost wise the 4 out of state people are very great and I can't wait to get them here.

A x e l - F 
Con Addict
A x e l - F

08-31-09 04:09 PM - Post#5278    

That's what we did for our guest of honor at our con. She lives down in Las Vegas which isn't only a two hour drive from our Con. As long as we give her a room for a few nights and a Dealer's Booth, she would come just to sell her stuff and make money. :3
It's a Win Win for both of us.
A x e l - F
Public Relations

Ani Ida Con 
Attendee
Ani Ida Con

08-31-09 09:20 PM - Post#5283    

Ahh that works. The reason why I got the out of state folks I did is because I knew they'd be fair.

SuperGeekGirl 
Con Regular
SuperGeekGirl
Loc: St. Louis, MO
Reg: 01-25-09

09-02-09 09:52 PM - Post#5302    

Yamila is great. She's very willing to help make things inexpensive for you because she wants a table at your con as much as you want to have her as a guest.
Con Chair- Kawa Kon http://kawakon.com
Bishie Con http://bishiecon.com
Attending in 2010: EvilleCon, Naka-Kon, Kawa Kon, Steamposium, Costume-Con, Cape Comic Con, Marcon, OMGcon, NatsuCon, AnimeIowa, Archon, Motaku, Bishie Con, and maybe MTAC

redshoesrock 
Attendee

Reg: 09-06-09

09-15-09 04:44 PM - Post#5363    

At the risk of going off topic I have to ask a question. Based on the name of your event (Ani Ida Con) and where you're located (Boise), I'm going to assume you're planning an anime con in Idaho? Probably in Boise? I can't help but notice that Idaho (and Boise) already are being served by two anime conventions, Anime Oasis and Tomodachi Fest. I also notice Fandemonium down the road in Nampa, which seems to be a sci-fi con attempting to cater to all forms of fandom, including anime. Why create another event in Idaho? I'm sure Boise and Idaho are great places but one thing there are not known for is a large population base. If you feel that either of the anime events or Fandemonium are not doing the best job possible to the anime fans of Idaho, why not join one of them and work to make the event better?
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla sapientia mundus regatur?

Jeremy Lopett 
Attendee

Reg: 08-22-09

09-18-09 08:40 AM - Post#5375    
    In response to redshoesrock

Simply put, we could not work together because of conflicting ideals. Therefore, ani Ida con was started as a direct challenge to the Anime Oasis establishment in Idaho.

I don't wish to discuss this any further in public forum, as it very well could break down into non sense. I am free to talk about the Idaho market and such in private.
Founder and Convention Chairman of:
Anime Oasis
Tomodachi Fest

Animeperson 
Attendee

Reg: 07-13-09

09-19-09 12:06 AM - Post#5377    
    In response to Jeremy Lopett

There could be any one of a hundred reasons to start a new convention. "Join the other con and make it better" can be a good answer, but it's not end-all be-all. Sometimes conventions are just run by... people who are hard to get along with. Or sometimes you want to go in a different direction.

Anime Oasis, for example, is not organized as a non-profit. The person in charge has the potential to make money from the convention. Maybe AniIdaho will be a nonprofit, but they're not registered yet.

http://www.sos.idaho.gov/tiffpilot/tiffpilot.exe?FN=\\sosimg\corp$//11 242006/ASS...

Edited by Animeperson on 09-19-09 12:08 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

King Kittan 

Reg: 08-18-09

09-20-09 03:15 AM - Post#5383    
    In response to Animeperson

All profits go to the convention though, none is pocketed by the founder nor staff for personal use other then food for staff and hotel rooms.

A x e l - F 
Con Addict
A x e l - F

09-25-09 01:05 PM - Post#5428    

Getting back on topic before we start a mud slinging between Anime Oasis and Ani Ida Con....

Yes, in fact it is Yamilia who is coming up as our guest of honor. It has been wonderful to just provide her with a table and a hotel room for a few nice without any other cost. She was love to our small budget.
A x e l - F
Public Relations

gaijinusa 
Attendee

Reg: 10-29-09

04-09-10 11:33 AM - Post#6808    

Hey guys,

Anyone know where I can get a guest that already live in the Vegas area CHEAP? Pretty much needing someone that will do it for a low fee and free hotel and food.

Can consider California if they will waive their fee and take hotel and food allowance.

Still not a bad deal since we are in Vegas. If all works out,we currently run about four conventions a year and looking at six by next year. We usually do a little better for guests but the venue price and fees surprised us this year. Need help ASAP! Today if possible. www.gaijinusa.com

A x e l - F 
Con Addict
A x e l - F

04-16-10 01:02 PM - Post#6854    
    In response to gaijinusa

Well...Yamilia Abraham was in Vegas and was pretty cheap..however she just entered a plea deal for drug trafficking last month. >.<

Good thing she was canceled when she was.
A x e l - F
Public Relations

A.C.A. 
Attendee

Reg: 09-18-09

04-18-10 02:46 AM - Post#6876    
    In response to gaijinusa

Well...Your best bet is to invite someone from California (LA in particular)... Since Vegas is so close travel is relatively easy and inexpensive and I don't know any actors based in Vegas. But finding a guest who will waive a fee just for hotel and food might be difficult (perhaps negotiable). It depends on the type of guest you want to get. If you're looking for a very popular voice actor from LA, chances are you might not be able to waive the appearance fee, but you might find an up-and-comer who just getting their start in voice acting. Or better yet, invite an industry pro who has been writing, directing and producing English dubs for many popular anime and videogames titles for many years (wink-wink, nudge-nudge), and who loves to come to Vegas to drink and gamble, but I wonder who that would be . You can always send me a PM, if you want more information.

Regards,

Jonathan Klein
Vice President/Producer
New Generation Pictures, Inc.

A x e l - F 
Con Addict
A x e l - F

04-22-10 01:25 PM - Post#6897    
    In response to A.C.A.

Nice offer Jonathan. I would almost take you up on it myself if we weren't in Southern Utah which is about a two hour drive from Vegas. Sadly...Utahans don't care much for liqueur (most of them anyways) and the only gambling you can get is if you go a half hour drive to Mesquite, NV.

I do understand what you mean, however, about finding someone who is up and coming. That is how we got our guest this year from Frisco.
A x e l - F
Public Relations

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Recent Topics
AnimeCons.com

AnimeCons.com Home | Conventions | Guests | Members | AnimeCons TV | Articles | Reports

FusionBB™ Version 2.2 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.437 seconds.   Total Queries: 84  
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:51 PM