Username Post: Yamila Abraham Arrested For Drug Charges        (Topic#1419)
A x e l - F 
Con Addict
A x e l - F
Loc: So. Utah
Reg: 07-08-09

10-02-09 04:20 PM - Post#5485    

A week before our convention and I find out that one of our attending guests, Yamila Abraham was recently arrested for drug charges. Even though she's out of jail and awaiting trial for next month, it's safe to say that we will inform her that her presents is no longer needed. Thank goodness for other guests. *sigh*

I know there are quite a few fellow cons on here who are also having her as a guest. I thought I might inform them on her situation.

Las Vegas Eyewitness News
A x e l - F
Public Relations
Anime SG // Anime Bonanza

Drorain 
Con Addict
Drorain
Loc: Massachusetts
Reg: 01-18-07

10-05-09 10:54 AM - Post#5495    
    In response to A x e l - F

wow thats...interesting, what kind of charges is she facing if you don't mind me asking, depending on where it is it could be a misdemeanor rather than criminal charges.

She's going to regret this cause I think this is the response she should get from many of the cons.

edit: wow those are serious charges, read a couple of the articles, what a desperate attempt to make money
I'ma Designer! PowderKeg Graphic Design
I'ma Blogger too! Holy Carp!

Edited by Drorain on 10-05-09 11:00 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

PatrickD 
Executive Producer
PatrickD
Loc: California
Reg: 12-07-06

10-05-09 12:34 PM - Post#5497    
    In response to Drorain

• Drorain Said:
She's going to regret this cause I think this is the response she should get from many of the cons.

Yeah. Even though she has not been convicted and has only been charged, I think a lot of conventions will definitely think twice about having her on their guest list.

Here's her current convention list:
http://www.animecons.com/guests/bio.shtml/2290/Yamila_Abraham

I checked the other day and none of the four upcoming conventions on that list had listed a cancellation.
-PatrickD
AnimeCons.com Executive Producer
Co-Founder: Anime Boston and Providence Anime Conference
Host of The Chibi Project & Anime Unscripted™

A x e l - F 
Con Addict
A x e l - F

10-06-09 11:12 AM - Post#5499    
    In response to PatrickD

• PatrickD Said:

I checked the other day and none of the four upcoming conventions on that list had listed a cancellation.

Not counting us anyways.

What was sad about it is that she threw a big fit about us canceling her and even brought out second guest into it (who I'm guessing is good friends with her) and he canceled until we "apologize" and invite her back. Now we got to figure out how we are going to fill that space for Saturday and see if we can get refund on the hotel room...

It really has been a mess the past few weeks and now she blames us for destroying her company. >.<
A x e l - F
Public Relations

Drorain 
Con Addict
Drorain

10-06-09 01:11 PM - Post#5500    

now that's laughable, your doing nothing but reporting news, you should never expect to have to do cori checks on guests, but who knows maybe it's worthwhile.

her company might go bust because of her actions not because of someone elses, remember it's not slander or libel if what you say is true. Just be sure not to exaggerate anything and keep private what should be private, ie contracts and such.

Drorain 
Con Addict
Drorain

10-06-09 01:15 PM - Post#5502    
    In response to Drorain

BTW have fun with the convention, don't focus on the guests to much, it's nice to have them, but you can still have a very successful con without the big names to bring them in. Our first year we had 2 guests that we're very well known in recent history, yet we had 500 people that has grown 100% in 2 years!

A x e l - F 
Con Addict
A x e l - F

10-06-09 05:25 PM - Post#5504    
    In response to Drorain

Much thanks. We're not going to let this get us down and we'll figure something out for our programing. We're already going to see if we can get a local musician to come in and fill for our live music spot.

A guest doesn't make the con. It's all about the activities and the dealers. <3
A x e l - F
Public Relations

PatrickD 
Executive Producer
PatrickD

10-06-09 05:50 PM - Post#5505    

• A x e l - F Said:
A guest doesn't make the con. It's all about the activities and the dealers. <3

I'd even say it's more about the social aspect of getting a bunch of like-minded fans together in one place than either of those.

You could throw a bunch of anime fans into an empty room and they'd make their own fun.
-PatrickD

A x e l - F 
Con Addict
A x e l - F

10-06-09 06:07 PM - Post#5506    
    In response to PatrickD

So very true. Even though we are pretty much guest-less this time around, we are able to fill the time other wise with a new manga drawing panel and a screening room open all day. I think it will be a successes either way.
A x e l - F
Public Relations

PatrickD 
Executive Producer
PatrickD

10-06-09 06:59 PM - Post#5507    

Any local webcomic creators you could get to go? Maybe someone to make the drive up from Vegas?

Also...an interesting example of the web site's guest cancellation features here:
http://www.animecons.com/events/info.shtml/1878

When a guest cancels on a convention, there is a line through their name on the con page (and a line through the con on their bio page) so that any fans who follow them will know they're no longer going to that con. Also, anyone looking at the con page who had planned to go see them will know they're not going to be at the con anymore.

Some convention planners actually use this feature to see how often a guest cancels on a con for one reason or another. If you look at a guest's bio and see a lot of cancellations, it could be somewhat risky to invite that person as a guest since they may cancel on you. Maybe they've got work, maybe they had an anxiety attack, maybe they got a better offer for a larger appearance fee from another con. In any case, that just shows a greater cancellation risk. Sure, sometimes they may be legitimately sick and unable to attend, but it all evens out in the end. (If someone is sick a lot, this would show it. ...but a few cancellations out of a vast number of appearances is nothing to fret about.)

On the other hand, when a convention cancels a guest, the guest is listed as cancelled on the con page so that anyone planning to attend will know that person isn't going to be there anymore. However, the guest bio does not show a cancelled appearance. (This feature was added at the request of some voice actor friends who have had cons retract invites and didn't want it to look like they had cancelled the appearances.)

...so ultimately after these cancellations, Yamila's bio will have no association to Anime St. George at all. Steve's bio will have a cancellation affixed permanently since he cancelled on the con of his own free will.

PS: I'm amused at the "drug abuse" ads that Google put on this page because of this thread.
-PatrickD

Edited by PatrickD on 10-06-09 07:22 PM. Reason for edit: Goooooogle

A x e l - F 
Con Addict
A x e l - F

10-08-09 12:09 PM - Post#5509    
    In response to PatrickD

Oh my Patrick, that is just the coolest thing ever. I wasn't sure how that system worked but I like it. Very useful for keeping track of troubled guests. Heh, I also kind of like how we don't show up on Yamlia's list anymore.

LMAO! Silly google, they come up with the strangest things based on keyword.
A x e l - F
Public Relations

Edited by A x e l - F on 10-08-09 12:10 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

A x e l - F 
Con Addict
A x e l - F

10-16-09 07:43 PM - Post#5555    

Hey everyone! Drorain messaged me asking me for to tell you all how the convention went.

We had a wonderful first year and a good turn out considering. The funny part was that no one really cared that our guests didn't show up. Heh, Patrick was right about what he said about Anime people making their own fun. While we where setting up for the dance, one panel set it up so people could just randomly watch crazy anime videos on youtube. It was a big hit and it wasn't even a scheduled panel but something people just did because they had nothing better to do.

It hasn't even been a week since the con and we have already had people spamming our blog asking us for a confirmed date for next year. <3

Thanks for the support everyone! It really helped a lot.
A x e l - F
Public Relations

Drorain 
Con Addict
Drorain

10-19-09 07:34 AM - Post#5566    

Great news axel, glad to hear it...this year was a one day con, any plans to expand next year to 2 or three days or is that something better saved for a press release. might even be better to do a couple 1 day things through the calendar year.

PatrickD 
Executive Producer
PatrickD

10-19-09 10:18 AM - Post#5567    

I was looking through some old posts in the Feedback forum and came across this:
http://forums.animecons.com/showpost.php?post/5225/

• A x e l - F Said:
The worst think I think you can do is cancel on a guest. It's not good for relations with your guest as well as with the people.

I guess it's not actually the worst thing after all...
-PatrickD

A x e l - F 
Con Addict
A x e l - F

10-19-09 10:38 AM - Post#5568    
    In response to Drorain

We might expand to a 2 day con later in the future but St. George is a bit too small to support two days at this moment in time. There is already a smaller convention in the March months that is struggling to support two days themselves. We have a feeling they might not make it after this next time because they need to downgrade just to afford it.

I know a one day isn't much for a press release but it gets your name out there and without proper advertising, you don't get any people.

Patrick: Oh my I did say that didn't I? XP I guess that was before I figured out some guests can be just down right scum bags.

A x e l - F
Public Relations

SuperGeekGirl 
Con Regular
SuperGeekGirl
Loc: St. Louis, MO
Reg: 01-25-09

10-19-09 08:42 PM - Post#5573    

Hey, hey! I'm not sure that "scum bag" is appropriate name to call someone who hasn't even been convicted of anything yet. She might have been a little hasty or pushy, but honestly that doesn't make her a scum bag. As a con chair, I don't want to say that sort of thing about a guest because we all have bad days and hard times.

Personally, I have some guests I would not invite or would not invite back because of things they've done around me (getting falling down drunk and licking people is something I whole-heartedly dislike in a guest), but let's not spread nasty nicknames, please?
Con Chair- Kawa Kon http://kawakon.com
Bishie Con http://bishiecon.com
Attending in 2010: EvilleCon, Naka-Kon, Kawa Kon, Steamposium, Costume-Con, Cape Comic Con, Marcon, OMGcon, NatsuCon, AnimeIowa, Archon, Motaku, Bishie Con, and maybe MTAC

A x e l - F 
Con Addict
A x e l - F

10-21-09 10:31 AM - Post#5579    
    In response to SuperGeekGirl

I don't ever remember calling Yamilia a 'scum bag'. I was simply stating that some people can be, but I don't ever remember publicly saying that she herself was. Please do not take things out of context.
A x e l - F
Public Relations

The History Follower 
Con Addict
The History Follower
Loc: WV
Reg: 01-02-07

10-21-09 12:02 PM - Post#5580    

No you didn't out right call her a scum bag, but the way you had said it seemed to indicate that.

A x e l - F 
Con Addict
A x e l - F

10-21-09 03:49 PM - Post#5583    
    In response to The History Follower

I'm sorry if it seemed like I was indicating it but I was not. I will make sure to be clearer next time so there is no confusion. My apologies.
A x e l - F
Public Relations

Natchan84 
Attendee
Natchan84
Loc: St.George Utah
Reg: 10-22-09

10-22-09 04:13 PM - Post#5593    

• A x e l - F Said:
We might expand to a 2 day con later in the future but St. George is a bit too small to support two days at this moment in time. There is already a smaller convention in the March months that is struggling to support two days themselves. We have a feeling they might not make it after this next time because they need to downgrade just to afford it.

I am the founder of Fannatiku Fest, and I would appreciate it if you would not "inform" people that we are struggling for two days. We are not "Smaller" and we are in no way "struggling". Since you have no access to our accounts and what not, how would you even know what we can and cannot support?

I find it inappropriate that you would pass judgment upon other conventions that you are not affiliated with like this.
http://anime-fannatiku.livejournal.com/
http://myspace.com/animefannatiku
www.animefannatiku.com

Rich 

Reg: 10-22-09

10-22-09 11:27 PM - Post#5598    
    In response to Natchan84

• Natchan84 Said:
  • A x e l - F Said:

I am the founder of Fannatiku Fest, and I would appreciate it if you would not "inform" people that we are struggling for two days. We are not "Smaller" and we are in no way "struggling". Since you have no access to our accounts and what not, how would you even know what we can and cannot support?

I find it inappropriate that you would pass judgment upon other conventions that you are not affiliated with like this.

First I would like to say that in the United States, the presumption of innocence (being considered innocent until proven guilty) is a legal right. Please ask Yamila her facts on this, before rushing to judgment.

Second, I do not approve of uninformed or non-sourced postings that are meant to be derogatory towards any person or event.

As the Anime Vegas President, I can say that Anime Vegas has worked with Anime Fannatiku since the inception in 2007. The event is always fun and the fans in St. George are fabulous.

I was not able to attend Anime St. George, as the second Saturday of the month is the Anime Vegas screening date. On October 10th, we had our annual Halloween Cosplay for Pocky in the theater. If you came to the screening you got to see two special guests performers too! We even had Halloween cakes (which was a bit scary looking, cat poop cake, graveyard cake with bones and brains)! Since the date has been moved to Sept. 25th, I will attempt to go to it next year.

Rich

SuperGeekGirl 
Con Regular
SuperGeekGirl
Loc: St. Louis, MO
Reg: 01-25-09

10-23-09 09:35 AM - Post#5602    
    In response to Rich

Let's not fight here. I wasn't trying to be mean, Axel. I was just saying that calling a popular guest a scum bag is not the best way to start out a convention. I like Yamila, and I don't think she's a bad person. I hate when people play the "but I didn't OUTRIGHT say that person was this" game. It's childish wordplay that doesn't fly with anyone except maybe a libel judge. You implied that you thought she was a scum bag, no matter what you actually wrote. It's just something important to remember for later posts. I made mistakes with what I type when I first started chairing conventions (I still make mistakes).

This whole Fannitaku vs. Anime St. George thing is frustrating because it 1.) is off-topic and 2.) is reminiscent of some idiocy I was involved in recently where every post anyone made positively about our convention was stalked and followed up by someone from another convention insulting us or, often, me personally (I've been called more things than I care to talk about in the last year).
When you're a convention chair, there will always be people to disagree with how you run things and think they can do better. Sometimes they can. Often they can't. You know what? It doesn't matter. Competition often breeds creativity. The worst way to deal with convention competition is what I see the most - spam posts on each others' forums, online stalking, smear campaigns, and even guerrilla-style trips to the other people's events.
Think before you make yourself look stupid by trying to insult the other group. A good policy may be not to talk about them at all in case you say something that can be used against you.
Carve out your own niche instead. Try new events or a unique approach to running a convention. Our niche is an immersive weekend experience that is heavily themed and technically slick (lighting, sound, a great masquerade).

I'm not trying to sound like a mod or anything, but this back-and-forth is not good for anyone.
Con Chair- Kawa Kon http://kawakon.com
Bishie Con http://bishiecon.com
Attending in 2010: EvilleCon, Naka-Kon, Kawa Kon, Steamposium, Costume-Con, Cape Comic Con, Marcon, OMGcon, NatsuCon, AnimeIowa, Archon, Motaku, Bishie Con, and maybe MTAC

PatrickD 
Executive Producer
PatrickD

10-23-09 09:50 AM - Post#5604    
    In response to SuperGeekGirl

• SuperGeekGirl Said:
This whole Fannitaku vs. Anime St. George thing is frustrating because it 1.) is off-topic

Yeah, so I'm going to lock this thread now.

The Las Vegas Eyewitness News link is in the original post. If there's other news at a later date, we can start a new thread.
-PatrickD

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Recent Topics
AnimeCons.com

AnimeCons.com Home | Conventions | Guests | Members | AnimeCons TV | Articles | Reports

FusionBB™ Version 2.2 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.328 seconds.   Total Queries: 75  
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 12:22 AM