Username Post: When a hero falls        (Topic#1452)
bwallach 

Reg: 10-25-09

10-25-09 06:48 PM - Post#5629    

• In reply to:
First I would like to say that in the United States, the presumption of innocence (being considered innocent until proven guilty) is a legal right. Please ask Yamila her facts on this, before rushing to judgment.

No matter what her rep is broken. i sure as hell wouldn't want a person who was acused of dealing drugs at my con innocent or guilty. it would just hurt the con. Would you?

We all work at cons trying to keep it safe.

meauho 
Con Addict
meauho
Loc: Houston(ish), Tx
Reg: 04-24-08

10-25-09 11:47 PM - Post#5633    
    In response to bwallach

That really depends on what they were doing at the con. As staff/ volunteer - no, even if they had not been convicted (yes, I do know about the other thread).

However, for the most part, I wouldn't really try to restrict people who were charged with drug dealing - cops are on site to deal with those issues; both contracted and as part of staff. Troubleshooters keep an eye open for issues, and legal issues are dealt with... legally - and typically as strongly as possible to make an example of the offender so others don't try the same stupid things.
Joshua Andrade

Bad Wolf Trading

Edited by meauho on 10-25-09 11:48 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

PatrickD 
Executive Producer
PatrickD
Loc: California
Reg: 12-07-06

10-26-09 09:16 AM - Post#5637    
    In response to bwallach

• bwallach Said:
Would you?

I think that sort of determination would need to be made on a case-by-case basis.
-PatrickD
AnimeCons.com Executive Producer
Co-Founder: Anime Boston and Providence Anime Conference
Host of The Chibi Project & Anime Unscripted™

SuperGeekGirl 
Con Regular
SuperGeekGirl
Loc: St. Louis, MO
Reg: 01-25-09

10-26-09 01:18 PM - Post#5644    
    In response to PatrickD

Seems like thread rebirth to me.

I've been through image-ruining legal issues with friends and family in the past and stuck by them with the belief that they were innocent (most of the time, they were). I want to believe the best in people, and, to be honest, most people don't find out unless it's on a huge news outlet. Most anime fans really don't spend that much time checking out the guests' backgrounds, and neither do their parents.

Anyway, as Yamila herself says (paraphrased), her reputation is already one of a smut-dealer and smut-writer, one of the worst things you can do in polite society, it seems. If you'd have the creator of Trach the Tentacle Monster at your convention, you already know she's no saint.
That's not to say that I think she's guilty of anything. That's just saying that... you know what? Tons of freaking celebrities are drug addicts, drug dealers, drunk drivers, etc. They come out on TV after they're convicted and say, "Oh, I'm so sorry," and people accept them back into the celebrity world. In fact, some of the actors who regularly appear at science fiction cons have been arrested, often for DUI or drug use. Of course, we all remember Christian Bale getting arrested for punching his sister. He's still revered and in very high demand. What if he punches a fan? Huh? HUH?! See what I'm saying?
Con Chair- Kawa Kon http://kawakon.com
Bishie Con http://bishiecon.com
Attending in 2010: EvilleCon, Naka-Kon, Kawa Kon, Steamposium, Costume-Con, Cape Comic Con, Marcon, OMGcon, NatsuCon, AnimeIowa, Archon, Motaku, Bishie Con, and maybe MTAC

Edited by SuperGeekGirl on 10-26-09 01:20 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

The History Follower 
Con Addict
The History Follower
Loc: WV
Reg: 01-02-07

10-29-09 10:56 AM - Post#5675    
    In response to SuperGeekGirl

Isn't she just charged with selling fake herbal medicine online, two years ago? It's not like she was selling crack to kids on the street.

I wouldn't invite her till after she's cleared and if she's not cleared then that's a bigger no as a guest.

I think the real question was about what St. George did and cancel her after she was already a guest. Personally I wouldn't; it's like kicking someone when they're down after they tried to help you out.

SuperGeekGirl 
Con Regular
SuperGeekGirl
Loc: St. Louis, MO
Reg: 01-25-09

10-29-09 11:29 AM - Post#5676    
    In response to The History Follower

Actually, it wasn't even that bad. The newspapers just dig up the worst possible penalties on the worst charge and print that rather than trying to find out what was actually recommended as the punishment.

If you read the original article carefully, what it really says is that a product was mislabeled. It had an ingredient that the packaging didn't list. Selling the herbal drugs wasn't the crime. Having the ingredient missing from the packaging was, especially when the ingredient was a medicinal ingredient (in normal cough syrup). When a prosecutor presses charges against someone, he/she tries to pin everything possible on the person in hopes that something sticks. Mail fraud is very often thrown out early, but it's something pretty much anyone who sells something mislabeled through the mail gets charged with.
Con Chair- Kawa Kon http://kawakon.com
Bishie Con http://bishiecon.com
Attending in 2010: EvilleCon, Naka-Kon, Kawa Kon, Steamposium, Costume-Con, Cape Comic Con, Marcon, OMGcon, NatsuCon, AnimeIowa, Archon, Motaku, Bishie Con, and maybe MTAC

A x e l - F 
Con Addict
A x e l - F
Loc: So. Utah
Reg: 07-08-09

11-17-09 12:57 PM - Post#5850    
    In response to The History Follower

I believe I am the best person to answer this since I am the head of the Anime St. George Convention.

St. George as well as Utah in general is a VERY conservative state. We where putting our necks on the line for just having someone who was selling Yaoi Manga (since Homosexuality is considered major taboo in this state and is an underground thing). When we received news from a concerned citizen about her pending drug investigation (whether or not the outcome of it) we canceled her because the fact that the media would have a field day with it and it would do nothing but hurt us in the end.

There were also of problems we had with her before this incident, which I will not discuss openly but it was part of our decision making process. What happens to Ms. Abraham's career now is left to wherever the chips may fall. We reserve the right to cancel a guest for reasons we deemed appropriate.
A x e l - F
Public Relations
Anime SG // Anime Bonanza

mackindesouza 

Reg: 10-22-10

10-22-10 06:25 AM - Post#7835    
    In response to bwallach

it is depend upon the the what type of the product you are looking for or the type of the advertisement of the product like you usually you can see that the product are mislabeled and the package are still not listed in the integrated form or in the label.
usually we see these things in herbal drugs. drugs selling is not a crime. but the details should be mention correctly.

Edited by PatrickD on 11-01-10 03:01 PM. Reason for edit: Necropost. This thread was dead for almsot a year. No need to resurrect the topic.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Recent Topics
AnimeCons.com

AnimeCons.com Home | Conventions | Guests | Members | AnimeCons TV | Articles | Reports

FusionBB™ Version 2.2 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.257 seconds.   Total Queries: 44  
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 04:30 PM