Username Post: Ensemble voice casts        (Topic#1463)
billsvoice 

Reg: 11-01-09

11-01-09 04:01 AM - Post#5683    

Hi everybody,
My name is Bill Rogers. I am a NY based voice actor who has worked on a number of shows for Right Stuf and Media Blasters. I've also done a number of con appearances. My bio can be found here:
http://www.animecons.com/guests/bio.shtml/650

Over the last few years, I have traveled to quite a few conventions with pal and fellow VA Michele Knotz. However, earlier this year I also had the good fortune of doing a convention with a good portion of the cast from both Gravitation and Genshiken (we did a panel/signing at AnimeNext in NJ). Since then I have been in contact with the actors who attended the con and some who were planning to but could not make it. The overwhelming response from these folks is that they want to do more of these shows. I spoke with Patrick about this and he suggested I post here and try to gauge if there are conventions out there that would be interested in having ensemble casts from either (or both) of these shows to their conventions.
So my question is, does anybody know if there are cons out there that are interested in getting multiple cast members from shows to their cons, or is this usually too costly a task to take on? And if they are interested, what conventions would be my best bet to approach?
Most of the actors that I work with haven't had the opportunity to be invited to conventions, but I feel this might be a good thing as these may be the fresh faces that cons are looking for instead of having the same guests over and over again.
Plus with us on the tail end of recording for Genshiken Season 2, we are involved in a show that is current in the eyes of fandom.
Any ideas or suggestions of how we can get the group out there and into a town near you?
Let me know.

Thanks,
Bill Rogers

SuperGeekGirl 
Con Regular
SuperGeekGirl
Loc: St. Louis, MO
Reg: 01-25-09

11-01-09 05:32 PM - Post#5685    
    In response to billsvoice

Those are always nice. My only issue is that I'm a chair of small conventions without the budget to bring many voice actors to the event. Unfortunately, there are VAs out there who demand that conventions bring along other VAs to do panels with them before they'll agree to go to a convention. This isn't many VAs, but it's a few of the ones who go to conventions regularly. They want to do specific panels with another VA and refuse to come without him/her. Generally, I pass over those people pretty quick, especially if said secondary VA only did that one voice in that one show that one time.

That's my only problem with ensemble casts. It's great if we ask a VA to help us find the rest of the cast of something but not so great when they say, "You can either have two, three, four people from this cast or no one."
Con Chair- Kawa Kon http://kawakon.com
Bishie Con http://bishiecon.com
Attending in 2010: EvilleCon, Naka-Kon, Kawa Kon, Steamposium, Costume-Con, Cape Comic Con, Marcon, OMGcon, NatsuCon, AnimeIowa, Archon, Motaku, Bishie Con, and maybe MTAC

billsvoice 

Reg: 11-01-09

11-02-09 12:47 AM - Post#5686    
    In response to SuperGeekGirl

• SuperGeekGirl Said:

That's my only problem with ensemble casts. It's great if we ask a VA to help us find the rest of the cast of something but not so great when they say, "You can either have two, three, four people from this cast or no one."

Well, I'm not really pushing cons to take a package deal if they don't want to. The actors are a varied group with differing levels of resumes. Some have worked on many titles, some have only worked on a few. And there are a few secondary characters who have more titles under their belt then some of the leads. Since most of the actors have little exposure to cons, I figure that my contacting conventions on their behalf will give the con the opportunity to let me know what exactly they are looking for and then I could get them in touch with the actors that best suit their needs.
Michele Knotz and I already do this on a smaller scale. Often when one of us is contacted by a convention we will suggest the other as we have both worked on many titles together. But there are plenty of times where only she will get invited or only I will get invited and in those cases we never refuse a convention on those grounds.

Drorain 
Con Addict
Drorain
Loc: Massachusetts
Reg: 01-18-07

11-02-09 09:42 AM - Post#5687    

I Love the idea, and think it'll be awesome seeing you guys together at Another Anime Con this year. Really looking forward to it!
I'ma Designer! PowderKeg Graphic Design
I'ma Blogger too! Holy Carp!

Prager 
Attendee

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Reg: 10-22-09

11-12-09 02:31 PM - Post#5774    

Ensemble cast appearances have been done before. Anime Boston had the cast of Gundam Wing their first year... 'Course, that was Anime Boston, so they had the money to do so...

Typically, if you and your cast mates are interested in doing ensemble appearances (And the volume and type of programming that will likely be expected of you... I mean, ensemble casts tend to be very busy with both their individual stuff as well as the combined stuff...) then your best bet is to start with the medium sized cons and work your way up.

A lot of first year cons or smaller cons, just aren't going to have the scratch to bring in a full, large cast. The moderately sized players in the convention scene (I'm trying to think of a good starting point here... Would Tekko have had the money and the space to do a full size cast at 1500 attendees? No, not really... Maybe at 2000 or 2500.) might be interested.

My other suggestion: If you want to approach a con about this, do it EARLY in their planning cycle. This will be a scheduling nightmare if not worked out properly, so give the programming people at the convention time to work out how to get you into everything you need to go to without the aid of human cloning. (I've been to shows where popular acts were scheduled to be in multiple places at once...) The earlier you can get on the GOH roster, the better off you will likely be.

Just my two cents...
John Prager:
Board of directors member, Tekkoshocon Inc. 2005-present

Tekkoshocon Senior Staff since 2003

Nerd and all around curmudgeon for much longer...

Edited by Prager on 11-12-09 02:33 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

PatrickD 
Executive Producer
PatrickD
Loc: California
Reg: 12-07-06

11-12-09 03:11 PM - Post#5775    
    In response to Prager

• Prager Said:
Ensemble cast appearances have been done before. Anime Boston had the cast of Gundam Wing their first year... 'Course, that was Anime Boston, so they had the money to do so...

That was the first year where we never thought we'd pass 1500 people...let alone 4000. You're assuming we had known up front that we'd have 4110 people, which definitely was not the case.
-PatrickD
AnimeCons.com Executive Producer
Co-Founder: Anime Boston and Providence Anime Conference
Host of The Chibi Project & Anime Unscripted™

Prager 
Attendee

11-13-09 11:34 AM - Post#5787    
    In response to PatrickD

Oh, I'm not assuming anything. I would never speculate as to why y'all did something, but you did have a perfect storm of circumstance that year...

Really, getting the cast was an inspired decision on your part. (Which, I imagine, brought up its own share of problems. Growth that explosive can be hard to deal with.) All I am saying is that many small cons aren't going to want to take the same risk, especially since (unlike them.) you were projecting around 1500, (which is almost not a risky projection point for considering getting an entire ensemble...) Doing that when your projections are at 3-500 would be suicidal.

(Remember, before AB, the highest attendance at a first year anime con was... I'm trying to remember... Somewhere around 330? I think that's about right.)
John Prager:

Prager 
Attendee

11-13-09 11:55 AM - Post#5789    
    In response to Prager

I was wrong... (I checked the numbers you have posted here...) We had 600.

Wow, I had totally forgotten.
John Prager:

PatrickD 
Executive Producer
PatrickD
Loc: California
Reg: 12-07-06

11-13-09 12:12 PM - Post#5791    
    In response to Prager

• Prager Said:
(Remember, before AB, the highest attendance at a first year anime con was... I'm trying to remember... Somewhere around 330? I think that's about right.)

Big Apple Anime Fest 2001 claimed to have 3,500 people. If they counted using the turnstile method (which seems likely considering they admitted doing that in later years) then the difference could be even greater.
http://www.animecons.com/events/info.shtml/445

The largest New England con at the time had been Mikkakan with 330 people. AB originally estimated double that...rounding up to 750. As pre-registrations came in, estimates were revised. Final pre-reg was in the 1,300 range, IIRC...so maybe 2,000 to 2,500 total? Heh.
-PatrickD
AnimeCons.com Executive Producer
Co-Founder: Anime Boston and Providence Anime Conference
Host of The Chibi Project & Anime Unscripted™

SuperGeekGirl 
Con Regular
SuperGeekGirl
Loc: St. Louis, MO
Reg: 01-25-09

11-16-09 11:03 AM - Post#5819    
    In response to PatrickD

At Naka-Kon 08, they had all of the main characters from Lupin the 3rd except Goemon and Fujiko (so Jigen, Lupin, and Zenigata). My husband and his best friend went to the panel as Lupin and Goemon, but the voice actors couldn't remember Goemon's name! Lupin said (in his Lupin voice), "We have special guests in the audience tonight... Lupin and... um... that samurai guy!" It was actually quite funny.
Con Chair- Kawa Kon http://kawakon.com
Bishie Con http://bishiecon.com
Attending in 2010: EvilleCon, Naka-Kon, Kawa Kon, Steamposium, Costume-Con, Cape Comic Con, Marcon, OMGcon, NatsuCon, AnimeIowa, Archon, Motaku, Bishie Con, and maybe MTAC

The History Follower 
Con Addict
The History Follower
Loc: WV
Reg: 01-02-07

11-22-09 03:20 PM - Post#5917    
    In response to SuperGeekGirl

• SuperGeekGirl Said:
At Naka-Kon 08, they had all of the main characters from Lupin the 3rd except Goemon and Fujiko (so Jigen, Lupin, and Zenigata).

Which set Geneon, Funimation, Manga Entertainment, AnimEigo, or Streamline?

Drorain 
Con Addict
Drorain
Loc: Massachusetts
Reg: 01-18-07

11-23-09 08:35 AM - Post#5918    
    In response to The History Follower

Bill, Wendy, Chris, Tiffany and Michelle...all together on stage was awesome. I was only able to catch the Voice acting versus Stage acting panel, but the energy of the group was great. Thank you all for coming to Another Anime Con
I'ma Designer! PowderKeg Graphic Design
I'ma Blogger too! Holy Carp!

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Recent Topics
AnimeCons.com

AnimeCons.com Home | Conventions | Guests | Members | AnimeCons TV | Articles | Reports

FusionBB™ Version 2.2 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.207 seconds.   Total Queries: 52  
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 12:21 AM