Username Post: Looking for opinions: Getting older as a fan        (Topic#1820)
Nigoki 
Obsessed with robots
Nigoki
Reg: 02-25-09

07-08-10 05:25 AM - Post#7344    

I'm starting to plan out a panel around the idea of “The Aging Otaku” (working title). Some people know that Providence Anime Conference, which was limited to 21+ attendees was a good event, but didn’t take off for a variety of reasons. Despite that, the people who did go had a lot of fun.

While I’m in the amorphous blob stage of planning this, I have some questions that I’d like to ask people about getting older and still being a fan. Feel free to answer as many or as few questions that you’d like. Please also feel free to send me private topic if you’d rather not post your answers publicly. Any quotes, data, etc I pull from your responses will remain anonymous unless I specifically ask if I can use your name.

- How old are you?

-What do you consider your gateway into anime/manga?

-Around what age did you become a serious fan? (Approximate)

-What has helped you nurture your interest in anime/manga over the years? What has hurt it?

-What are your feelings on anime conventions? How have those feelings changed over time?

-What do you see as some of obstacles older fans face?

-How do you view fans that are significantly older or younger than you?

- [24 and older fans only] What particular advice would you give to a fan that is getting older?

-Any additional thoughts/comments:
-Doug Wilder
Resident Mecha fanboy of AnimeCons TV!

A x e l - F 
Con Addict
A x e l - F
Loc: So. Utah
Reg: 07-08-09

07-08-10 01:33 PM - Post#7345    
    In response to Nigoki

- How old are you? 20

-What do you consider your gateway into anime/manga? Not quite sure the meaning of this question but if you mean how I got into anime/manga? I found Yu-Gi-Oh on TV one day and started watching it. Started chatting with other fans online and learned more about it and about other anime and manga. I eventually found in interest in wanting to read and watch them myself to see what the hype was all about. I'm glad I did because I became rooted to the point that I learned Japanese and spent a few weeks over in Japan myself.

-Around what age did you become a serious fan? (Approximate) 15 I would have to say. First time I was introduce to anime on Adult Swim.

-What has helped you nurture your interest in anime/manga over the years? What has hurt it? Taking Japanese Language Classes and becoming more involved in the cultural aspects of the people who created it. The US only get's translated versions of the originals. It was nice to expand and see some of the Anime and Manga in it's original form. The first day I walked into a Japanese Used Media Store and saw more Manga then I have ever new existed in the world, who look at it in a whole new way. I can't say much has hurt my love for anime/manga aside from the price tag that the US puts on it. While you can get a manga in japan for 300 yen or less or 500 for new (about $3 and $5 US Dollars) you pay at least $8.99 or more for it in the US. Anime is also around $20.00 or more here.

-What are your feelings on anime conventions? How have those feelings changed over time? I don't travel so much to conventions out side my town but on the upside, it has lead me to host my own anime convention locally.

-What do you see as some of obstacles older fans face? While I am not quite faced with this problem yet, a lot of people see an older fan at a convention as being a bit odd. Like they should have something better to do with their lives. A fan is a fan is a fan.

-How do you view fans that are significantly older or younger than you? Younger kid tend not to know the classics and only see what is the 'fad' of today and tend to think that they know everything there is to know about anime/manga. As for those who are much older then me, I do admit that I find it a bit odd to see someone who is in their later years hanging out with a crowed much younger then themselves but again, you can't judge a book by it's cover. I will most likely be cosplaying with my kids when I'm a mother. However, there is still a point when you need to do it tastefully. As you get older, cosplay older characters. Don't try to stay a young fan when you are not a young fan anymore.

-Any additional thoughts/comments: Not really. I think I ended up covering it all in the other questions. Sorry I went a little off topic at times.
A x e l - F
Public Relations
Anime SG // Anime Bonanza

Edited by A x e l - F on 07-08-10 01:36 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

K2theninja 
Attendee
K2theninja
Loc: Helena MT
Reg: 01-19-11

01-21-11 10:36 AM - Post#8202    
    In response to Nigoki

How old are you?

Saturday morning cartoons on Fox; Digimon, Monster Rancher and Escaflowne and Cartoon Network's Toonami; with Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, Inuyasha, Rurouni Kenshin, Cyborg 009, Code Lycko, and Yu Yu Hakashu.

15-16ish, with .Hack/Sign, Cowboy Bebop,and FMA

-What has helped you nurture your interest in anime/manga over the years? What has hurt it? (Help) Moving on from enjoying anime as an artform, to enjoying the Vocal talent behind the dubbing. Plushies (need I say more?)

(Hurt) The price of box sets (sooner or later you reach a point of having to decide whether or not you will spend your money on new titles/series you haven't seen yet, or try to keep up with the 'fad' shows that everyone else is digging and/or continuing current shows you are watching that never seem to end) The state of the dubbing industry due to pirating; also the flaming that sometimes occurs over the battle of Sub vs. Dub

-What are your feelings on anime conventions? How have those feelings changed over time?
Big fan of conventions, even though I haven't attended too many, it has led me to assisting with several and hopefully continue to in the future.

Rise of conservatism; older fans are most likely to get to a point where their thoughts on what's 'risque' starts to change drasticlly from when they were younger. The same can be said about violence. Fear of obsoletion; as fans get older, fewer new fans of anime will likely recognize the 'masterpieces' of days of yore; Cowboy Bebop, FMA, Evangelion, etc.

(Older) a mix of awe and respect; awe because I can't imagine having to watch shows like the original Astro Boy, Speed Racer and Battle of the Planets. Respect, because they've been fans of anime longer than I have and have some crazy convention stories, and even though they are old, they still like the same stuff I do.
(Younger) a mix of pride and disdain; pride because their parents or at least the fans of anime have been doing their part to spread the awesomeness that is anime, and getting the next generation to learn the enjoyment to be had at anime cons, cosplay and anime in general. Disdain because a lot of these youngsters seem to be obsessed with just one or two shows, and think that the latest 'fad' show (like Death Note) as the say all end all anime show.

- [24 and older fans only] What particular advice would you give to a fan that is getting older?
Realize the average lifecycle of a popular anime series is only about two and a half years, and there are really only about a dozen scenerios that animes storylines are based off of, with few changes. That said, this shouldn't stop you from exploring these differences and enjoying each show for what it is (or finding your little niche of titles that you prefer, since we all can't be Mecha lovers, or Cyberpunk, etc) Also, no matter how cool the techniques are, Naruto is still a show about preteen ninjas, and sooner or later that will dawn on you, and the show will cease to be as cool as the inital premise seems/seemed to you at the time (Again, it's still worth watching as far as you can endure). Learn to enjoy other aspects of anime, than just the art or story; take up an interest in the vocal talents; or the additional talents behind the vocal talents; Kate Higgins, Mela Lee, Cindy Robinson, Vic Mignogna, Johnny Yong Bosch, Mary Elizabeth McGlynn and Melissa Fahn all are extremely talented musicians, Travis Willingham has done several on camera appearances in movies (The Guardian, Secondhand Lions), Yuri Lowenthal and Tara Platt have their own independent film company with their first film coming out soon, not to mention they are authors as well (check out their book Voice over Voice Actors: What's it like behind the Mic); Kate Higgins has also starred in an independent film (Green Valley). Finally, don't be a doush; don't be that 30+ year old guy/gal that tries to get autographs from VA's to sell at inflated prices on eBay or other auction sites; or puts other anime fans down because they haven't been as big of fans of anime as you have, like telling them ''back in my day; we called it 'Japananime''

-Any additional thoughts/comments:
Industrial Liaison Lead for MT anime conventions 2011

Sugoku Con Cosplay Picnic 2011 (Canceled; Prepping for full Con in '12')
Nagu Con (August 19-21?)
Electrycon (Canceled)

Isabel Night 
Attendee
Isabel Night
Loc: Southern Maryland
Reg: 03-03-11

03-12-11 08:40 PM - Post#8517    
    In response to K2theninja

• How old are you? - 27 Years Old
  • What do you consider your gateway into anime/manga - My very first anime as a kid was a really old show in the USA called Tekknoman. When it played on UPN 20 on Saturday Morning, my brother and I would get up early to watch it. It was my gateway until I got older and then watched Ronin Warriors.
  • Around what age did you become a serious fan? (Approximate) - Young adult, about 20 to 21 years old.
  • What has helped you nurture your interest in anime/manga over the years? What has hurt it? - I still cling to the old school stuff far more than the newer stuff. The classics, Cowboy Bebop, Ronin Warriors, Outlaw Star, etc. It has probably hurt my chances of liking newer animes. I just think the older stuff is better than the stuff coming out now.
  • What are your feelings on anime conventions? How have those feelings changed over time? - Anime conventions are fine. I enjoy going to them and the panels. After seeing so many panels at conventions, I'm starting to get up the nerve to actually do a panel workshop on Yukata-dressing. While this doesn't sound strange to others who have done panels, as someone who has trouble in social settings, this is a big step for me in being social.
  • What do you see as some obstacles older fans face? - I think the more serious you take the anime culture as you get older, there is the ability to see past the anime and actually deal with real-life Japanese culture. I belong to a message board called Immortal Geisha, and from their advice on Kimono/Yukata dressing, as well as real Geiko/Maiko/Geisha/Half-C harge culture, it tends to bring up the foundation of anime. While many younger people like anime, few dig deeper into the real culture of Japan. I think that only gets noticed when you get older.
  • How do you view fans that are significantly older or younger than you? - As long as teen fans or young adults don't glomp me, shower, wash or dry-clean their costumes, and obey the rules of the convention, I see nothing wrong with them.
  • [24 and older fans only] What particular advice would you give to a fan that is getting older? - If you like anime, but want to dig deeper into the Japanese culture, feel free to do your own research. If that means buying and annotated version of the Tale of Genji, then feel free to do so. Also, if you like an anime that have characters dressing in Kimonos or Yukatas, do some research on them or go to a panel on Kimonos/Yukatas, their history, etc.
  • Any additional thoughts/comments - Researching, either for general knowledge or to write a fan fiction, is helpful. Also, the F7 Key wishes to be cuddled.
In your conventions, wearing my Yukata!

Edited by Isabel Night on 03-12-11 08:40 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Nigoki 
Obsessed with robots
Nigoki

03-13-11 03:01 AM - Post#8518    
    In response to Isabel Night

• Isabel Night Said:
What do you consider your gateway into anime/manga - My very first anime as a kid was a really old show in the USA called Tekknoman. When it played on UPN 20 on Saturday Morning, my brother and I would get up early to watch it. It was my gateway until I got older and then watched Ronin Warriors.

That's a new one for me. I'd never heard someone declare Tekknoman as their starter. I've got the original form of the show, Tekkaman Blade, sitting in my backlog.

• Isabel Night Said:
If you like anime, but want to dig deeper into the Japanese culture, feel free to do your own research. If that means buying and annotated version of the Tale of Genji, then feel free to do so. Also, if you like an anime that have characters dressing in Kimonos or Yukatas, do some research on them or go to a panel on Kimonos/Yukatas, their history, etc.

One of the points that came up in discussion with the audience at AUSA this past year was just that, look into things further. Attending a panel is a great avenue, but another great way to challenge and push yourself is to organize one. There have been times when I realized how much more I have to learn about a topic, just by preparing for a panel.
-Doug Wilder

Nigoki 
Obsessed with robots
Nigoki

03-13-11 03:11 AM - Post#8519    
    In response to Nigoki

Just wanted to pass along that I've been keeping an eye on this thread, lots of good feedback has come in.

I hosted the first version of a panel I formed from this at Anime USA 2010, it was titled "The Aging Otaku". My hope is to revise it some more and run it again at Otakon this year, and some other events in the future.

New Question: If you've ever faced a period where you felt like leaving the anime fandom, what sparked it? What brought you back?
-Doug Wilder

Isabel Night 
Attendee
Isabel Night
Loc: Southern Maryland
Reg: 03-03-11

03-13-11 01:23 PM - Post#8520    
    In response to Nigoki

When I started living on my own about 3 - 4 years ago, I had "adult" things to worry about. Bills, rent, saving money for trips, etc. At one point, I just didn't care about anime or conventions because I wanted to go on a cruise.

Well, I went on my cruise, but it just wasn't the same without anime or conventions. I rekindled my love for conventions and anime when my anime club at my local community college went to Anime USA 2010. By then I had joined a site called Immortal Geisha, and was trying to make a decent Yukata dressing for the convention. It didn't go quite as planned, but people loved the outfit.

I'd say AUSA 2010 really got me back into the anime and convention scene.
In your conventions, wearing my Yukata!

VickiS 
Attendee

Loc: Monroe, NC
Reg: 10-01-13

10-02-13 12:31 AM - Post#12894    
    In response to Nigoki

-I started watching when I was about 8. My sister babysat me and my best friend together and he got me started on Pokemon; we watched some of the movies together too. I also took to watching Yu-Gi-Oh and playing the game with boys at the YMCA daycare before and after school. I found Inuyasha and Fullmetal Alchemist on Adult Swim, but stupid bedtime got in my way. I watched some Miyazaki movies at a friend's birthday party when I was 13 and got hooked.
-16-17. My best friend is a total anime geek and she's made it her goal to "corrupt" me with anime. She's doing her job well.
-Hanging out with my Otaku friends and exploring the internet. Nothing has hurt it except prices on merchandise.
-I've only gone to two conventions and I loved them. I plan to attend more.
-You probably get some odd looks since people probably think you should be out doing something else. Who cares?
-(Older) I wish I had more of them around so I wouldn't get so many blank stares; I hate that I keep having to explain that youkai aren't necessarily evil like Western demons only to get disbelief and a "whatever" from my relatives (I also had to explain that it's "sake" not "socky"; at least my brother-in-law recognized it). I officially love my sisters' men because they like anime too; my brother-in-law will watch Fullmetal Alchemist with me and my other sister's boyfriend is going to send me anime as a late birthday present.
-(Younger) My six-year-old niece likes Pikachu and liked what she saw of Inuyasha, so that's a start. Between me and my brother-in-law I'm proud to say that the kids will probably be geeks. I don't mind so much if kids are stuck on a "fad" one or just one or two since they're just getting started. I had my little Pokemone and Yu-Gi-Oh phase and grew out of it. They'll either continue to grow as fans or lose interest in anime, but it's a start. We all have our starting points.

Additional comments: The more the merrier! I don't give a hoot about your age!

Edited by VickiS on 10-02-13 12:36 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Mega Negi 

Reg: 10-04-13

10-04-13 02:41 AM - Post#12900    
    In response to Nigoki

- How old are you? OLD.

-What do you consider your gateway into anime/manga? Urusei Yatsura

-Around what age did you become a serious fan? (Approximate) Neolithic

-What has helped you nurture your interest in anime/manga over the years? What has hurt it? The internet. People on the internet.

-What are your feelings on anime conventions? How have those feelings changed over time? I need them to make money. I'd prefer it if they were run more professionally.

-What do you see as some of obstacles older fans face? Increasingly, DIABEETUS. Most older fans aren't in the greatest of physical shape.

-How do you view fans that are significantly older or younger than you? Older? Younger: yer all lucky you didn't have to fight for a 4th generation copy of a random assortment of untranslated tv episodes. Although the advertisements made it all worth it sometimes.

- [24 and older fans only] What particular advice would you give to a fan that is getting older? Exercise. When you get to be my age, you don't want to be one of the broken down, electric wheelchair-bound ones.

-Any additional thoughts/comments: Seriously, exercise. And don't ever smoke.

lechatkuro 

Loc: USA
Reg: 07-10-14

07-10-14 04:51 AM - Post#13914    
    In response to Nigoki

- How old are you?

I'm 25.

Sailor Moon and Mega Man. They were on channel 12 when I was in preschool. Mind you, it was the just ... AWFUL dubs, but oh. Oh, did I ever fall in love.

I became a more serious fan about 5 years later, at the age of 10. My dad, of all people, told me he'd been looking for some Sailor Moon stuff for me online and he'd run into some "comic books" and a "tv cartoon in japanese". He went ahead and bought them and that really sparked it off.

-What has helped you nurture your interest in anime/manga over the years? What has hurt it?

Having a really awesome base of real-life friends to completely nerd out with is really what nurtured me. As far as hurting it? That's ... gotta be the really insane fans. It's really the same thing that turned me off to sci-fi or fantasy in general. The really, REALLY insane fans that are a small but exceptionally vocal bit of the fanbase just ... drive me absolutely insane. Sometimes, to the point that I refuse to admit I'm a fan.

I used to go to conventions nearly religiously. I went every year from age 10 to about 15. After that, I had some serious "real-world" stuff hit the fan, and I just didn't have the ability to go. By 17, I wasn't even watching anime anymore.

I'm nervous. I'm planning on going back for the first time in 10-ish years in 2015 and hitting my old circut. Anime Expo, Fanime, etc. But this time, with a husband and kid in tow!

So far, I'm not sure. I'm VERY recently back into being a fan at all! The only real ones I've faces is how utterly ANCIENT I feel despite really still being very young. Talking to some people on tumblr or on the various anime forums just ... I'll realise I'm having a debate with a 14 year old or something and just DIE a little inside.

Older than me? They give me hope. Maybe my husband (38) and I aren't too old for this!

Younger? Depends on their attitude and level of respect. If they're running amok, uncontrolled and wild like little beasts; glomping and groping and screeching -- I have a huge problem. If they're well behaved, but passionate and fun, then I'm really rather fond of them.

I don't know. Hah! I'm coming here looking for advice, myself!

-Any additional thoughts/comments: All I can say is that I'm nervous. It's very odd feeling like I've gone from being 14 and surrounded by people my own age who are just as excited about this random anime as I am -- to a wife and mother who is shyly admitting she's got a serious "thing" for this "odd Japanese cartoon stuff".

There's nothing like the looks you get at Christmas when you're down on the floor playing Yu-Gi-Oh cards and arguing over Pokemon with the 8 year olds.

I'm really hoping that anime conventions don't feel like that. lol

HannahOtakuBanana 

Loc: Wisconsin
Reg: 01-30-15

01-30-15 08:51 PM - Post#14292    
    In response to Nigoki

- How old are you?

18. I know, I'm not that old.

Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, and Naruto (that was a big one for me.)

15. It was the summer after my freshman year of high school, and I was going through my obligatory emo phase. Watching anime actually put an end to that.

Help-Watching great anime reviewers, listening to great anime-related podcasts, and going to conventions.
Hurt-People on the Internet, especially those people who say that "Naruto/One Piece/Attack on Titan/Kill La Kill is the best anime EVAR." I will admit that I used to be like that with Naruto. I also think people who dislike dubs just for the sake of disliking dubs and people that regularly pirate anime are hurting the industry.

I love them, especially the smaller ones. The smaller ones like No Brand Con, feel like a family. Bigger ones can be overwhelming.
Criticism such as "Aren't you too old to be watching cartoons?" Also, older fans might feel ostracized by the fact that the average anime viewer is becoming younger and younger.

Older-Kudos to them to for putting up with horrible dubs and not being able to instantly stream anime. They are generally people that I respect.
Younger-I'm glad that more and more people of all ages are getting exposed to anime. I also believe that we otakus who deal with children regularly should try to expose them to age-appropriate anime; that way, when they are old enough to fully appreciate anime, they will. We are raising the next generation of otaku.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Recent Topics
AnimeCons.com

AnimeCons.com Home | Conventions | Guests | Members | AnimeCons TV | Articles | Reports

FusionBB™ Version 2.2 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.491 seconds.   Total Queries: 50  
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 11:56 AM