Username Post: Guest Suggestion Threads        (Topic#1942)
PatrickD 
Executive Producer
PatrickD
Loc: California
Reg: 12-07-06

11-01-10 03:00 PM - Post#7876    

Maybe it's just me, but when a convention sets aside a forum or thread for guest suggestions, it seems like the convention might as well title it, "Name all the guests you possibly can!" When people are just naming off every voice actor from every show, it seems to make those forums and/or threads pointless.

...about as pointless as people "seconding" suggestions when it's not a voting process. (Could you imagine if a convention really DID select guests solely based on popular vote? That would be chaos...and expensive!)
-PatrickD
AnimeCons.com Executive Producer
Co-Founder: Anime Boston and Providence Anime Conference
Host of The Chibi Project & Anime Unscripted™

Proz 
Con Addict
Proz
Loc: Texas
Reg: 08-08-07

11-01-10 10:56 PM - Post#7881    
    In response to PatrickD

I'm going to have to agree. They can be taken as a gauge on suggestions but they are usually a splattering of current "hot" voice actors at the time of posting. There will be a lot of unreasonable requests in especially in getting obscure Japanese guests, too. As once told to me, it really doesn't matter who is requested as the person making the suggestion will be there at the convention anyway (for the most part). I do find it funny that it never fails every year to see a plethora of popular J-Rock bands requested with the presumption that the convention can just get on the phone and make it so.

By now, a sensible convention will know who is there for the fans who will work with a convention within their means and who is there for a paycheck.
San Japan - San Antonio, Texas - Convention Chairman

The History Follower 
Con Addict
The History Follower
Loc: WV
Reg: 01-02-07

11-01-10 11:28 PM - Post#7882    
    In response to Proz

I saw a guest request thread for a first year one day con where this person was naming all these big name Japanese seiyu and bands. Someone pointed out that those suggestions were too out there and a waste of time, the person made another post under that one suggesting more of the same.

I think the title for most guest request threads should be "make what ever posts you want in here cause it's not like we're going to look at them anyways."

Though I did make a suggest to a con and they got them.

PatrickD 
Executive Producer
PatrickD

11-02-10 02:18 AM - Post#7883    
    In response to Proz

Yeah, for the Japanese guests it's more of a question of "Who can we get?" rather than "Who do we want to get?" Contacts in Japan are often quite limited and those contacts don't exactly have free reign for all voice actors, directors, animators, and others over there. If you're lucky, that contact will say, "Well, I've got X, Y, and Z. Which would you like?"

Compared to naming off every English-speaking voice actor under the sun, requesting Japanese guests seems even more pointless.
-PatrickD

The History Follower 
Con Addict
The History Follower

11-02-10 03:47 PM - Post#7886    
    In response to PatrickD

Personally I only try to make suggestions now when I have a website of said guest to give them. It helps give the con a place to start trying reach the person. Well that's how I feel.

ResurgamFirstCare 
Attendee

Reg: 10-22-10

11-02-10 06:46 PM - Post#7887    
    In response to The History Follower

Sooooo.... are you guys saying that the whole aspect of putting up guest suggestion threads on con forums is useless because you're not even going to bother looking at them?

Ouch. Kinda betrays the attendees, y'know? It makes it sound like you don't care.

Proz 
Con Addict
Proz
Loc: Texas
Reg: 08-08-07

11-03-10 01:35 AM - Post#7888    
    In response to ResurgamFirstCare

We would truly care if the word "reasonable" was included in the 'suggestions'. What's being pointed out is the constant "unreasonable" requests that's posted in the threads disregarding logistics & cost.

Attendees tend to have an skewed perception that conventions of all/any type & size have this magic power to make any guest appear out of thin air.
San Japan - San Antonio, Texas - Convention Chairman

PatrickD 
Executive Producer
PatrickD

11-03-10 01:51 AM - Post#7889    
    In response to Proz

• Proz Said:
Attendees tend to have an skewed perception that conventions of all/any type & size have this magic power to make any guest appear out of thin air.

...and when the 10 guests they listed aren't invited, they get all bent out of shape.

I've also seen people suggest bands that broke up years ago or people who have died. You'd think if it was their "favorite" band or person as they claim, they'd have known.
-PatrickD

The History Follower 
Con Addict
The History Follower

11-03-10 04:46 PM - Post#7892    
    In response to ResurgamFirstCare

• ResurgamFirstCare Said:
Sooooo.... are you guys saying that the whole aspect of putting up guest suggestion threads on con forums is useless because you're not even going to bother looking at them?

No if you are smart about it suggestions are great. Some cons do take what their attendees say and look into getting those guests.

PatrickD 
Executive Producer
PatrickD

11-03-10 06:18 PM - Post#7894    
    In response to The History Follower

Write a post asking for a guest that contains a well written message which includes some popular works that the guest has appeared in as well as links to IMDb, Wikipedia, and the guest's own web site. If you really want the guest, don't make the con do all the work. Tell them who the person is and give them links for more info. This will get your suggestion MUCH more attention than the guy who just posts something like this:

• BAD EXAMPLE Said:
I want to see Vic Mignogna, Greg Ayres, Steve Bennett, Robert DeJesus, Tiffany Grant, Jan Scott-Frazier, Doug Smith, Kyle Hebert, Emily DeJesus, and Monica Rial!

-PatrickD

Gale 
Sacrificial White Mage
Gale
Loc: New England
Reg: 03-08-09

04-02-11 09:35 AM - Post#8627    
    In response to PatrickD

I don't discourage fans from creating guest suggestion threads, as sometimes they do come up with good ideas we wouldn't think of on our own, but I never make them myself. It's good to know who they want, and if it is someone reasonable we do look into them. Of course, being multi-genre, ConnectiCon has a much larger scope of who we can invite so it's nice to have some help targeting and narrowing things down.
AnimeCons.com contributor

ConnectiCon Director of Guest Relations

some guy 
Attendee

Reg: 07-27-10

04-03-11 02:47 PM - Post#8639    
    In response to Proz

• Proz Said:

well, we all know human transmutation is illegal...

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Recent Topics
AnimeCons.com

AnimeCons.com Home | Conventions | Guests | Members | AnimeCons TV | Articles | Reports

FusionBB™ Version 2.2 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.489 seconds.   Total Queries: 52  
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 09:50 PM