Username Post: Question regarding prizes/giveaways and budget        (Topic#2019)
K2theninja 
Attendee
K2theninja
Loc: Helena MT
Reg: 01-19-11

01-19-11 10:35 PM - Post#8189    

I'm not sure if this question has been asked before, as I did not find anything related to it in any of the other posts for First Year Assistance. I'm relatively new in the Convention staff scene, I helped staff my first convention last year (it was relatively successful with about 200 attendees). But this year I am assisting with 2 new first time conventions, as well as helping with a cosplay picnic event that the first convention I helped out with is putting on. Being new to this kind of job, I'm pretty sure I'm breaking some unspoken Convention rule about supporting a Con out of your own pocket; but I really want these Cons to be successful, so I have spent the last 6 months or so, prior to assisting these conventions buying small trinkets (like keychains and pocky) as well as some 'bigger' items to used as giveaways during anime trivia challenges, contests and during the opening and closing ceremonies. My question to the more experienced Guest Relations Leads, are what is the 'average' percentage of a Con's budget, would you say typically goes into this sort of activity, when you don't have Industrial SWAG, or sponsors to offset the cost?

On a side note,I have also emailed several Voice Actors for support with autographs and been fairly successful in that endeavor, as a way to make the Cons better for attendees, (since there is no budget for Industry guests yet) and I figure with an average retailed price of $5 per autograph, by the time the Cons roll around, I'll have brought in between $200-$300 worth of autographs for each Con I am working with(I have to be impartial, since I am the Guest Relations Lead for both Cons).
Industrial Liaison Lead for MT anime conventions 2011

Sugoku Con Cosplay Picnic 2011 (Canceled; Prepping for full Con in '12')
Nagu Con (August 19-21?)
Electrycon (Canceled)

A x e l - F 
Con Addict
A x e l - F
Loc: So. Utah
Reg: 07-08-09

01-24-11 05:16 PM - Post#8226    
    In response to K2theninja

Welcome to the world of funding a convention out of your pocket. I'm glad to have meet thee.

We do some pretty big give-a-ways at Anime SG and Anime Bonanza or we at least try to. The bulk of the prizes come from either my own personal collection of items (manga, anime, posters) that I no longer have any need for, prizes from the collection of my staff that they no longer desire and prizes that are provided to use from our advertising affiliates such as FUNimation.

In my experaince, FUNimation can be wonderfully generous with providing prize support and screening room permission in return for advertising and ad space.
A x e l - F
Public Relations
Anime SG // Anime Bonanza

K2theninja 
Attendee
K2theninja

01-25-11 12:29 PM - Post#8234    
    In response to A x e l - F

Thanks, one of my good friends in the Con business has pointed Funimation out to me as well. The only major problem in the past has been due Conchair personnel (of a different Convention) that refused to change the Con's website to accomodate Funimation (they wanted to stick with Crunchy Roll). The current problem so far really are the Conventions I'm assisting with this year are all new start ups so we don't have Industry Guests to gear Funimation SWAG towards (and at the moment, a couple other tasks that Funimation requires).

As for stuff in my personal collection, I haven't reached the point of wanting/needing to clear them out yet. However, when I do, the Convention world will be in for quite a treat!
Industrial Liaison Lead for MT anime conventions 2011

Sugoku Con Cosplay Picnic 2011 (Canceled; Prepping for full Con in '12')
Nagu Con (August 19-21?)
Electrycon (Canceled)

A x e l - F 
Con Addict
A x e l - F
Loc: So. Utah
Reg: 07-08-09

01-25-11 06:38 PM - Post#8245    
    In response to K2theninja

The first year of Anime St. George, we didn't have any industry guests either (in fact, no guests at all for that matter), however, people still seemed to enjoy the different FUNimation items because of it's popularity in the area and so far the company has been a dream to work with and offering very little in return (to me anyways). So far they have only requested that we include their banner on our website, an add in our program as well as putting little advertising material in our bags. It's very good to always get on the good side of anime companies simply because it can benefit a convention greatly in the future.
A x e l - F
Public Relations
Anime SG // Anime Bonanza

Greggo 
Attendee
Greggo
Loc: Independence, MO
Reg: 02-15-07

08-12-11 07:15 PM - Post#9449    
    In response to A x e l - F

Apart from Funimation, another good source for cheap prizes is the Bargain Bin on Right Stuf's website. When a convention brings me out to do game shows and they don't have a dedicated means to acquire prizes, I recommend a couple hundred bucks dropped in there...you can really stock up on prizes this way.

meauho 
Con Addict
meauho
Loc: Houston(ish), Tx
Reg: 04-24-08

08-13-11 01:21 PM - Post#9450    
    In response to Greggo

You can also talk to dealers. We've done prize support for a couple of conventions (usually exchanged for sponsorship/ advertising).
Joshua Andrade

Bad Wolf Trading

Purity-san 
Con Regular
Purity-san
Loc: San Antonio, TX
Reg: 02-13-07

01-06-12 07:35 PM - Post#10018    
    In response to meauho

Actually, that gave me an idea, and I wonder if it would fly.

Would it be bad to email a voice acting company, asking for autographed things, and then auctioning them off for the con? kinda fundraiser like?
View My Convention History
:NINJAWUB: the Shadow Followers: http://tinyurl.com/JMTfans
The ONE and ONLY (and official) J. Michael Tatum Fan Club.

PatrickD 
Executive Producer
PatrickD
Loc: California
Reg: 12-07-06

01-07-12 12:13 AM - Post#10019    
    In response to Purity-san

• Purity-san Said:
Would it be bad to email a voice acting company, asking for autographed things, and then auctioning them off for the con? kinda fundraiser like?

I don't see anything wrong with that.

If you're looking for charity items, check this thread too:
http://forums.animecons.com/showtopic.php?tid/1459/
-PatrickD
AnimeCons.com Executive Producer
Co-Founder: Anime Boston and Providence Anime Conference
Host of The Chibi Project & Anime Unscripted™

vrmlbasic 
Con Regular

Reg: 02-23-12

02-25-12 06:55 PM - Post#10382    
    In response to PatrickD

What exactly is an "industry guest" in the context of this thread? Is that code for Japanese guests?

I'd be game for paying to get my stuff signed. Had the con I went to with Matt Greenfield/Tiffany Grant charged a fee they would have ended up with a small fortune from me. I effectively did end up paying for Doug Smith's autograph there.

Japanese guests always seem to charge, especially if they're a band. US guests like Vic Mignogna have already gone to the "Dark Side" of paid-autographs and photo ops. I think paid autographs are an emerging trend and I'm surprised that it didn't happen sooner. It'll make the autograph lines shorter, hopefully by weeding out all of the attendees that wait in line just to get something of no relevance to the guest signed (eg:program book, badge) as that is a pet peeve of mine with autograph lines.

Part of me doesn't want to go down the paid autograph route, naturally, but I wouldn't abstain from going to a con with guests which interested me on sole account of having to pay for their signatures. I get the feeling that very few people would be deterred from cons if they had to pay for an autograph as guest autographs seem to be, for people who aren't me ( ), just a very minor reason for con attendance. Point being I think cons could collect some more cash off of autographs with the benefit of getting cash for improving autograph sessions and the con in general with minimal risk.

• Purity-san Said:

Not in my book. If you get a show that I like pre-signed by the cast then you can skip the auction and just put it with my pre-reg pickup stuff and I'll pay for it then as there's no doubt that I'd be the auction winner anyhow

EDIT: Is the OP talking about getting pre-signed stuff and selling it off at the con as opposed to actually having the guests there and charging?????

PatrickD 
Executive Producer
PatrickD
Loc: California
Reg: 12-07-06

02-25-12 08:28 PM - Post#10384    
    In response to vrmlbasic

• vrmlbasic Said:
What exactly is an "industry guest" in the context of this thread? Is that code for Japanese guests?

No. "Industry guest" most often refers to guests who work for one of the anime companies like FUNimation. It doesn't include voice actors, but usually refers to people like Matt Greenfield, David Williams, or Adam Sheehan.

Also, this thread is for prizes and giveaways, not guests charging for autographs. Please stay on topic.

• vrmlbasic Said:
EDIT: Is the OP talking about getting pre-signed stuff and selling it off at the con as opposed to actually having the guests there and charging?????

Yes.
-PatrickD
AnimeCons.com Executive Producer
Co-Founder: Anime Boston and Providence Anime Conference
Host of The Chibi Project & Anime Unscripted™

vrmlbasic 
Con Regular

Reg: 02-23-12

02-25-12 09:25 PM - Post#10386    
    In response to PatrickD

• PatrickD Said:
  • vrmlbasic Said:

No. "Industry guest" most often refers to guests who work for one of the anime companies like FUNimation. It doesn't include voice actors, but usually refers to people like Matt Greenfield, David Williams, or Adam Sheehan.

Also, this thread is for prizes and giveaways, not guests charging for autographs. Please stay on topic.

It is on topic, tangentially. Should the natural flow of conversation be dammed (speaking of bad puns lol)?

Anyhow, I don't think you answered my question. I'm not sure that you can as you are not the OP. I asked what "Industry Guests" meant in the context of this thread as it did not seem as though the OP was referring to "Industry Guests" in the normal sense of the phrase, which is what you responded with. The OP goes from talking about voice actors to "industry guests" and does so in a way that "industry guests" could either include voice actors or exclude them.

To elaborate, I don't imagine there are too many cons trying to amass money to bring in, say, Matt Greefield to be one of their first ever guests. It's a shame as the "Industry Guests" are, obviously, the ones most informative about the industry.
Wouldn't you agree, at least with the first sentence?

Getting back to the topic at hand, now that I more fully understand that OP's idea for raising money I don't see how it makes sense. If the 5 bucks is buying something pre-signed by a guest, what will it be, and will people want it? I'm having difficulty really answering "yes" to that, mainly because I can't think of a cool pre-signed item that could be sold for 5 bucks and turn profit. If I'm wrong, I've got 5 bucks for one of these items

meauho 
Con Addict
meauho
Loc: Houston(ish), Tx
Reg: 04-24-08

03-04-12 07:46 PM - Post#10419    
    In response to vrmlbasic

I believe the $5 is referencing the actual cost of the autograph, not the item that is autographed with it.

There are a few VAs that offer, via their websites, signed photos of themselves for $5 (or more). In addition to this, a few (very few) offer to sign items that you send them (pre-approved only, typically with return shipping paid) - also for a fee.

I believe that K2theninja was referring to the first situation (purchasing photo or other item, signed, for $5) to be auctioned off. If they did have a signed item that cost considerably more than $5 without the signature (such as the Gantz Ball), selling it for less than the going price for the unsigned item would just be stupid.

Joshua Andrade

Bad Wolf Trading

Purity-san 
Con Regular
Purity-san
Loc: San Antonio, TX
Reg: 02-13-07

06-07-12 03:16 AM - Post#10906    
    In response to meauho

I was actually more thinking about like, wall scrolls and box sets with several autographs.

Not head shots. I know those can be bought by anyone, anywhere. I mean, I could just buy like 20 of them, and sell them at $2 more or something, but that would be stupid. XD
View My Convention History
:NINJAWUB: the Shadow Followers: http://tinyurl.com/JMTfans
The ONE and ONLY (and official) J. Michael Tatum Fan Club.

K2theninja 
Attendee
K2theninja

06-22-13 07:30 PM - Post#12565    
    In response to Purity-san

The situation I had posted in the original question, did indeed involve face shot type autographs that a few VA's sell on their personal websites. I used the the term 'industry guests' lightly to include both VA's (the 'famous' people attendees mostly care about) as well as the hard working folks at companies like Funimation, who provide the jobs for said favorite VA's. But then again, I'm from a really rural state, without too many other qualified folks to do the job I do for assisting anime conventions, so guest relations and industry networking tends to run together for the purposes of austerity.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Recent Topics
AnimeCons.com

AnimeCons.com Home | Conventions | Guests | Members | AnimeCons TV | Articles | Reports

FusionBB™ Version 2.2 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.26 seconds.   Total Queries: 56  
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 02:14 PM