Username Post: Western Cosplay at Anime Conventions        (Topic#2565)
EllyStar 
New England Con Whore
EllyStar
Loc: Massachusetts
Reg: 06-24-07

02-22-12 03:30 PM - Post#10321    

With the huge influx of Doctor Who, My Little Pony, and Homestuck costumes at anime conventions, some people have been complaining that costumes that aren't of Japanese origin have no place at anime conventions.

My thoughts on that argument can be summed up in one word: Whatever.

How does this bother you? Other than a huge group of Homestuck or MLP cosplayers clogging up a hallway, does it really affect your convention experience at all? Not really. Costuming and cosplay are such a huge part of conventions. I think it's fun to see all sorts of different costumes. Even if the con itself has said it will only have programming related to anime, manga, J-games, and Japanese culture, anime cons have become huge meccas of nerds and geeks in general. How is it any different than someone wearing an Iron Man or TMNT shirt?

On the other hand, when you get into more series specific conventions, I think differently, which I find odd in a way. I think that at a Harry Potter con, Doctor Who con, Lord of the Rings con, or any other con that is that specific, a costume from outside the series would look out of place. To me, they don't at an anime con. I'm not going to go anywhere near as far as saying people wearing costumes outside a series should be kicked out, because that's ridiculous. Even at video game cons, seeing Doctor Who costumes seems odd (I know there are DW video games now). But does it affect me and my enjoyment of the con? No, and it shouldn't affect others either.

I can't quite figure out why I have such a double standard about this. But going back to the t-shirt thing - if you were going to a Star Trek con, would you look out of place wearing a Star Wars or BSG shirt? Probably. But if you were going to an anime con, would you look out of place wearing a Firefly shirt? Probably not.
Elizabeth: Website and Podcast Writer
My Conventions

Nigoki 
Obsessed with robots
Nigoki
Reg: 02-25-09

02-22-12 09:40 PM - Post#10323    
    In response to EllyStar

I'm of that rare breed where I'm an anime fan first, a gamer/sci-fi geek/comic book fan second, so I was very much of the mindset "It's an anime convention, people, focus on the anime!"
I used to get bugged by non-anime costumes but I've learned that it's not worth getting worked up about. Everyone's going to do what they want, and we are all a bunch of geeks, let's all have fun.

Though, I will admit, it still seems weird when the largest concentration of cosplayers are from something that's not anime.

The issue I will still be a curmudgeon about is when this starts spilling into programming. If the event is meant to be about anime, keep the programming on track with things like that. If the con says its goal is to promote Japanese culture through its media, you can't really say that Doctor Who fits into that category, as good and as popular as it might be.
-Doug Wilder
Resident Mecha fanboy of AnimeCons TV!

Gale 
Sacrificial White Mage
Gale
Loc: New England
Reg: 03-08-09

02-22-12 10:23 PM - Post#10324    
    In response to Nigoki

• Nigoki Said:
I'm of that rare breed where I'm an anime fan first, a gamer/sci-fi geek/comic book fan second, so I was very much of the mindset "It's an anime convention, people, focus on the anime!"
I used to get bugged by non-anime costumes but I've learned that it's not worth getting worked up about. Everyone's going to do what they want, and we are all a bunch of geeks, let's all have fun.

Though, I will admit, it still seems weird when the largest concentration of cosplayers are from something that's not anime.

The issue I will still be a curmudgeon about is when this starts spilling into programming. If the event is meant to be about anime, keep the programming on track with things like that. If the con says its goal is to promote Japanese culture through its media, you can't really say that Doctor Who fits into that category, as good and as popular as it might be.

Yeah, I have to agree with this. Granted I'm getting to be less into anime (or at least new anime) and more into sci-fi, but I would never wear "western" cosplay at a dedicated anime event.

I'm all for multi-genre cons, tho, and fine with cons (as long as they don't have "anime" in their name...) evolving/changing and becoming multi-genre (like PortCon). As long as the convention knows what they are about and how they want to be defined and stays true to that, they should be able to do whatever...but they need to stay true to their mission statement, and an anime con allowing non-anime content in their official events needs to re-evaluate their choices either in programming or mission statement.
AnimeCons.com contributor

ConnectiCon Director of Guest Relations

some guy 
Attendee

Reg: 07-27-10

02-22-12 11:00 PM - Post#10326    
    In response to EllyStar

If it's nerdy enough, I'm fine with it. You want to cosplay as an american comic book character? Go ahead. Doctor Who? Why not? TF2 class? As long as you don't go all Spy and Engi. Although I'd prefer if internet fandom cosplay be kept to a minimum (MLP, Homestuck, Doctor McNinja, etc).

vrmlbasic 
Con Regular

Reg: 02-23-12

02-23-12 03:53 PM - Post#10348    
    In response to some guy

I'm on the same boat with you guys on this. Seeing Stormtroopers at Ota and Katsu has irked me since I first saw it years ago. I realize that these cons have "covered their bases" by having generic names, but that seems like a cop-out to me. Ota repeatedly says that even though it's no longer about just anime and encompasses all of "Japanese culture", there is no Darth Vader or Homestuck in that.

I'm opposed to non-anime programming taking hold on principle--even the 2007 4chan panel @ Ota was sketchy IMO--but as long as it is remotely applicable I'm cool with it. Sake panels and weapon demonstration panels are cool in my book. MLP panels are not. Not only because I find MLP to be at odds with my Y-chromosome (the Katsucon "but Lauren Faust is a MD native!" doesn't do anything for me lol) but because they have nothing to do with what the cons generally say that they are about.

I hate to say it, but a panel on the awful, Toonami-childhood-ruining Thundercats anime would be more in line with my principles for what should be at a con than would a MLP panel/Star Trek panel/Homestuck panel, etc...

It literally pained me to type that.

Gale 
Sacrificial White Mage
Gale
Loc: New England
Reg: 03-08-09

02-23-12 04:20 PM - Post#10350    
    In response to vrmlbasic

I actually just got into a debate over this topic on facebook. A friend was complaining that she wants to see my upcoming Rainbow Bright series cosplay at Anime Boston. When I explained to her I don't do non-anime cosplay at dedicated anime cons she argued that a lot of "American" cartoons borrow from the Japanese anime styles and even outsource to animators from overseas so I shouldn't let it stop me.

No offense to her, but it's a weak justification. If one wants to cosplay something non-Japanese origin at an anime convention, they should feel free to go for it...just don't give me a lame excuse for why it's acceptable. It's acceptable already. Maybe some of us aren't thrilled, or wouldn't do it ourselves, but it would be unfair of anyone to dictate such strict regulations for cosplay worn around the halls (as aforementioned by many, event-related content is another story entirely).

One comment I made justifying my position, however, made me realize something. I relegate my non-anime cosplay to multi-genre cons because I go to multi-genre cons. Not everyone can travel so far afield to get to just any convention, though. As Elizabeth mentioned, anime cons have become meccas of nerdom. I think for a lot of kids, the one local anime con in their area may be the only con they can go to. Even if they aren't into anime, they go because it's the closest thing they have to celebrating their own fandom. I still think this is no reason to change the programming at cons, but it makes me see non-anime fans at anime cons a little differently.
AnimeCons.com contributor

ConnectiCon Director of Guest Relations

EllyStar 
New England Con Whore
EllyStar
Loc: Massachusetts
Reg: 06-24-07

02-23-12 04:37 PM - Post#10352    
    In response to Gale

Guys, try to leave the programming part separate and discuss just the cosplay aspect. It's two separate things because convention staff can control what their programming is. They can't control what people wear to a con (decency aside).

Well, I mean they can, but how well would that go over? They could set rules as to what their con goers wear for costumes. I think I've heard that cons have done that in the past. I don't think I'd ever want to attend a con that has a rule like that. It seems restricting and cons should seem like a welcoming place, not one where people can be turned away at the door because they're cosplaying something other than anime.
Elizabeth: Website and Podcast Writer
My Conventions

vrmlbasic 
Con Regular

02-23-12 04:52 PM - Post#10356    
    In response to EllyStar

On a tangent I wish katsucon had been more strict about reinforcing its dress code that it largely inherited from the venue. The "no bare chests" mandate shouldn't be able to be circumvented by dudes covering 2 parts of their chests with tape...or if they can, both genders should be allowed to do it.

When the cons allow programming that has only tenuous ties to Japanese culture, like mlp, then aren't they encouraging cosplay of those unrelated properties? Maybe the cons can't/don't outright regulate what costumes can't be worn but in a way they could be pushing us towards what can be worn. Not that it matters, I'm just thinking here, and that always leads to trouble

It'd be nice to see older cosplay regularly at cons, that being cosplay of older series besides amg and shounen. I thought that the older gundam was being cosplayed at recent cons, only to find that it was actually stuff from unicorn. Older shows seem to get drummed out of the cons faster than I'm feeling the older fans do.

bakaleader 

02-24-12 12:32 AM - Post#10368    
    In response to EllyStar

Totally agreed. People should have fun going to the comic con no matter who they cosplay. If I go to a comic con and see some one wearing a Star Wars shirt, that is totally fine. We will still have fun.

vrmlbasic 
Con Regular

02-25-12 01:53 AM - Post#10378    
    In response to bakaleader

• In reply to:
If I go to a comic con and see some one wearing a Star Wars shirt, that is totally fine. We will still have fun.

Outside of cosplay or more formal attire I'm usually wearing something like a Firefly shirt at cons. I don't have any issue with something like that as (besides hypocrisy lol) it's proven to me to be a great way to get to meet other con goers. Even for things like Doctor Who I don't have much of an issue.

Stormtrooper cosplay and internet meme cosplay just rub me the wrong way at anime cons. Unless you're cosplaying something like Lost Universe (shudder) there is no reason to have lightsabers as props at an anime con IMO. I would also think it's universally agreed that if you're cosplaying a stormtrooper you never should have a lightsaber prop, no matter what con you're at. Katsucon had stormtroopers fighting with prop lightsabers. That's wrong on SO many levels.

The History Follower 
Con Addict
The History Follower
Loc: WV
Reg: 01-02-07

03-05-12 09:49 PM - Post#10431    
    In response to vrmlbasic

The problem I have with rising levels of western cosplay is the general trend of anime cons becoming less about anime. I like going to anime cons because of anime and manga. And that's anime and manga not video games, not just Pokemon, not every webcomic out there, not my other interests, but anime and manga.

Selina 

Reg: 05-09-12

05-17-12 12:20 AM - Post#10812    
    In response to The History Follower

I just need some kind of articles like this ,thanks for sharing,wish more wonderful things.

VickiS 
Attendee

Loc: Monroe, NC
Reg: 10-01-13

10-01-13 10:14 PM - Post#12890    
    In response to EllyStar

I don't really care what people are wearing because the whole point of going in the first place is to have fun and enjoy an event based on a shared interest. My friends got up early to cosplay as Homestuck trolls last time and I saw nothing wrong with it.

Cydonians 

Loc: CT
Reg: 05-17-15

05-17-15 11:27 AM - Post#14431    
    In response to EllyStar

Non-anime cosplayers in an anime convention don't bother me at all. Everyone has free reign to cosplay whatever they want since it's all for fun and paying homage to a work or character. I personally think it's more irritating to have people that go to these conventions not being into anything it's centered upon, only for them to deem it boring later on.

"On the other hand, when you get into more series specific conventions, I think differently, which I find odd in a way. I think that at a Harry Potter con, Doctor Who con, Lord of the Rings con, or any other con that is that specific, a costume from outside the series would look out of place."
The exact reason why I don't mind non-anime cosplays at anime-specific conventions. Take into consideration the amount of these work-specific conventions, their size, their location in relation to those who are interested in/scarcity throughout the nation (in comparison to things like Rennaissance fairs, comic cons, sci-fi cons, anime cons etc.), the travel costs for these fans, and those who can actually afford to go to them. Much less is the attendance rate due to all these aspects enough to make the convention take off? The fact of the matter is, a convention catered around and for, a very specific book, movie, or video game is impractical in comparison to an anime con where anime broadly covers a multitude of shows and video games. The generic convention draws more people who are into, presumably anime and by extension general nerdery. This even means cosplayers who won't cosplay anything anime-related. They need a larger cosplay outlet somehow so why not? It attracts a similar crowd and I'm sure a good number of anime fans will recognize Star Wars, LoTR, Harry Potter, and Doctor Who.

I personally find Sci-fi conventions far less liberal about cosplays in terms of where they're from. You can't really rationalize your K-On! cosplay in terms of how it fits in with a bunch of Star Wars cosplayers, but hey if you enjoy Sci-fi related things then that's all that matters.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Recent Topics
AnimeCons.com

AnimeCons.com Home | Conventions | Guests | Members | AnimeCons TV | Articles | Reports

FusionBB™ Version 2.2 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.284 seconds.   Total Queries: 56  
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 02:08 PM