Username Post: First Year Budgeting        (Topic#2656)
Purity-san 
Con Regular
Purity-san
Loc: San Antonio, TX
Reg: 02-13-07

06-07-12 04:24 AM - Post#10907    

So my staff, and I have been tossing around ideas for .. raising money for our First Year con. So far it's come down to this:

Getting things Autographed and Auction them off. (I have one nice piece, Idk if I'm willing to part with it though, it's a Ouran High School Host Club coat with at least 7 signatures on it... but it's for this con, I'll most likely be willing).

Ad-Space. (Website, and program book.)

Artist Donations. (Run something like an art day where people can buy donated art pieces to fund the con.)

Kickstarter. (Still working on the perks and things, though... what would work for that? Free con badges? I mean, if we raise $20k, it's obviously going to happen, so. LOL.)

My own income, and income of my staff (if willing.)

Any other ideas? Or let me know what stuff I should just stop thinking about now.

Also, what's a good minimum budget goal? $10k? 15? 20?

Thanks!
View My Convention History
:NINJAWUB: the Shadow Followers: http://tinyurl.com/JMTfans
The ONE and ONLY (and official) J. Michael Tatum Fan Club.

Edited by Purity-san on 06-07-12 04:30 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Ushiko 
Attendee
Ushiko
Reg: 08-06-07

06-07-12 10:17 AM - Post#10909    
    In response to Purity-san

The first question should never be "how", it should always be "why". And the only good answer is "because I love X and want to celebrate it". If that is your answer, then the next question is how much are YOU willing to spend/lose to celebrate it. Depending on what you're aiming for, a "con" can be run really cheap or insanely expensive. That all depends on what you want, but you can't control who agrees (ie. how many people show up). Regarding the ideas you noted:
-Artist Donations (unlikely, both because you need donations AND you're "competing" with the artist who's trying to sell pieces for their own cause)
-Kickstarter (no, especially since there's several other cons all over Texas)
-Ad Space (not gonna happen)
-Auctions (unlikely to make as much as you want, but if you want to convert your possessions to cash for the cause, as good a method as any. Keep in mind, auctions work better AT a convention because you have fans all in one place paying attention rather than outside where they're not)
-Your own+crew's money (pretty much)

I'd point you to these other threads for more detail:
Finding Sponsorship for your con?
http://forums.animecons.com/showtopic.php?tid/1860/
Starting up. Reqirements
http://forums.animecons.com/showtopic.php?tid/2618/
How does one go about starting up a con?
http://forums.animecons.com/showtopic.php?tid/332/

What are you trying to target with your convention idea? I just ask since San Japan seems to be pretty well received by fans in the SanAn area for anime.

Edited by Ushiko on 06-07-12 10:30 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

PatrickD 
Executive Producer
PatrickD
Loc: California
Reg: 12-07-06

06-07-12 11:27 AM - Post#10912    
    In response to Ushiko

Yeah, I've got to agree with everything Ushiko said. The other way I've seen a convention get funding is through grants from other organizations, but this is very rare. (A sci-fi con might help fund a new anime con...but if there's one in the area already, then this would seem even more unlikely.)

The only guaranteed way and the most common way seems to be getting a bunch of friends to pool their money. If 10 friends all give $1000, you've got $10,000 to get started. ...and if the convention ends up getting $20,000 back in the end, you can repay that $10,000 and use the extra $10,000 for next year's funding. If it looks like you can't pay that $10,000 back, you'll have to decide if it's better to go ahead with the con and be able to pay back part of it...or if it's better to refund the attendees registrations and pay back the investors as much as possible.

So, yeah... I hope you have some rich friends.
-PatrickD
AnimeCons.com Executive Producer
Co-Founder: Anime Boston and Providence Anime Conference
Host of The Chibi Project & Anime Unscripted™

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Recent Topics
AnimeCons.com

AnimeCons.com Home | Conventions | Guests | Members | AnimeCons TV | Articles | Reports

FusionBB™ Version 2.2 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.122 seconds.   Total Queries: 34  
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 01:35 PM