Username Post: Badge Printing        (Topic#2712)
Purity-san 
Con Regular
Purity-san
Loc: San Antonio, TX
Reg: 02-13-07

08-15-12 01:13 PM - Post#11304    

Where's the best place to get badges printed?

I want to use a convention badge approach to my badges for my anime club, by having around 10 Officer bagdes and a stock of 100 blanks (at-the-door) to have on hand.
View My Convention History
:NINJAWUB: the Shadow Followers: http://tinyurl.com/JMTfans
The ONE and ONLY (and official) J. Michael Tatum Fan Club.

PatrickD 
Executive Producer
PatrickD
Loc: California
Reg: 12-07-06

08-15-12 01:47 PM - Post#11305    
    In response to Purity-san

Depends how many you need. If you only need a few hundred, you can probably get away with color copying and lamination. Just make sure you use a paper cutter for straight edges and have extra lamination machines on hand because they WILL break on you.

If you need more than a few hundred, then it's time to start looking into other options and perhaps some sort of anti-counterfeiting holograms or photocopy-proof paper. This isn't an area I have much knowledge in.

When you're at 10,000+, it's time to outsource registration to a professional company. Yes, it costs A LOT more, but it's well worth the peace of mind knowing that people who handle large conferences can take care of registration for you...often from the online registration straight through the on-site pickup. It's dangerous when your entire 10,000+ person convention is resting on volunteers in registration. I've seen problems like a lost database, a poorly planned on-site registration process, volunteer staff siphoning money off the top, missing chunks of data, lack of registration statistics, or any number of other potential problems that have caused things like people waiting in line for HOURS. This is always worth the investment. Just make sure you shop around and ask other large conventions (even on the other side of the country) who they use and what issues they have.
-PatrickD
AnimeCons.com Executive Producer
Co-Founder: Anime Boston and Providence Anime Conference
Host of The Chibi Project & Anime Unscripted™

Purity-san 
Con Regular
Purity-san

08-15-12 02:03 PM - Post#11306    
    In response to PatrickD

Like I said, no more than 10 or 15 for "staff" and then 100 or so for members, which we'll use the "write your own name" onto the badge.

So Kinkos and a lamination machine.

I need a lamination machine. XD

PatrickD 
Executive Producer
PatrickD
Loc: California
Reg: 12-07-06

08-15-12 03:08 PM - Post#11308    

• Purity-san Said:
I need a lamination machine. XD

Get 2 or 3. When one breaks at the con, you don't want to be stuck.
...and if you never end up needing it and don't open the box, bring it back to the store. (Check their return policy first.)
-PatrickD
AnimeCons.com Executive Producer
Co-Founder: Anime Boston and Providence Anime Conference
Host of The Chibi Project & Anime Unscripted™

Proz 
Con Addict
Proz
Loc: Texas
Reg: 08-08-07

08-15-12 11:15 PM - Post#11310    
    In response to PatrickD

For minimal amount of laminating for a 100 badges, get a Scotch TL910. Sells for ~$30 at Wal-Mart. Used it for years, works great.

If you decide to print them yourselves then look into a ream of 250 count cardstock. Has a heavier 'weight' than regular paper.
San Japan - San Antonio, Texas - Convention Chairman

Purity-san 
Con Regular
Purity-san

08-15-12 11:44 PM - Post#11311    
    In response to Proz

Thanks guys. :3

Cimmy 
Cimmy
Loc: Indianapolis
Reg: 08-18-12

08-19-12 05:44 AM - Post#11329    

Another thought for printing is to speak with your local news paper they have a printing facility that produces their newspaper and other printed products. They could lead you in the right direction on a professional badge background. While this may not be the cheapest option it could be the most economical in the long run as the size of your con grows.

Daniel DAmours 
Attendee

Loc: Thunder Bay
Reg: 04-11-08

06-13-13 02:29 AM - Post#12518    
    In response to Cimmy

If you have access to paypal or a credit card, I personally recommend 4x3 badge kits. Most of these kits will run you from $.25 to $.50 a badge + ink costs. They come with the badge holders, 8.5/11 perforated cardstock, and strings.

It costs us about $150, that's including the ink, to print 300 badges. It's a bit more expensive than investing in laminaters, but they look much better in my opinion.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Recent Topics
AnimeCons.com

AnimeCons.com Home | Conventions | Guests | Members | AnimeCons TV | Articles | Reports

FusionBB™ Version 2.2 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.176 seconds.   Total Queries: 44  
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 07:10 PM