Username Post: Where are the Japanese?        (Topic#2774)
dr_potemkin 
dr_potemkin
Loc: Tokyo, Japan
Reg: 11-10-12

11-10-12 11:16 PM - Post#11600    

Hi there. First post in this forum so bear with me if I've misplaced the threat.

My question is, are there any Japanese otaku hanging around in conventions outside of Japan?

I am a Japanese who lived in the UK for a long time, who wasn't an otaku at all. But since when I happened to come across a lot of people (especially in the science realm) asking me questions about the anime and manga culture in Japan, I was kind of shocked. I thought that Japan was well known (and sometimes infamous for) its cars and electronic components, but it looks as though the sub-cultural interest is greater.

Currently, I live in Japan and am kind of desperate in knowing more about this culture before I fly out again, but it seems as though the Japanese society is underestimating the population of this culture overseas. Very little to no news about animecons are announced even in anime channels such as animax or cartoon network.

So, coming back to the question. Have you seen Japanese celebrities or otaku in an animecon outside of Japan? If yes, what kind of reactions do they have towards this type of events?

Fuzzy 
Con Regular
Fuzzy
Loc: Orlando
Reg: 12-07-07

11-13-12 03:20 PM - Post#11605    
    In response to dr_potemkin

Well, the conventions i've been to/been a part of on the west coast tend to have a large amount of both Japanese guests as well as attendees of Japanese (and asian in general) descent. Examples of thes cons would include Anime Expo, Pacific Media Expo, and Fanime (and im sure there are more, these are just ones i've been to).
True wisdom comes from knowing that you know nothing
-Socrates

Thats US DUDE!!
-Ted 'Theodore' Logan

dr_potemkin 
dr_potemkin
Loc: Tokyo, Japan
Reg: 11-10-12

11-18-12 07:49 PM - Post#11621    
    In response to Fuzzy

Thanks for your response!
Maybe it's because I suck at googling, but I don't seem to bump into Japanese blogs that reports conventions outside Japan.

Anyway, good to know that there are some Japanese attendees! Thanks for that and I hope some day I can attend too!

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Recent Topics
AnimeCons.com

AnimeCons.com Home | Conventions | Guests | Members | AnimeCons TV | Articles | Reports

FusionBB™ Version 2.2 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.183 seconds.   Total Queries: 34  
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 09:42 PM