Username Post: Little Help?        (Topic#2776)
Alicia 

Reg: 11-16-12

11-16-12 10:48 PM - Post#11613    

Im really into Anime and love the characters to death.But by the way my mom acted when I watched Hetalia and told her that i liked it .Well she made a face and whined about it being about boys..
I really wanna cosplay but Now im scared to death that shell say no and will think im weird.My mom worrys about how poeple think about me while i dont.How can I tell her that i wnna cosplay???
Please?

Gale 
Sacrificial White Mage
Gale
Loc: New England
Reg: 03-08-09

11-18-12 06:48 PM - Post#11620    
    In response to Alicia

• Alicia Said:
Im really into Anime and love the characters to death.But by the way my mom acted when I watched Hetalia and told her that i liked it .Well she made a face and whined about it being about boys..
I really wanna cosplay but Now im scared to death that shell say no and will think im weird.My mom worrys about how poeple think about me while i dont.How can I tell her that i wnna cosplay???
Please?

I would sit down and think hard about why you enjoy Hetalia (and other anime) and why you want to cosplay. Make a list of why you want to cosplay and the positive things you think you could get out of cosplay and congoing. Also think about how you would plan to achieve creating (or purchasing) the costume you wish to make and how you plan on affording this hobby.

Once you're prepared, sit down and talk with your mother about your desire to cosplay. Refer to your list of reasons. Also explain to her about conventions and how within the confines of these events costuming is not only accepted, but almost everybody participates in dressing up! Consider showing her our Parents' Guide to Anime Conventions or other AnimeCons articles. Show her pictures of cosplayers, including crossplayers, so that she may understand that within the congoing community this is actually quite normal. Also try to explain your favorite shows (such as Hetalia) and why you enjoy watching them.

Admittedly I don't know your mother, but if you are able to show you've put some thought into these desires and that you know what you're getting into and that there's a safe, accepting place for you to express yourself I would imagine she'll be more understanding. Good luck!

Good luck!
AnimeCons.com contributor

ConnectiCon Director of Guest Relations

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Recent Topics
AnimeCons.com

AnimeCons.com Home | Conventions | Guests | Members | AnimeCons TV | Articles | Reports

FusionBB™ Version 2.2 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.098 seconds.   Total Queries: 32  
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 04:27 PM