Username Post: The Conventions as Asimov Sees Them        (Topic#2797)
PatrickD 
Executive Producer
PatrickD
Loc: California
Reg: 12-07-06

12-22-12 02:46 AM - Post#11695    

Here's an interesting article from Starlog Magazine issue #1 (August 1976). Isaac Asimov wrote an article on his view of conventions:
http://archive.org/stream/starlog_magazi ne-001/001#page/n41/mode/ 2up

Also interesting to note is you can read a lot of old Starlog issues on Archive.org!
-PatrickD
AnimeCons.com Executive Producer
Co-Founder: Anime Boston and Providence Anime Conference
Host of The Chibi Project & Anime Unscripted™

vrmlbasic 
Con Regular

Reg: 02-23-12

02-07-13 04:59 PM - Post#11916    
    In response to PatrickD

How times have changed: I don't think anyone thinks that Star Trek conventions are rife with effervescent pre-teen girls these days. The writers of the Big Bang Theory sitcom certainly don't lol.

Though remembering the yellow journalism that went on in Baltimore back in 2011, I think it was, where the paper interviewed a teenaged Madoka cosplayer and tried to portray the older gent seeking her picture as some sort of exploiting lech I'm not sure what the prevailing thought on anime con attendees in the public at large is any longer.

vrmlbasic 
Con Regular

Reg: 02-23-12

02-09-13 01:48 AM - Post#11930    
    In response to vrmlbasic

• vrmlbasic Said:
How times have changed: I don't think anyone thinks that Star Trek conventions are rife with effervescent pre-teen girls these days. The writers of the Big Bang Theory sitcom certainly don't lol.

Though remembering the yellow journalism that went on in Baltimore back in 2011, I think it was, where the paper interviewed a teenaged Madoka cosplayer and tried to portray the older gent seeking her picture as some sort of exploiting lech I'm not sure what the prevailing thought on anime con attendees in the public at large is any longer.

Edit: Paper was the Washington Post. Link just for completion: http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/awkward-moments -at-baltimore-anime-conve ntio...

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Recent Topics
AnimeCons.com

AnimeCons.com Home | Conventions | Guests | Members | AnimeCons TV | Articles | Reports

FusionBB™ Version 2.2 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.369 seconds.   Total Queries: 35  
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 02:34 PM