Username Post: Any Otaku's in Bakersfield?        (Topic#2810)
Otaku 01 
Attendee

Reg: 01-08-13

01-08-13 02:57 AM - Post#11752    

So I live a pretty solitary life considering there are not a lot of people, at least as far as I know, in Bakersfield who are into Anime as much as me. So I was hoping I could make some friends here.

Gale 
Sacrificial White Mage
Gale
Loc: New England
Reg: 03-08-09

01-08-13 11:42 AM - Post#11755    
    In response to Otaku 01

Sorry, I don't know where Bakersfield is, but welcome to the forum! Please feel free to continue to jump into discussions. We're a pretty open bunch, or at least we try to be.

Have you made it to any cons yet? If not, check out our listing by state; it should help you find the event(s) closest to to you.

I know what it's like to be one of few anime fans in one's home area. I have to travel a ways to meet up with the vast majority of my con friends. It's always nice to be able to meet up at cons though, and even in spite of the physical distance the Internet does help us to make plans!
AnimeCons.com contributor

ConnectiCon Director of Guest Relations

Otaku 01 
Attendee

01-08-13 07:57 PM - Post#11761    
    In response to Gale

I'm planning on going to my first con here in Bakersfield on the 20th. I'm rather nervous, any tips for a newcomer?

Gale 
Sacrificial White Mage
Gale
Loc: New England
Reg: 03-08-09

01-08-13 08:19 PM - Post#11763    
    In response to Otaku 01

Ooh! Well, if there's a con in your city then there must be at least some reliable population of anime fans, since you need more than a couple dozen people for a convention to be successful. What sort of events sound interesting to you? Most cons have panels, gaming rooms (often both video and analog), and of course there's always cosplay.

A great way to meet people is to join in on a card or board game for a little bit. I remember having a blast playing apples to apples at my first AnimeNEXT, and the whole AnimeCons crew makes a tradition of tracking down a set of UNO cards whenever we're at PortConMaine. If you're into CCGs make sure to bring your deck because those tend to be popular too.

Also, if you're not too shy, don't be afraid to strike up conversations with others (as long as you're in a situation where that would be polite). If you see someone cosplaying a favorite character of yours feel free to compliment them. It may lead to a great discussion. If you plan to cosplay (but don't feel like you have to!) see if there's any discussion on the forums about the series your character is from and if there is a meet-up you can participate in.

Good luck, and have fun!
AnimeCons.com contributor

ConnectiCon Director of Guest Relations

Otaku 01 
Attendee

01-10-13 02:52 PM - Post#11781    
    In response to Gale

Thanks for all the advice. I'm just your average anime fan really. I like the shows and the culture around it, but haven't been able to find anybody with the same interest as myself. I've never really played card games so I wouldn't know how to even start. I was hoping there would be somebody there who enjoyed Jigoku Shoujo as much as myself, but what are the odds of that.

machinedude 

Reg: 01-22-13

01-22-13 05:15 PM - Post#11833    
    In response to Otaku 01

im from bakersfield and into anime alot.

elgatochurro 

Loc: bakersfield, CA
Reg: 08-09-15

08-09-15 07:09 PM - Post#14536    
    In response to Otaku 01

still in bakersfield? i've been having trouble finding a group of anime friends for awhile :c just decided to start looking online more

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Recent Topics
AnimeCons.com

AnimeCons.com Home | Conventions | Guests | Members | AnimeCons TV | Articles | Reports

FusionBB™ Version 2.2 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.215 seconds.   Total Queries: 42  
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 10:00 AM