Username Post: Syfy's Heroes of Cosplay        (Topic#2932)
PatrickD 
Executive Producer
PatrickD
Loc: California
Reg: 12-07-06

07-04-13 03:13 PM - Post#12602    

Syfy is premiering a new show, Heroes of Cosplay, in August 2013. It will feature some well known cosplayers and some newbies.

I know it hasn't premiered yet...but what are people's thoughts on this?
http://www.syfy.com/heroesofcosplay
-PatrickD
AnimeCons.com Executive Producer
Co-Founder: Anime Boston and Providence Anime Conference
Host of The Chibi Project & Anime Unscripted™

PatrickD 
Executive Producer
PatrickD

08-14-13 12:38 PM - Post#12686    
    In response to PatrickD

Having watched the first episode last night, I think that this write-up summarizes most of my feelings about the show:
https://www.facebook.com/notes/dj-spider-cospl ay-and-costuming/heroes-o f-cosplay...

In addition to that...

I think their choice of conventions (at least two I noticed) was lousy. I'd rather see them support a fan-run convention than give more exposure to Wizard World. Bleh. My feelings about Anime Matsuri (which seems to be in an upcoming episode) have been previously documented here, so I'll just say that I think they could have selected much better.

The horns. OMFG! WHO THE EFF CARES that you store-bought them? Does Yaya cast her own pointy ears every time? I bet not. This REALLY pissed me off. It was a non-issue but Syfy made it look like the costume was a disaster because of it.
Also, if there's an issue with your costume, you do not call it out to the judge. You don't say, "I was going to cast my own, but ran out of time and these were store-bought and modified." (...or whatever it was she said.) Say, "I took some latex horns and modified them and painted them." Saying you ran out of time is NEVER an excuse a judge wants to hear.
Nobody called out the dude for wearing football shoulder pads and modifying them rather than doing something from scratch.

I like that they only focused on a handful and not the entire cast in one episode...because that would have cut into the time and made us see even less of any individuals. Most of them already could have used more screen time for the development process.

Now, obviously there was some blatant editing for drama's sake...but what you may not know is that Syfy asked these folks to make new costumes in unrealistic amounts of time. From what one of the cast members has told me, they did make some new costumes...but what you may see in upcoming episodes are older costumes being improved and treated as "new" because the producers wanted the drama and stress of the new costumes. I suspect this is why we didn't see much of the guy working on his costume. It was very likely an existing outfit.

...but planning Lulu in that short amount of time? Insane. Not surprised it was not completed.

If there's a next season, I think the universal opinion is that there needs to be more guys on the show. I'd love to see Bill Doran (with his wife Brittany Doran) if they were willing.
-PatrickD

Gale 
Sacrificial White Mage
Gale
Loc: New England
Reg: 03-08-09

08-14-13 03:59 PM - Post#12687    
    In response to PatrickD

I had a feeling the costumes being made on screen must have been forced upon them. You just don't decide on a new competition costume that close to a con. Granted, some people may procrastinate until that time to do the bulk of the work, but usually just to get a spot in the contest reserved you need to know what you're doing months in advance.

Also, I heard the guy was a late casting addition. If so, that might be why he had such little screen time the first episode. Hopefully that changes.

I'm not surprised they're making older costumes out to be "new" or started later than advertised. I know for a fact Yaya debuted that awesome armor outfit at Katsucon which was a week or two before Wizard World. Also, I love how they used a shot or two of the gazebo and tried to play it off as footage from Wizard World. Hilarious.

Jumping off what Spider said, I think the goth analogy is a great one. Looking at it from that angle, I think in the long run this show will be a good thing for our community, even if it shows us in an inaccurate or slightly negative light. Going mainstream always has its drawbacks, but the most important point is we're moving toward more widespread acceptance. Which in itself has pros and cons. But I think the pro of having my artwork appreciated as something worthwhile outweighs the con of tons of mainstream newbies flooding the hobby. At the end of the day cosplay is about fun, and as long as we remember that we can weather anything.
AnimeCons.com contributor

ConnectiCon Director of Guest Relations

EllyStar 
New England Con Whore
EllyStar
Loc: Massachusetts
Reg: 06-24-07

08-15-13 11:18 AM - Post#12688    
    In response to PatrickD

I like it, and I think that review is pretty spot on. I'm sad to admit, but I'm a huge fan of reality TV (stop judging me, lol), so I'm able to filter out a lot of the BS. Like the part when they "freaked out" over Yaya being a judge. They're all friends with her in real life!

My favorite part was Merida's interaction with Belle, and that they showed some of the other competitors in the contest. That Totoro was awesome!

• PatrickD Said:
Does Yaya cast her own pointy ears every time? I bet not.

Actually, I bet she does. But only because she has so much equipment and materials for casting because she does it for her store, lol.

But yeah, that was kinda ridiculous. You don't lose points for doing that, but IMO as a judge you would gain points by making your own. My question is, why did they do a head cast for just those horns? Was that really necessary? Though, knowing those cosplayers, they probably needed the head cast for another project and just did it at that time for the cameras.

• In reply to:
...but planning Lulu in that short amount of time? Insane. Not surprised it was not completed.

She made that costume the year before and wore it at Katsucon 2012. I think that whole situation was set up for drama.
Elizabeth: Website and Podcast Writer
My Conventions

PatrickD 
Executive Producer
PatrickD

08-15-13 12:30 PM - Post#12689    
    In response to EllyStar

• EllyStar Said:
My favorite part was Merida's interaction with Belle, and that they showed some of the other competitors in the contest. That Totoro was awesome!

Yes, I'm glad it won. It was awesome and showed that the show isn't rigged or otherwise manipulating the results so all its contestants are winners because they're the "heroes". I realize they didn't show ALL the awards (since I'd bet there was more than one Honorable Mention), but that's fine.

• EllyStar Said:
But yeah, that was kinda ridiculous. You don't lose points for doing that, but IMO as a judge you would gain points by making your own. My question is, why did they do a head cast for just those horns? Was that really necessary? Though, knowing those cosplayers, they probably needed the head cast for another project and just did it at that time for the cameras.

That was my thought. I want to get a head cast at some point and would use it for small AND large projects once I had it. (It would certainly help when I need to have masks fit as tight around my head as possible.)
-PatrickD

Shiva 
Cosplay Addict
Shiva
Reg: 04-01-09

08-19-13 11:38 PM - Post#12697    
    In response to PatrickD

You guys are too nice. I thought it was HORRIBLE. I don't care that they faked pretty much everything on here, although that takes away from the craft in and of itself, but that It felt like this show was written by 4chan. it was everything people assume cosplayers to be: shallow, selfish, bitchy, childish, and overly dramatic when plenty are not. The way these people came off really made me glad I didn't know them, because they looked terrible. If it were me I'd be ashamed of myself. I felt bad for the husbands/boyfriends! And there was no attempt to even make actual drama seem legit, like the skinny chick worrying about being fat - why not show the kind of crap people get for being overweight in cosplay and THEN make her worries seem less crazypants. Why not show how the public reacted to clubbing in a pony costume instead of going for party/drunk girl angle? Oh, and it seemed that Yaya saying they were good at something was their only validation in life - PLEASE. Yaya is NOT doing herself any favors here. How about nods to how most cosplayers balance this with normal families and fulifilling careers instead of wannabes? Pixiekitty is a BIOLOGIST for f's sake and doesn't give two s*!s what Yaya or anyone else thinks of her seams. This is supposed to be a HOBBY, not a pitiful validation for chicks with low self-esteem.

If these people gave a s*!t about cosplay they would have actually filmed more than 30 seconds about how people made things and burning themselves and crying because they f'ed up a seam five times and people dropping out of masq skits and costumes falling apart backstage, and how people overcome this stuff, and actual judging or whatnot. The only real part of this whole show was the machine breaking, and it was overshadowed by a toddler-appropriate hissy fit. There is a lot they could do which would be fascinating TV but instead they're playing to the lowest common denominator, and its not even entertaining. This could be "Face Off" and its not even "Toddlers and Tiaras" which at least has kids with more sense than these people. The fact this crap took three years to make and was produced by cosplayers is the worst offense. Clearly they just care about money and fame and not everyone thinking we're horrible people. I'm honestly embarrassed by this show. The fact that the supposed "leaders" of our community wanted this to be its representation made me want to throw up.

But what do I know, I hate all reality shows that aren't talent competitions, and then I only like the ones that focus on the actual talent and not the drama, like Face Off and So You Think You Can Dance. If I want to listen to obnoxious people bitching about nothing, I can just go to work and pick up the phone. Why do I want to voluntarily put up with that in my free time? i'm not even getting paid for it!
Facebook Page *~ Cosplay Website *~ Music Videos ~*

Edited by Shiva on 08-20-13 12:34 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Nigoki 
Obsessed with robots
Nigoki
Reg: 02-25-09

08-20-13 12:56 AM - Post#12698    
    In response to Shiva

-Doug Wilder
Resident Mecha fanboy of AnimeCons TV!

PatrickD 
Executive Producer
PatrickD

08-22-13 01:05 PM - Post#12708    
    In response to PatrickD

My main issues with week 2:
* Is this actually "The Yaya Han Show"? That's not what I want to watch! She may be AN ambassador of cosplay, but she is not THE ambassador of cosplay. I really do not like how this show is making it seem like you're nobody unless she approves of you and selects you as a winner. Eff that noise!
* Another mention of "cash prizes". Yeah, cash is nice, but I've never entered a masquerade with a cash prize and they're not the main motivation for most people.
* From the infamous conversation on the show about who can cosplay what, a lot was obviously cut out leaving some of the people involved scrambling on Twitter and Facebook to explain their actual views.
* Did anyone else think it was odd that they had a group of SOME of the entrants on stage when winners were announced? At first, I thought "Wow, they didn't have many entries!" Then I realized it wasn't all of the entrants, because there were some seen earlier that weren't up there. Conveniently enough, the people featured on the show were all there. I really have to wonder how much the show producers mess with the masquerade format. "Okay, for our show to work, we need the judges to be on stage and able to ask questions to the entrants."
* Riki actually finished her Hellgirl costume in 2008. This is one example of the show's staged construction montages. (I have no issues with the cosplayers re-using old costumes, but wish the show was honest about their presentation.) http://himearts.com/hellgirl.html
-PatrickD

Crazy Flower 
Token Black Chick
Crazy Flower
Loc: Beantown in the Pan
Reg: 06-02-07

08-23-13 12:28 PM - Post#12709    
    In response to PatrickD

I have been hearing stories on the grapevine that Syfy has been doing just that with the contests. Going over with their camera crew and trying to 'nudge' the judges into awarding their contestants.

I think one of the cons may have acquiesced. I believe Anime Matsuri in particular, did not.

Let it be known that the executive producer's other work includes such classes as "Flavor of Love" and "The Surreal Life" Really the pinnacle of entertainment there.

Shiva 
Cosplay Addict
Shiva

08-24-13 04:33 PM - Post#12711    
    In response to Crazy Flower

• Crazy Flower Said:
Let it be known that the executive producer's other work includes such classes as "Flavor of Love" and "The Surreal Life" Really the pinnacle of entertainment there.

Now THAT explains a LOT.

Nigoki 
Obsessed with robots
Nigoki

08-25-13 10:05 PM - Post#12714    
    In response to PatrickD

The plot thickens. Apparently someone forgot to ask permission to use photographers' pictures in the show.
http://bgzstudios.com/blog/photography/hero es-of-copyright-infringem ent-the-phot...

This just adds more fuel to the view that a lot of the work done on this project was not fully thought out.
-Doug Wilder

EllyStar 
New England Con Whore
EllyStar

08-26-13 10:34 AM - Post#12715    
    In response to Shiva

• Shiva Said:
The fact this crap took three years to make and was produced by cosplayers is the worst offense.

Except it's not.

And why does it feel like we watched two entirely different shows?
My Conventions

Shiva 
Cosplay Addict
Shiva

08-26-13 09:58 PM - Post#12718    
    In response to EllyStar

@ Elly-Star: Yeah, I realize they had much less to do with it after I wrote the post, but the rest of my opinion stands. No idea on us watching different shows, but we'll have to chat more about this next time we hang out.

@ Doug - I just read the photography article - another interesting angle. This is pretty poor homework on the part of NBC/Syfy - i'm sure they have a top-notch legal team but I have a hard time seeing how they can wiggle out of this. Photographers get jacked a lot on the cosplay scene; I think this is a great opportunity for them to impress their right to credit and certainly compensation.

My biggest beef with this show is how inherently LAZY it is; its so shallow and fake and makes the entire hobby look like the ridiculous pursuit the rest of the world thinks it is when there is enough real drama in cosplay to fill an entire season if they gave a crap enough about the scene to try at and capture it at ALL. This complete negligence on the show's part is just another aspect of this.

Edited by Shiva on 08-26-13 10:06 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

EllyStar 
New England Con Whore
EllyStar

08-27-13 12:00 PM - Post#12719    
    In response to Shiva

• Shiva Said:
@ Doug - I just read the photography article - another interesting angle. This is pretty poor homework on the part of NBC/Syfy - i'm sure they have a top-notch legal team but I have a hard time seeing how they can wiggle out of this. Photographers get jacked a lot on the cosplay scene; I think this is a great opportunity for them to impress their right to credit and certainly compensation.

I've had a number of friends share this on Facebook, and in one of the post's discussions someone I don't know (I think he's a photographer though) brought up an interesting point. Could this open up a new issue of people making costumes of copyrighted material and entering them into contests where money is won? Or people who make commissions and make money from that? I don't think that will come about, but I did find it interesting that they're using real names of characters and stuff, especially Merida.
My Conventions

Nigoki 
Obsessed with robots
Nigoki

08-27-13 02:24 PM - Post#12720    
    In response to EllyStar

Like a lot of things in fandom, it walks a very fine line. Sometimes companies look at things like cosplay as fans doing free advertising for them, but it usually because money isn't involved, there are prizes, but not cash.
I remember a few years back there was a big to-do because a record label found out about AMV.org. I forget the exact details, but I think it was settled because no one was making a profit from the site, so it wasn't like the musical artists were losing a sale.

I'm no lawyer, but my view is that photographers create the images with their skills and equipment, that's their creation/product. Using their image without consent is using their product without permission.

I should bug the person I know who studied intellectual property law, get his thoughts.
-Doug Wilder

PatrickD 
Executive Producer
PatrickD

08-28-13 01:50 PM - Post#12722    
    In response to Shiva

• Shiva Said:
My biggest beef with this show is how inherently LAZY it is; its so shallow and fake and makes the entire hobby look like the ridiculous pursuit the rest of the world thinks it is when there is enough real drama in cosplay to fill an entire season if they gave a crap enough about the scene to try at and capture it at ALL. This complete negligence on the show's part is just another aspect of this.

I agree. LAZY. I wish it didn't make us all out as if we're all in it for the competitions and we'll kill ourselves to win Best in Show. Ugh. Yes, there are some people out there who may be obsessed with competing, but I know Riki is not one of them...she just wants to make cool costumes and show them off. Yes, competing is a good way to show them off and who wouldn't want to be picked as the winner when you compete, but the way the show is playing this, it's like some of these people will kill themselves if they don't win. I have to wonder how much of that is actually the people being that obsessed with winning and how much is fabricated by the show's producers.

Last night's episode was the best so far because they actually showed A LOT of the construction process and less of the manufactured drama. I'm going to chalk that up to being a coincidence and NOT a reaction to viewer complaints.

Also, with Yaya Han out of the country, it seemed less like "The Yaya Han Show". It could have done without the visit to her booth though since that was completely pointless other than to promote her more. (I'm REALLY sick of how much blatant promotion this show is doing for her business.) They didn't spend any time saying where Chloe or that armor dude were, so it was way too much time spent on Yaya when she's not even in the episode.

...and near the end of the episode, they had an establishing shot of Atlanta (which was used earlier in the episode...and the exact same highway seen in the first season of The Walking Dead) right before cutting to Megacon (which is in Orlando). Oops! I'm assuming this was an editor's error of pulling in the wrong footage and not an attempt to pass off Atlanta as Orlando.

Next week is Anime Matsuri. Bleh.
-PatrickD

Sketch 
Legend
Sketch
Loc: MA
Reg: 12-18-06

08-28-13 08:21 PM - Post#12725    
    In response to EllyStar

• EllyStar Said:
Could this open up a new issue of people making costumes of copyrighted material and entering them into contests where money is won? Or people who make commissions and make money from that? I don't think that will come about, but I did find it interesting that they're using real names of characters and stuff, especially Merida.

Good point - Disney especially has historically been extremely protective of its intellectual property. My guess is that under copyright law, this is total infringement, but it isn't impacting their bottom line in any way so its not worth calling in the expensive legal team. Think about how long it took for record labels to go after Napster or how long it took for Viacom to go after YouTube - they did, but people were sharing entire seasons of TV, albums of songs, etc and it was pretty easy to step into a courtroom and show how they were being hurt as an industry. I think they would have less to gain and more to loose on going after cosplayers. I can easily see them going after commissioners, however, a la wizard scarves and Jayne hats.

- Shiva on Sketch's computer

Edited by Sketch on 08-28-13 08:21 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Proz 
Con Addict
Proz
Loc: Texas
Reg: 08-08-07

09-01-13 12:22 AM - Post#12731    
    In response to PatrickD

• PatrickD Said:
Next week is Anime Matsuri. Bleh.

I was there. I've refrained from watching but now need to see if I pop up as they did a couple shots of the cosplayer walking in front of our table with cameras rolling by.
San Japan - San Antonio, Texas - Convention Chairman

Nigoki 
Obsessed with robots
Nigoki

09-10-13 05:13 PM - Post#12795    
    In response to PatrickD

Over at ANN, Zac gives a pretty harsh critique, pretty much hitting all the issues I've heard voiced by others, the common theme being that the show is a very poor representation of the community despite trying to claim otherwise.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2013-09-10

I'd love to see fans find a positive way to counteract the bad taste the show is leaving in everyone's mouth without just sounding negative or directing ill will towards the participants of the show.
-Doug Wilder

PatrickD 
Executive Producer
PatrickD

09-10-13 06:16 PM - Post#12796    
    In response to Nigoki

HA HA! Excellent article by Zac.
-PatrickD

Nigoki 
Obsessed with robots
Nigoki

09-17-13 04:20 PM - Post#12824    
    In response to Nigoki

Another pretty heavy duty rant about how stilted things are.

https://www.facebook.com/amy.r.schley/posts/980934383139

Again, I'd like to see something positive come from all this, but the more I see things like this, the further away that possibility seems.
-Doug Wilder

PatrickD 
Executive Producer
PatrickD

09-17-13 04:42 PM - Post#12825    
    In response to Nigoki

I wonder how much of that drama will make it into the show...
-PatrickD

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Recent Topics
AnimeCons.com

AnimeCons.com Home | Conventions | Guests | Members | AnimeCons TV | Articles | Reports

FusionBB™ Version 2.2 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.273 seconds.   Total Queries: 73  
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 12:51 PM