Username Post: Gah… dealing with inexperienced staff        (Topic#2934)
Himeno 
Attendee

Reg: 02-27-10

07-05-13 08:07 AM - Post#12606    

So, the local anime con has been revived in recent years. Albeit with a new name and completely new staff.

The people who ran the old con mostly left the country and left the few willing remaining staff short handed and unable to run anything. The current staff basically blocked out the remaining old staff from this years event by not talking to them. They are now seeking new staff to help with next years event.

These new staff have little to no experience and appear to be running it as a larger university anime club event.
In their list of positions, they have combined positions which should really be done by 2 or more people. Eg, they want one person to plan and run all events, including large events like Cosplay. Or having just one person to deal with screenings, scheduling and all AV/tech equipment. (it is a small con, but they also think that the last event was successful when it had 1/3 the attendees of the same event with the old staff)

How do you deal with inexperienced people like this, especially people who have thus far ignored any advice from people who do have experience?

Movie Phone Guy 
Con Regular
Movie Phone Guy
Loc: Maine
Reg: 01-09-07

07-06-13 08:09 PM - Post#12615    
    In response to Himeno

It's a tough call. In my humble opinon, If someone is truly inexperienced, and still unwilling to take useful advice, your only real option is to let them do their thing.

Hopefully one of two things is going to happen.

A: The event will go well and they will prove that they are competent with the tasks they were assigned.

B: They will fail at some level and learn from their experiences the next time around.

PortConMaine TechOps Chair 2006 -2011
PortConMaine Event Support Chair 2012-2015
Owner of a pretty good Alfredo recipe
Sometimes Patrick plays my Voicemails.

Edited by Movie Phone Guy on 07-06-13 08:10 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Himeno 
Attendee

Reg: 02-27-10

07-12-13 08:58 AM - Post#12628    
    In response to Movie Phone Guy

hmmm...

After speaking with someone who attended the event this year and was part of the old staff, there were major issues during the last event and indications are that they haven't learnt anything from them.

They called a meeting for last weekend and posted online asking for people interested in helping to come - yet refused to say when or where this meeting would be.

There is an "alliance" of most of the anime cons in Australia. They cross promote each others events and often send staff to the other cons to help run events (eg one con might run another cons Trivia contest).

As much as I would like to see the local anime con improve and grow, at this stage it seems all I can really do is recommend to the other anime cons is that this revived con not be allowed into the alliance.

Volibear 
Attendee

Reg: 04-01-13

03-31-14 11:11 AM - Post#13705    
    In response to Himeno

I know what you mean on that actually, I don't know what to really tell you other than what I would recommend. I am personally trying to start my own con and I understand that there are going to be people that don't know what they are doing. I was with a con here in south texas that didn't know what they were doing to save their lives. I had to assume the roles of about 5 other people and I still managed to pull it off. The only thing they could do is celebrate that they moved to another venue but it proved to be too much for them. I was told that I wasn't ready even after assuming control of the entire con at one point cause I was the most experienced person there at one point. Not sure what happened to the rest of the staff.

What I am trying to say is this, there are going to be people that think they know what they are doing but they don't. You just have to let them do their thing and see if they succeed or fail, then you have to make a decision to let them go or simply give up the project. Not trying to sound like a downer or such but for me, I simply wanted to handle my dept, not 3 or 4 at the same time. I didn't have the power to let these people go but if I did, I would of done so in a heartbeat. I put in my resignation and left and I never looked back on that decision.
Con Chair in the making

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Recent Topics
AnimeCons.com

AnimeCons.com Home | Conventions | Guests | Members | AnimeCons TV | Articles | Reports

FusionBB™ Version 2.2 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.13 seconds.   Total Queries: 36  
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 09:08 PM