Article by PatrickD    (08-11-13 04:55 PM)
Otakon, which celebrated its 20th year this past weekend, has announced that they will be moving to Washington, DC in 2017 for a period of at least five years.

Although it was first held in Pennsylvania in 1994, Otakon has been held in Baltimore every summer since 1999 and is one of Baltimore's few city-wide events with an attendance of over 32,000 people. In their press release, Otakon states "The Baltimore Convention Center has not aged gracefully and there are proposals to replace both the BCC and the Arena over the next five years. Any upgrades would require at least a temporary move and would result in disruptive changes in our facilities regardless of the final outcome."

Bids were evaluated from both Baltimore and Washington, DC. In June, the organization's bidding members selected DC as the best option. Otakon 2017 will be held at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center in Washington, DC. Specific dates have yet to be announced.

Username Comments
PatrickD 
Executive Producer
PatrickD
Loc: California
Reg: 12-07-06

08-11-13 04:57 PM - Post#12672    
    In response to PatrickD

Finally! I've always hated Baltimore. That has been the #1, #2 and #3 reasons that I have not attended Otakon since 2005. Baltimore sucks. In fact, I love the movie version of The Sum of All Fears because they blow up Baltimore. It's a hole. Good riddance.
-PatrickD
AnimeCons.com Executive Producer
Co-Founder: Anime Boston and Providence Anime Conference
Host of The Chibi Project & Anime Unscripted™

Crazy Flower 
Token Black Chick
Crazy Flower
Loc: Beantown in the Pan
Reg: 06-02-07

08-11-13 05:49 PM - Post#12674    
    In response to PatrickD

I have a feeling that once Otakon leaves Baltimore, they will not be going back.

I'm indifferent, but I haven't seen what the facilities of the new venue and what's around the area will be like.

It will be a loss for Baltimore, who probably enjoyed the revenue that the convention brought in.

Himeno 
Attendee

Reg: 02-27-10

08-12-13 02:36 AM - Post#12677    
    In response to Crazy Flower

They have mentioned something like that before on their forum. That if they moved from BCC, it would be unlikely they went back.

I said something about this on twitter over the weekend. My friends at the con were commenting on Baltimore having other large events in the same area at the same time as Otakon (eg, baseball, marathons, large concerts etc) and asking for Baltimore to get their act together and stop the double bookings. I replied with "least Otakon move to DC". That was on Saturday... ^^;;

A date of 2017 would suggest that Otakon has a contract to use BCC for the next 3 years and they announced today that they signed a 5 year contract with DC. I wonder what would happen if Baltimore starts any replacement works on BCC during the next 3 years.

Otakon released the dates for next year on their twitter account. Aug 8-10, BCC.

Nigoki 
Obsessed with robots
Nigoki
Reg: 02-25-09

08-12-13 05:41 PM - Post#12681    
    In response to PatrickD

I'm torn, there is a part of me that has grown accustomed to the usual trip to the BCC, know the layout both inside the venue and around it (good for finding food, lodging, etc), and with my first anime con being Otakon 2001, it'll be weird seeing it move. I also worry about hotel prices in DC which is a much bigger destination than Baltimore.

But, the con has really been starting to feel the limits of its space, and being able to move around more would be great. I also think it'll force the con to really think about room layouts and locations for programming. Sometimes it feels like certain things are assigned to rooms because it's "tradition" not because it's the best choice.

Otakon has the benefit of a name that allows a good amount of movement. Cons like Anime Weekend Atlanta and Anime Boston are kinda limited in options if they ever choose to find a new venue.
-Doug Wilder
Resident Mecha fanboy of AnimeCons TV!

PatrickD 
Executive Producer
PatrickD

08-13-13 02:39 PM - Post#12683    
    In response to Nigoki

• Nigoki Said:
Otakon has the benefit of a name that allows a good amount of movement. Cons like Anime Weekend Atlanta and Anime Boston are kinda limited in options if they ever choose to find a new venue.

...although, unlike Otakon moving to DC, it's unlikely AWA or AB would ever move out of those cities just because there's no cities with better venues that are reasonably close. In Otakon's case, DC is only an hour from Balitmore.
-PatrickD

SyFyCon 
Con Regular

Reg: 12-27-06

08-25-13 01:15 PM - Post#12712    
    In response to PatrickD

One of the reasons we started Anime USA was because Otakon had moved to Baltimore. With the 2 conventions not only close in date, but also now in the same city, this is going to be tough.

SyFyCon 
Con Regular

Reg: 12-27-06

08-25-13 02:59 PM - Post#12713    
    In response to SyFyCon

• Anime South Said:
One of the reasons we started Anime USA was because Otakon had moved to Baltimore. With the 2 conventions not only close in date, but also now in the same city, this is going to be tough.

P.S. I am no longer affiliated with Anime USA. I helped create and run it for many years.

vrmlbasic 
Con Regular

Reg: 02-23-12

09-04-13 06:24 PM - Post#12748    
    In response to SyFyCon

I can't say that I'm a fan of the move. I might try to adapt (something that Baltimore sadly didn't do regarding Otakon) but I wouldn't bet that I'll be at Otakon 2017 (if you know what I mean )

I'm still trying to adapt to AnimeUSA's move to DC. It has the advantage of the move being, for me, fully advantageous while Otakon's move to DC has some pretty hefty drawbacks for me.

I have noticed that the AnimeUSA metro station barely withstood the crowds to which it was subjected to last year (I wonder how the crowds will be this year). Now I understand that the Otakon's stop is bigger than AUSA's "podunk" redline stop but Otakon's crowd is vastly larger than AnimeUSA's: can its metro stop accommodate its normal crush of commuters in addition to the tens of thousands coming in for Otakon?

vrmlbasic 
Con Regular

Reg: 02-23-12

09-08-13 03:05 AM - Post#12774    
    In response to PatrickD

• PatrickD Said:
Finally! I've always hated Baltimore. That has been the #1, #2 and #3 reasons that I have not attended Otakon since 2005. Baltimore sucks. In fact, I love the movie version of The Sum of All Fears because they blow up Baltimore. It's a hole. Good riddance.

Decided to comment on this after all: if you replaced "Baltimore" with "Boston" (excluding the Tom Clancy movie ref, obviously..and sadly) this post would sum up my sentiments towards AnimeBoston; Reason "#4" would be that AB has only a fraction of the size of Otakon but 100% of its issues. As much as I despise Baltimore and can't abide by the incompetence of its leaders, it is leagues above Boston. BTW if you think that DC is considerably better than Baltimore than you're in for a shock.

Getting into Baltimore for the BCC is much easier (and cheaper) than getting into DC, as I'm suddenly being reminded now that AnimeUSA is on the horizon. I'm still amazed at how long it takes the DC metro to go such short distances (and how decrepit the metro system is).

PatrickD 
Executive Producer
PatrickD

09-08-13 07:20 PM - Post#12779    
    In response to vrmlbasic

75% of my hatred towards Baltimore is related to Otakon being in the summer and the heat, humidity, and smells associated with it. Boston in the spring wins out over that EVERY TIME. No contest.

However, this thread is about Otakon, Baltimore, and DC. Boston has nothing to do with it, so let's not start arguments over which city is best. Thanks.
-PatrickD

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Recent Topics
AnimeCons.com

AnimeCons.com Home | Conventions | Guests | Members | AnimeCons TV | Articles | Reports

FusionBB™ Version 2.2 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.212 seconds.   Total Queries: 46  
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 12:57 AM