Username Post: Staff Payment        (Topic#2973)
NyanCon 
Attendee

Loc: Kirtland Ohio
Reg: 09-19-13

09-20-13 11:22 PM - Post#12855    

I just found out that a lot of local cons near me pay their low-level staff in hotel rooms and only senior staff get paid. I'm surprised, I assumed anyone listed as staff got an hourly rate and volunteers would be free. So now I'm curious.

What do other conventions do? Do you pay an actual wage or just compensate the badge and room?

If you pay a wage, do you under-the-table pay or go through proper tax-paying channels? Hourly or a flat rate for the weekend?

Thank you!

PatrickD 
Executive Producer
PatrickD
Loc: California
Reg: 12-07-06

09-21-13 12:59 AM - Post#12856    
    In response to NyanCon

I've never heard of any fan con actually paying anyone (with rare exceptions like New York Comic Con that are run by event companies for a profit). Cons I've staffed usually offer a variety of benefits, but no actual pay...and EVERYONE gets the same thing no matter if they're in charge of a department or just your typical security staffer checking badges.

For example, Anime Boston offers:
* Hotel room (with up to 3 others) for Thursday (night before the con) through Sunday night (after the con ends).
* Free badge
* 1 staff T-shirt (with additional shirts sold AT COST if ordered in advance)
* Free lunch and dinner Friday and Saturday and free lunch Sunday
* Access to the "Dead Dog Party" on Sunday night after packing up is done

Staff members are expected to fulfill their duties, of course. For most, his means working at least 8 hours a day at the con...often more depending on the job.

The con also has volunteers which get much less, but are also expected to do less.

I've also staffed PortConMaine. They would only offer hotel rooms to staff who live an hour or more away and no food, but still give a free shirt and access to "staff pie" at IHOP after the con.
-PatrickD
AnimeCons.com Executive Producer
Co-Founder: Anime Boston and Providence Anime Conference
Host of The Chibi Project & Anime Unscripted™

NyanCon 
Attendee

Loc: Kirtland Ohio
Reg: 09-19-13

09-21-13 01:50 AM - Post#12857    
    In response to PatrickD

Huh, then I guess the one con I know of that pays a year-round monthly paycheck to department heads is a rarity. Thank you!

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Recent Topics
AnimeCons.com

AnimeCons.com Home | Conventions | Guests | Members | AnimeCons TV | Articles | Reports

FusionBB™ Version 2.2 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.142 seconds.   Total Queries: 34  
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 02:10 PM