Username Post: DashCon: Lessons in what NOT to Do        (Topic#3338)
Nigoki 
Obsessed with robots
Nigoki
Reg: 02-25-09

07-14-14 10:07 AM - Post#13920    

(If you haven't heard about the kerfuffle that was DashCon this past weekend here's a good place to start.
http://observationdeck.io9.com/when-fandom-falls-apa rt-dashcon-edition-160430 314... )

There's still a lot of speculation going on about what happened and what is just exaggeration of understandably upset attendees, but the thing that stands out to me the most is that there appears to be a lot of lies and misinformation coming from the organizers. It is one thing if a staff chooses to omit certain details and not share info about some of the behind the scenes problems (as long as they are getting fixed) but actively LYING crosses a line. Attendees aren't stupid, the truth will get out.

(To be continued when I get another break at work)
-Doug Wilder
Resident Mecha fanboy of AnimeCons TV!

PatrickD 
Executive Producer
PatrickD
Loc: California
Reg: 12-07-06

07-14-14 12:59 PM - Post#13921    
    In response to Nigoki

The "extra hour in the ball pit" is my favorite thing to ever come out of a convention disaster.
-PatrickD
AnimeCons.com Executive Producer
Co-Founder: Anime Boston and Providence Anime Conference
Host of The Chibi Project & Anime Unscripted™

Nigoki 
Obsessed with robots
Nigoki

07-14-14 01:17 PM - Post#13923    
    In response to PatrickD

• PatrickD Said:
The "extra hour in the ball pit" is my favorite thing to ever come out of a convention disaster.

It's already become a meme, has its own twitter account, and I'm betting by Otakon we'll see at least one cosplay of it.
-Doug Wilder

Nigoki 
Obsessed with robots
Nigoki

07-14-14 03:02 PM - Post#13925    
    In response to Nigoki

The hardest part is separating facts from speculations right now, but it seems like at every chance to mismanage something, they did.

The whole debacle with Welcome to the Nightvale reading just leaves me shaking my head. Here's a clip about what some of the attendees experienced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3_6v4J6AIk

I've never worked in guest relations, but I have been on a convention staff for over ten years and here are some of the red flags I see.

1) Throwing the guest under the bus. You don't publicly try to turn everything into the guest's fault. That will not win you any favor with said guest, who is probably already upset with you. It'll probably also serve as a warning sign to other guests (current or potential future ones).

2) "We'll get you your money right after the show". Yeah, I don't blame WTNV for walking out at this point. Getting your payment secure is a pretty big deal for guests and my feeling is that if they had waited til after the performance, there'd be a whole new set of excuses. If you're a con runner and worried about the guest running out on you and not fulfilling their end of an agreement, well, that's why you make contracts.

3) "Let's all collectively sigh" Again, throwing the guest under the bus, but also it's talking down to your attendees. This just adds fuel to the fire of hurt feelings.

4) Granted, there are cuts in the video, but it appears that it took over an hour to get any explanation about what was going. That's suspicious, but also disrespectful to the attendees. A short "Hey we're working on something, we hope to get started soon" is the least you can do.
-Doug Wilder

PatrickD 
Executive Producer
PatrickD

07-14-14 05:10 PM - Post#13927    
    In response to Nigoki

• Nigoki Said:
2) "We'll get you your money right after the show". Yeah, I don't blame WTNV for walking out at this point. Getting your payment secure is a pretty big deal for guests and my feeling is that if they had waited til after the performance, there'd be a whole new set of excuses. If you're a con runner and worried about the guest running out on you and not fulfilling their end of an agreement, well, that's why you make contracts.

They said they were going to the bank. As I understand it, this was Saturday afternoon. I don't know their bank's hours, but I don't know if I've ever seen on open on Saturday afternoons. ...and they apparently have no concept of how PayPal works and that funds are never available immediately.

• Nigoki Said:
4) Granted, there are cuts in the video, but it appears that it took over an hour to get any explanation about what was going. That's suspicious, but also disrespectful to the attendees. A short "Hey we're working on something, we hope to get started soon" is the least you can do.

Yeah, I was surprised how long they left people sitting there. The longer people sit there before learning there's not actually any panel, the more upset they're going to be. They should have faced the music a lot sooner.
-PatrickD

Nigoki 
Obsessed with robots
Nigoki

07-14-14 06:01 PM - Post#13928    
    In response to PatrickD

• PatrickD Said:

• Nigoki Said:

Yeah, I was surprised how long they left people sitting there. The longer people sit there before learning there's not actually any panel, the more upset they're going to be. They should have faced the music a lot sooner.

The only thing I can figure is that during that time someone was pleading with WTNV people begging them not to leave.
-Doug Wilder

Crazy Flower 
Token Black Chick
Crazy Flower
Loc: Beantown in the Pan
Reg: 06-02-07

07-15-14 12:46 PM - Post#13929    
    In response to Nigoki

I was keeping up on this disaster after work on Saturday. I've never seen a convention go down in flames in realtime before.

Did you also get a chance to read what one of the committee heads posted on the process of the convention? It's a semi-miracle that the con actually happened in the first place. http://augustinesycamore.tumblr.com/post/91592502875/here -goes-i-decided-to-writ...

Just. Wow.

And you know what the worst part is: They plan on having another convention NEXT YEAR.

http://www.dashcon.org/dashcon-2015-basic-in formation/

At Lucas Oil Stadium. LUCAS. OIL. STADIUM. As in the same place that hosted a Super Bowl a few years back. I'm flabbergasted.

Edited by Crazy Flower on 07-15-14 01:04 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

PatrickD 
Executive Producer
PatrickD

08-03-14 06:23 PM - Post#13967    
    In response to Crazy Flower

• Crazy Flower Said:
And you know what the worst part is: They plan on having another convention NEXT YEAR.

http://www.dashcon.org/dashcon-2015-basic-in formation/

At Lucas Oil Stadium. LUCAS. OIL. STADIUM. As in the same place that hosted a Super Bowl a few years back. I'm flabbergasted.

I read that they had booked that before their first year so they didn't know how many people they'd get. Talk about unrealistic expectations! Of course, rather than back out early, they're still going forward with those plans. Idiots.

At least we waited until Anime Boston filled the Park Plaza before even considering the Hynes. (Of course, we had already booked 2004 in advance of 2003 to make sure we had the space...so that delayed it a year. Better safe than sorry though!)
-PatrickD

Nigoki 
Obsessed with robots
Nigoki

08-04-14 05:25 PM - Post#13971    
    In response to PatrickD

That's always a challenge. Do you agree to sign on to secure space early on so you know you'll have a venue for the second year, or do you play it safe and wait to see how year one goes in case there's not enough interest (or worse, not enough money) to hold the event again?
-Doug Wilder

PatrickD 
Executive Producer
PatrickD

08-05-14 12:59 AM - Post#13972    
    In response to Nigoki

• Nigoki Said:
That's always a challenge. Do you agree to sign on to secure space early on so you know you'll have a venue for the second year, or do you play it safe and wait to see how year one goes in case there's not enough interest (or worse, not enough money) to hold the event again?

Indeed. However, I think it was quite overly optimistic of them to decide that not only should they move Dashcon to a convention in their second year without knowing what first year attendance looked like...but to move it to a convention center 211 miles away in a DIFFERENT STATE? Idiotic.
-PatrickD

Nigoki 
Obsessed with robots
Nigoki

09-03-14 05:58 PM - Post#14004    
    In response to Nigoki

Just when you thought it was safe to go back into the Ball Pit...

http://www.nerdandtie.com/2014/09/03/dashcon-re brands-as-emoticon-hopes- you-wont...

Ok, sure they want to re-brand after a distarous first start, but let's look at some of the mistakes already being made.

-Inconsistency on the changes. If you're going to rename, you have to do it everywhere. Leave nothing to chance and make the break clean. If a venue has your information wrong, contact them to fix it ASAP. (Also make sure you know which way you're going to spell the new name!)

-Don't use a common everyday word for your con name. If you want people to come to your con, you've gotta make information easy to find. If people are looking for information via Google and finding only information unrelated to your event, that's not helping you or them.

-Check to see if there isn't already an event with that name. Ok, sure because it's an everyday word, you probably couldn't have found it easily, but still do your research.

-And once again, don't try and pull a fast one on people. As we saw last time, trying to be clever and hide things just leaves people wondering why they should trust you. Don't broadcast the information, (you don't want to sound like a spite con) but don't hide it either. It's a lot easier to remember things if you're honest when asked.
-Doug Wilder

PatrickD 
Executive Producer
PatrickD

09-03-14 08:19 PM - Post#14005    
    In response to Nigoki

Emoti-Con will always be tied to Dashcon here:
http://fancons.com/events/info.shtml/5042/Emoti-Con_2015

Under "Previous/Future Events", DashCon will always be listed as long as this thing goes forward.
-PatrickD

Nigoki 
Obsessed with robots
Nigoki

12-10-14 08:44 AM - Post#14187    
    In response to Nigoki

And now Emoti-Con is canceled with no plans to reschedule.

• In reply to:
Emoti-Con Indy is sad to announce that we are cancelling our 2015 event. Due to many concers— personal, financial, and safety —the June 2015 event will not be taking place. At this time, we have no plans or intentions of rescheduling. Refunds have been issued to those who bought tickets. Thank you all for your support.

Source: http://emoti-con.tumblr.com/post/104815919298/due -to-a-great-many-factors- emoti-...

It says a lot when even the announcement canceling the event has spelling errors. I want to see all cons succeed, but so much of this event, in all its forms, left me shaking my head. I hope future con organizers take this as a cautionary tale.
-Doug Wilder

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Recent Topics
AnimeCons.com

AnimeCons.com Home | Conventions | Guests | Members | AnimeCons TV | Articles | Reports

FusionBB™ Version 2.2 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.156 seconds.   Total Queries: 54  
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 02:06 AM