Username Post: First Time Artist's Alley        (Topic#3350)
FrancisBfoy 

Reg: 08-15-14

08-15-14 12:34 PM - Post#13989    

Alright, so this was the best place I could find to ask the question. Since so many people here are convention staff from various conventions, I figured I could get the most help here.

I'm not running an Artist's Alley, I'm going to be in one. However, the convention that I'm attending (a small Minnesotan one that shall remain nameless) doesn't have much along the lines of help on their website, nor their help desk. I've asked them what I need to get a table (like a seller's permit, a portfolio, etc) but the only thing I got back was that I just need the money to pay for the table.

Doesn't that sound kind of fishy? No one helped me at all when it came to the taxes issue- this is the only con I'm selling my art at this year, and I only have a few things so I'm not expecting much profit until I get the hang of things next year. Even then, I only go to one or two cons a year (I'm on a college student budget- can't do much with it).

And fanart- I've attended this convention in the past, and all the tables have nothing but fanart, save for one or two artists. Do I need a permit for that, too? I've tried googling it, but all the answers are for bigger conventions in bigger states with different rules than my home state of backwoods Minnesota.

If I could get some general help when it comes to an Artist's Alley run, I would appreciate it! This'll probably be the last time I try to sell at this specific con (it's in Oct) and I'm going to switch to another con that's roughly the same size that seems to have their crap together.

PatrickD 
Executive Producer
PatrickD
Loc: California
Reg: 12-07-06

08-15-14 01:12 PM - Post#13990    
    In response to FrancisBfoy

• FrancisBfoy Said:
I'm not running an Artist's Alley, I'm going to be in one. However, the convention that I'm attending (a small Minnesotan one that shall remain nameless) doesn't have much along the lines of help on their website, nor their help desk. I've asked them what I need to get a table (like a seller's permit, a portfolio, etc) but the only thing I got back was that I just need the money to pay for the table.

Doesn't that sound kind of fishy?

In my experience, I've seen small conventions not ask for seller's permit and fly under the radar of things like seller's permits and taxes. A large convention can't get away with that.

Different cons have different criteria for who gets to be in artists' alley. It seems like this one's not that picky. Others have portfolio reviews or some other selection process. Some are first-come, first-serve. This doesn't seem fishy. It seems typical for a small or young con.
-PatrickD
AnimeCons.com Executive Producer
Co-Founder: Anime Boston and Providence Anime Conference
Host of The Chibi Project & Anime Unscripted™

FrancisBfoy 

08-16-14 06:40 PM - Post#13993    
    In response to PatrickD

So then, I'd be able to do it without getting a permit?

Volibear 
Attendee

Reg: 04-01-13

08-17-14 12:46 PM - Post#13994    

Well, in my honest opinion, I don't really think it matters that much since it is a smaller con, not to be mistaken with I don't need a permit, but IMHO, I would say get a permit just to be safe since while it doesn't really make sense to go after small fry, I know that there are people that will do that stuff. There is one guy that we have to deal with that we call him the convention killer since he literally is nit-picky about EVERY. LITTLE. THING. You do one thing wrong and he will blow it up for the entire world to know. He basically goes around and reports bootlegging, sellers without permits, cons without permits, etc... Hopefully, that doesn't happen to you but I would play it safe and just get a permit.
Con Chair in the making

FrancisBfoy 

08-17-14 11:22 PM - Post#13995    
    In response to Volibear

I think I'm going to try to find a way to get a permit. I live in an even smaller town (the sign says a bit under three thousand, but I seriously doubt that) so it might be a bit difficult when it comes to finding the resources. I'll at least try, so that's better than nothing.

A.T.A. 

Loc: south bend, in
Reg: 01-25-15

01-25-15 01:26 PM - Post#14273    

I think you should get the permit bro! Just to be safe you know? I have a media company that covers cons and sales their own products, we are looking for artist.... is there any way to see your work if so please let me know may have a job for you.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Recent Topics
AnimeCons.com

AnimeCons.com Home | Conventions | Guests | Members | AnimeCons TV | Articles | Reports

FusionBB™ Version 2.2 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.189 seconds.   Total Queries: 40  
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:46 AM