Username Post: Promoting my fan panel        (Topic#3487)
arlj11 
arlj11
Loc: Orlando, FL
Reg: 06-30-15

07-10-15 01:23 PM - Post#14498    

I have developed a fan panel on social difficulties call “Real life Social Difficulties reflected in Anime”. I hope the title is self-explanatory.

I’m trying to help people who have or have to deal with people who have Social Difficulties.

I would like to present my panel at more Cons in my area. The problem I seem to be coming across is that I’m new and get rejected in favor of more established panels.

I understand the Cons reasoning in wanting to play it safe and have panels that will draw people in.

I would like tips and tricks to get my panel to standout and get notices by the Cons more.

Thank you in advance.
A.k.a. The Necomimi Guy
Part of Social Debugging

Fuzzy 
Con Regular
Fuzzy
Loc: Orlando
Reg: 12-07-07

07-16-15 02:58 PM - Post#14505    
    In response to arlj11

Hey dude,

Well, i cant speak for every con, i know that larger or well established cons get a lot of panel submissions, and as such tend to be pretty picky about their programming. For example, i believe Anime Festival Orlando (the longest running anime convention in Florida) had panel submissions for @150% of their actual capacity. This means that 1 in 3 panels that were submitted were rejected simply because of volume. To get a panel accepted there, you're gonna have to really stand out from the other submissions. (i mention this because i see youre from Orlando).

My general advice to you would be to find some smaller, newish conventions that dont get the sheer submission volumes. Ex: One of the heads of Umicon (Daytona Beach, september) mentioned to me the other day that he was still looking for more panels. Build up your experience there, and when its time to submit a panel for a bigger con, you'll be able to list previous conventions you've done it at. Also, when submitting a panel request put as much into the submission itself as you can. Be as descriptive and professional as possible.

side note: i'll be hosting a panel at AFO called "So you want to go to a con in another state". Pretty much is what it says, and i figured that, assuming PatrickD doesnt make an appearance at AFO, i'm qualified to host it.

good luck!

True wisdom comes from knowing that you know nothing
-Socrates

Thats US DUDE!!
-Ted 'Theodore' Logan

Edited by Fuzzy on 07-16-15 03:02 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

PatrickD 
Executive Producer
PatrickD
Loc: California
Reg: 12-07-06

07-17-15 04:36 AM - Post#14506    
    In response to Fuzzy

• Fuzzy Said:
side note: i'll be hosting a panel at AFO called "So you want to go to a con in another state". Pretty much is what it says, and i figured that, assuming PatrickD doesnt make an appearance at AFO, i'm qualified to host it.

LOL!
-PatrickD
AnimeCons.com Executive Producer
Co-Founder: Anime Boston and Providence Anime Conference
Host of The Chibi Project & Anime Unscripted™

arlj11 
arlj11
Loc: Orlando, FL
Reg: 06-30-15

07-17-15 10:47 PM - Post#14507    
    In response to Fuzzy

I knew submissions were high, but not that high. I came here to find ideas to get my panel submission to stand out among the others. I know I have to build my reputation.

I have done my panel at Florida Anime Experience and Umicon. I would love to do it again at Umicon if I have the money. I'm going to be hopefully doing it at International FPS.

If anyone knows of other Cons that are looking for panels, please let me know.
A.k.a. The Necomimi Guy
Part of Social Debugging

Edited by arlj11 on 07-17-15 10:51 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Recent Topics
AnimeCons.com

AnimeCons.com Home | Conventions | Guests | Members | AnimeCons TV | Articles | Reports

FusionBB™ Version 2.2 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.094 seconds.   Total Queries: 36  
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:38 AM