Username Post: The worst fan conventions in history        (Topic#3613)
PatrickD 
Executive Producer
PatrickD
Loc: California
Reg: 12-07-06

09-01-16 07:55 PM - Post#15169    

What does everyone think are some of the worst fan conventions in history? I'm not talking about the ones where you went and had a crappy time. I'm talking about the spectacular failures.

Here are some samples...
* Wine Country Comic Con (where the organizer allegedly created many fake Facebook profiles to leave reviews on the con before it ever happened, claimed to be raising money for a charity that had never heard of him and wanted nothing to do with him, blamed use of copyrighted material on his web design firm...which was his own firm, and had 100% of the original guests cancel.)

* Kunicon / Otakucon (where they used the name "Otakucon" until Otakon threatened to sue and claimed many, MANY more attendees were there than any pictures revealed.)

* Aka-Kon (where apparently things were so bad (and I need to look into it more to find out why) that one of the voice actor guests spotted the chair at the airport leaving town)

* Con no Baka (where the hotel kicked people out of the hotel early because the con couldn't come up with payment)

* Dashcon (where the hotel demanded more payment and they begged for money from attendees, guests who were there cancelled panels due to non-payment, and people were granted "an extra hour in the ball pit".)

* MineOrama (where they cancelled the Minecraft con and ran away with everyone's money)

* Kami-Kon (where it was announced 3 months before the con, 100% of the pages were text copied from Anime Boston's web site...except the masquerade rules copied from ConnectiCon, the organizer was in high school and promising a daycare, and it eventually didn't happen because nobody was falling for it and they got too few pre-registrations.)

* FedConUSA (where it was held for one day and then cancelled leaving the guest to break the news to attendees)

* Las Pegasus Unicon (where a My Little Pony con spectacularly imploded and had an impact on other MLP cons trying to get started and book guests)

* Flanvention (where it was cancelled the night before and people who flew in from across the country had nothing to do...so the guests (from "Firefly") went to hang out with attendees anyway and brought friends.)

* Space City Comic Con (where they got involved in a lawsuit over the trademark of "Space City" and also didn't pay guests their promised appearance fees.)
-PatrickD
AnimeCons.com Executive Producer
Co-Founder: Anime Boston and Providence Anime Conference
Host of The Chibi Project & Anime Unscripted™

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Recent Topics
AnimeCons.com

AnimeCons.com Home | Conventions | Guests | Members | AnimeCons TV | Articles | Reports

FusionBB™ Version 2.2 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.149 seconds.   Total Queries: 33  
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:15 AM