Username Post: Incorporating - Non-Profit or For-Profit?        (Topic#3625)
Eat The Rude 
Attendee

Loc: Altamonte Springs, Florid...
Reg: 05-07-16

11-01-16 08:53 AM - Post#15227    

I am asking for con runner experience and stories of how you incorporated as a business to run your CON.

Did you go the For-profit route or the Non-profit route?

What were the reasons for your choice...and do you wish you'd gone the other route?

My committee is specifically looking at incorporating as a 501c7 but that means we have to become a membership club with chapter meetups, dues, newsletter, local events...etc. Then we can, as a club, organize and present the convention event we want to hold. I'm not sold on all the additional work of being a "club" first and THEN putting on a convention.

So maybe the answer is a for-profit llc. That gets into sticky points on volunteering your time towards the con vs. paying committee members or giving them a stakeholder share in profits.

God...it's one step forward, two steps back at every turn!!!

I'd love to hear your story in this regard!

PatrickD 
Executive Producer
PatrickD
Loc: California
Reg: 12-07-06

11-01-16 11:16 PM - Post#15228    
    In response to Eat The Rude

• Eat The Rude Said:
My committee is specifically looking at incorporating as a 501c7 but that means we have to become a membership club with chapter meetups, dues, newsletter, local events...etc. Then we can, as a club, organize and present the convention event we want to hold. I'm not sold on all the additional work of being a "club" first and THEN putting on a convention.

Have you noticed that many non-profit cons refer to "registering for a membership" rather than "buying a ticket"? This is how they get around that. It's not as hard as you think.

"chapter meetups" = staff meetings and the convention itself
"dues" = convention registration
"newsletter" = convention program and any e-mail newsletters
"local events" = convention itself

This "additional work" you speak of? You're already doing it.

Running a convention isn't easy to begin with. If you're looking for the easy way, you've picked the wrong hobby.

As for non-profit vs for-profit, that's up to you...but non-profit has benefits (like being able to buy some stuff tax-free, getting free web hosting with DreamHost, etc.) but can also be a pain (forming a non-profit, finding a lawyer familiar with them for advice, and filing taxes for a non-profit).
-PatrickD
AnimeCons.com Executive Producer
Co-Founder: Anime Boston and Providence Anime Conference
Host of The Chibi Project & Anime Unscripted™

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Recent Topics
AnimeCons.com

AnimeCons.com Home | Conventions | Guests | Members | AnimeCons TV | Articles | Reports

FusionBB™ Version 2.2 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.108 seconds.   Total Queries: 32  
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:33 PM