Username Post: Responding to Emails        (Topic#3746)
TheNerdyAgent 

Reg: 01-10-18

01-10-18 01:51 PM - Post#15595    

I used to be a con chair, but now am an agent to about a dozen celebrity anime voice artists. My main advice for anyone organizing a con is to ANSWER YOUR EMAILS. I find it unprofessional when you post a method of contact on your websites but NO ONE REPLIES. If a celebrity cannot contact you - they will for sure note that. If you are a bunch of volunteers that cannot handle answering emails then rather NOT post a method of contact on your webpage. There are many cons that my clients won't work with, because they find it insulting when we aren't given so much as a courtesy reply. Hope this helps!

VinceA 
Attendee
VinceA
Loc: Bayonne, NJ
Reg: 12-20-06

01-11-18 05:18 PM - Post#15596    
    In response to TheNerdyAgent

Are you referring to a reply to a cold email? I get tons of mails from agents looking to book their clients at our show. I don't reply to unsolicited emails very often since they're... unsolicited.

TheNerdyAgent 

01-24-18 11:39 AM - Post#15602    
    In response to VinceA

Then don't post your email - or simply write above the email "does not reply to unsolicited emails." If your email is posted on your website then aren't ALL emails received "unsolicited?" That logic makes no sense. Someone has to send the first email. Either you contact guests in an unsolicited manner or guests contact you in an unsolicited manner.

Guests get dozens of unsolicited emails from conventions all the time - but since my email is posted publicly I always reply. I am also not a millennial - and they seem to be running conventions, which means a different culture of communication.

Celebrity guests should not be ignored. If you don't want unsolicited emails, then why bother posting your email on your main webpage? MANY conventions say flat out that they will not reply to guest requests. Therefor, it is clear to the agent and celebrity that cold emails are not welcomed. But to just post an email for your guest liaison and then ignore emails is beyond unprofessional.

Edited by TheNerdyAgent on 01-24-18 11:39 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Proz 
Con Addict
Proz
Loc: Texas
Reg: 08-08-07

02-22-18 02:50 AM - Post#15605    

After one too many guests who would grief me for not inviting them when I sent a polite decline or would persistently badger me all year to invite them I had to stop answering them. I've had to put multiple guests and agents on my spam filter who don't get the hint that we are not interested in them.

I wrote a FAQ on how our guest selection takes place. They see it when they try to contact us. It has greatly reduced the unsolicited guest emails.

I really try to press, "Don't call us, we'll call you." If you're US based we probably know how to get in touch with you.

I'd say of the dozens of unsolicited guest emails I get a year there will be 1-2 guests that catch my eye to warrant sending an invite.
San Japan - San Antonio, Texas - Convention Chairman

TheNerdyAgent 

03-05-18 11:34 AM - Post#15606    
    In response to Proz

The fact that you have a FAQ page and a clear explanation is exactly what is missing from most conventions. Bottom line, if you post an email address with no disclaimer, then it is RUDE and UNPROFESSIONAL to ignore emails. There is no such thing as an "unsolicited" email when you post a method of contact on your web page with no disclaimer.
It is also worth noting that there is a big difference between cosplay guests, self-published authors, extras and true "celebrity" guests. I find it odd that any true "celebrity" guest would be hounding a convention for an invite....I know my clients are busy doing voice over work and winning Emmy's to wish for me to hound a convention. I cannot imagine the the cast of Sailor Moon or Dragon Ball Z or Pokemon begging to be invited to a convention - and if they are - then it's likely because the convention was too rude to reply. When a "celebrity" reaches out, it would be advantageous to offer a courtesy reply - as they are the reason you have conventions to begin with, so it's in poor taste to dismiss their requests and dump them in a spam folder.
The general perception among voice actors that are ignored is that the convention has gotten too high on its own self - and has since lost sight of why it exists in the first place.
Again - this is just the direct feedback from clients - I don't speak for everyone, but I do believe that this sentiment is echoed by many.

PatrickD 
Executive Producer
PatrickD
Loc: California
Reg: 12-07-06

03-05-18 02:47 PM - Post#15607    

• TheNerdyAgent Said:
I find it odd that any true "celebrity" guest would be hounding a convention for an invite....

You'd be surprised.
-PatrickD
AnimeCons.com Executive Producer
Co-Founder: Anime Boston and Providence Anime Conference
Host of The Chibi Project & Anime Unscripted™

TheNerdyAgent 

03-14-18 11:34 AM - Post#15609    
    In response to PatrickD

Fair enough - but if it weren't for the voice actors, most conventions would be irrelevant. If you don't want unsolicited emails, then make it clear on your web page. If you post an email and a contact page - you are inviting unsolicited emails. And therefore it is unprofessional to ignore emails from ANYONE - let alone the voice actors who make most conventions what they are.

kpossibles 
kpossibles
Loc: Wisconsin
Reg: 04-05-18

04-05-18 04:36 PM - Post#15615    

I work for social media for a con with ~10k attendees and we have a contact form on our website with various options on which department on who to email, but it's kinda frustrating to email sometimes, BUT the general customer service email usually should be able to direct you to the right contact person.

If they're not responding to emails, if there's an active social media presence on Facebook etc, then PMing them is the last result if the potential guest REALLY wants to push for it.

VinceA 
Attendee
VinceA
Loc: Bayonne, NJ
Reg: 12-20-06

05-12-18 09:01 PM - Post#15622    

Your attitude is very off-putting. Telling us that without you we'd essentially be nothing, is not the way to make friends and influence people... at least positively.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Recent Topics
AnimeCons TV (Video)

FusionBB™ Version 2.2 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.17 seconds.   Total Queries: 43  
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:09 AM