Username Post: Problems with attendees inviting guests to your con?        (Topic#63)
PatrickD 
Executive Producer
PatrickD
Loc: California
Reg: 12-07-06

12-26-06 02:24 PM - Post#113    

I'm wondering how many people's conventions have had trouble with attendees inviting (intentionally or accidentally) guests to the con.

It seems like this has only become an issue in the past couple years.
-PatrickD
AnimeCons.com Executive Producer
Co-Founder: Anime Boston and Providence Anime Conference
Host of The Chibi Project & Anime Unscripted™

sinfinity 
Attendee
sinfinity
Loc: Chicago, IL
Reg: 12-24-06

12-27-06 01:19 AM - Post#114    
    In response to PatrickD

I'm not directly involved with GR at ACen, but I've noticed just from people that I talk to online that there's for sure a problem with that.

Not exactly the same problem you're talking about, but already for this year there's one fan in particular that I know is going around saying that she got three guests invited, and they're confirmed to be there. Granted, I think the people she's talking about actually are going to be there, but still. Without an official announcement, nothing's for sure, and here she is going to various forums and saying, "Look who I got to come to ACen!!"

...not fun. I can only imagine the headache that creates for GR. Makes me happy I'm in Ops, and I never thought I'd say that.
Asst. Dept. Head, ConOps - Anime Central
.....May 11-13, 2007 ; Rosemont, IL

Co-founder, ConChair - HaganeCon
.....October 3-5, 2008 ; Indianapolis, IN
.....contact me for more info, we'd love your help!

PatrickD 
Executive Producer
PatrickD

12-27-06 04:12 AM - Post#116    
    In response to sinfinity

Well, people who spill the beans are a whole separate matter. I've seen one incident where an invitation was extended to a guest, but things didn't work out and the guest couldn't come...and someone somehow heard about the invite and claimed the guest was coming in a public forum. Although the normal policy is usually to neither confirm nor deny guesses, this person was so annoying and insistant about it that it finally had to be denied just to shut them up.

...and then there are the times that the guest posts their attendance on their personal web site or blog before a press release can be written up or while waiting for confirmation from another guest so that they can be announced at the same time.
-PatrickD

sinfinity 
Attendee
sinfinity
Loc: Chicago, IL
Reg: 12-24-06

12-28-06 02:34 PM - Post#124    
    In response to PatrickD

Yea, I've already seen that this year. ACen hasn't done any guest announcements yet, and there's one guest who said on his blog that he's going to be there then. I guess I'd rather have the guests saying it than random fans, but it's still not a good thing.

I wish there was just some way to keep it 100% secret until announcements are made. If I come up with any such magic, I'll be sure to pass it on. ^_^
Asst. Dept. Head, ConOps - Anime Central
.....May 11-13, 2007 ; Rosemont, IL

Co-founder, ConChair - HaganeCon
.....October 3-5, 2008 ; Indianapolis, IN
.....contact me for more info, we'd love your help!

Lizzard 
I Give Detention
Lizzard
Loc: Right Behind you
Reg: 12-18-06

12-29-06 01:36 AM - Post#134    
    In response to PatrickD

I think a lot of the fans just aren't thinking, and blurt out, "Can you come to BlahBlah Con?" because they're excited. Of course, one would hope that the guests would have the good sense to tell an official invite from a fan invite....
Magical Teacher VA Liaison Lizzard
L I Z Z A R D . N E T
For People With Nothing Better To Do

bekka_alice 
Attendee

Reg: 12-21-06

12-30-06 04:48 AM - Post#143    
    In response to Lizzard

As far as guest common sense goes, unfortunately, some guests are either new to the scene and naive or professional enough they would have no idea what weirdness can come from left field. Fans can really confuse the issue. i.e. "I'm from BlahblahCon, and we'd love to have you come out this year!!!" Translated, that would be "I attend BlahblahCon, and would love to see you there," but that's not what was said, and possibly intentionally so. I've run across this as a problem specifically with that phrasing before. It's extremely embarrassing to have to tell a guest "I'm sorry, I have no idea who that person is, did you receive a letter signed by me or our Guest Services department?" But unfortunately a clear response is the only way to simply clean up a misunderstanding (or misleading) of this kind without further harm done. The other option, to simply accept the guest, does some potential budgetary damage and more so can give the original "inviter" the idea that this is the best way to go about achieving their goals. I have on occasion split the difference and told a guest "I'm so sorry we're full already this year, and I'm terribly sorry someone did something so unkind to you, but you know, I do really admire your work, why don't we discuss the possibility of your visiting us in a future year?" Really, I'm not sure the original fans understand how much humiliation they can be setting their "favorite" star up for when they do this.

Another interesting one I've had is the fan who is a model for an artist and works to convince me that the artist should be a guest, and hey while we're at it, she should be too. Or the fan who tells people they were our Cosplay Guest of Honor when we had no such thing. Tangential behavior to the point of the thread, but related in the sense that all these activities come from the actions of fans who want to increase their own importance and achieve what they want regardless of what is good for the convention. It's not good community behavior.

The larger a con gets, I think the more likely self-centered fan behavior can become a problem, if only because there is a larger number of fans so of course the small percentage of socially inept (or conniving) ones becomes a larger real number. With a smaller con I think it's easier to keep clear to folks who has what rights and responsibilities and people don't tend to assume that they can do whatever they want as long as it isn't specified in the rules. Part of the reason rules keep growing is because of individual instances of pure lack of common sense - and then you can end up with a four-thousand-page rule book and be called the "fascist con." Whee! Or maybe I'm just jaded from being surprised each year with the new and innovative weirdness that sprouts.

Re blog notes: As long as a guest has really officially formally been invited and arrangements confirmed, I don't mind their noting it on their web site - I've had more problems with guests "confirming" but saying we can't announce it until two weeks pre-con so they're really really sure they're totally coming. At least the guest who chirps about it on their blog is enthusiastic and determined to be there. But I wouldn't want to see it posted before we've completed our formal agreement.

As usual, all MHO -
Becca the Alice
Officially in charge of Wonderland and not much else

PatrickD 
Executive Producer
PatrickD

12-30-06 12:18 PM - Post#144    
    In response to bekka_alice

• bekka_alice Said:
Or the fan who tells people they were our Cosplay Guest of Honor when we had no such thing.

That's a common problem I run into on this site. When someone (usually a cosplayer or web comic person) was a guest of honor at one convention, their name will be added to this site. Eventually, they discover their bio and submit an update that lists them as a guest at every convention they've ever attended. It's at that point I have to explain to them that their bio should only list conventions where they were a guest and just because they ran a panel or had an artists' alley table does not mean they were a guest of honor.

With more and more conventions listing cosplay guests of honor, I've started to encounter this more often.

Of course, it's not just cosplayers and web comics. Even voice actors do it too. Usually citing an appearance at Anime Expo, even when they weren't listed as a guest of honor.
-PatrickD

taiki 
Attendee

Reg: 01-14-07

01-14-07 06:26 AM - Post#273    
    In response to PatrickD

I wonder if i should talk to Rich concerning the incident with Steve Bennett.

PatrickD 
Executive Producer
PatrickD

01-14-07 12:41 PM - Post#276    
    In response to taiki

• taiki Said:
I wonder if i should talk to Rich concerning the incident with Steve Bennett.

Huh? You had someone invite Steve without your knowing? ...or are you talking about something completely separate?
-PatrickD

taiki 
Attendee

Reg: 01-14-07

01-14-07 05:27 PM - Post#287    
    In response to PatrickD

Something like that. One of our staffers mentioned to Steve at some con prior that he'd love to see him there, except steve took that as an invite. I don't have the complete story though.

Greggo 
Attendee
Greggo
Loc: Independence, MO
Reg: 02-15-07

02-15-07 08:44 AM - Post#644    
    In response to PatrickD

It's becoming a big problem with Tekkoshocon this year. Overanxious fans have done petitions and Yahoo communities for at least one voice actor guest to get him invited.

The History Follower 
Con Addict
The History Follower
Loc: WV
Reg: 01-02-07

02-15-07 01:07 PM - Post#645    
    In response to Greggo

I know what your talking about Greggo. So did they ever actually ask you about inviteing him or did they just start the petitions? Cause I don't think the people even know how cons work behind the scenes.

PatrickD 
Executive Producer
PatrickD

02-15-07 02:52 PM - Post#646    
    In response to The History Follower

• The History Follower Said:
Cause I don't think the people even know how cons work behind the scenes.

...and then decide to go off and run their own to "do it better".

If I had a dollar for every time that's happened, my lunch would have been free.
-PatrickD

LadyHawke78 
AnimeCons Staff
LadyHawke78
Loc: PA
Reg: 12-20-06

02-15-07 03:35 PM - Post#649    
    In response to PatrickD

• Greggo Said:
It's becoming a big problem with Tekkoshocon this year. Overanxious fans have done petitions and Yahoo communities for at least one voice actor guest to get him invited.

And I'd bet $100 that I could guess which guset this was...

Are any of the guests ever fooled by things like this? (ie: petitions, fans asking them to be a guest at a con etc.) While I recognize that this should not be happening in the first place, don't guests realize that unless they have been extended an 'official' invite by a con's GR staff, then said invite is NOT OFFICIAL?

You'd think that guests would be used to the invite process by now. I cannot see it differing too much among cons.

• PatrickD Said:
...and then decide to go off and run their own to "do it better".

I'm not even going to say a word here...

Greggo 
Attendee
Greggo
Loc: Independence, MO
Reg: 02-15-07

02-15-07 04:25 PM - Post#650    
    In response to LadyHawke78

Aww, that's cute...I get a little star next to my name. Thanks for making a guy feel wanted, Patrick. ^_^

Anyway, yeah, you would think that most congoers would know how the system works by now, but at the same time, there are still a bunch of kids out there who think that all you need to do is get a bunch of e-signatures on a petition and whatever you want will magically happen.

Bryguy 
Con Regular

Loc: Edmonton, Canada
Reg: 01-05-07

02-15-07 05:22 PM - Post#651    
    In response to Greggo

Now if the congoers wanted to do a petition and then submit it to staff of the con (instead of the guest in question) that would be far better. Especially if you could arrange it so only those who are currently registered (or registered in the past) for the convention could add their name to the list.

The problem isn't that much of an issue with Animethon (yet) since we just started with guests a couple of years ago. I think I heard of one incident but it was before I was a director so I'm not sure of the details.

Although since guests are relatively new to us it seems not as many attendees give guest feedback to us as one would expect. Kind of the opposite huh?
Bryan Kennedy
- Animethon 20 Chairman

PatrickD 
Executive Producer
PatrickD

02-15-07 05:35 PM - Post#652    
    In response to Greggo

• Greggo Said:
Aww, that's cute...I get a little star next to my name. Thanks for making a guy feel wanted, Patrick. ^_^

Everyone in the guest database gets one.
-PatrickD

LadyHawke78 
AnimeCons Staff
LadyHawke78
Loc: PA

02-15-07 06:30 PM - Post#653    
    In response to PatrickD

• PatrickD Said:

Whuuuu?
Sorry for going O/T, but does that mean anyone on this forum who is on Guest Relation Staff for their respective con gets a star? (I was wondering what they were for.)

In that case, my Department feels discriminated against! I want something by my name, goshdarnit!!!

PatrickD 
Executive Producer
PatrickD

02-15-07 07:23 PM - Post#654    
    In response to LadyHawke78

• LadyHawke78 Said:
  • PatrickD Said:

Whuuuu?
Sorry for going O/T, but does that mean anyone on this forum who is on Guest Relation Staff for their respective con gets a star?

No, only people listed here.
-PatrickD

aidan2 
Attendee
aidan2
Loc: San Jose California

02-16-07 12:16 AM - Post#657    
    In response to PatrickD

I have an A-next guest badge with my name on it (2 actually), does that count?

muahaha

okay back to topic at hand.
---MTL---
Michael Lee
Director of Technical Operations: Anime Boston 2007
Masquerade Stage Manager/Arena House Manager: Otakon 2007

Zarabadoo 
Attendee

Loc: Denver, CO
Reg: 01-17-07

02-17-07 02:49 AM - Post#687    
    In response to Greggo

One thing we did was to post something on the guest page and in the forums about not inviting guests. They are encouraged to let us know who they would like since we have a special forum for them to post in and easy email communication with the guest services head.

There is no sure fire way to stop it, but you can help minimize it.
--
Webmaster
Nan Desu Kan
http://www.NDKDenver.org

A x e l - F 
Con Addict
A x e l - F
Loc: So. Utah
Reg: 07-08-09

06-28-11 09:46 PM - Post#9186    
    In response to PatrickD

I am glad to say that I haven't yet had an issue with fans inviting guests though I do get more then a few "You should totally have so and so come!"

After a while, I almost want to look and people and say, "If you want so and so to come, then you pay for his plane ticket." Fan simply do not get the logistics behind getting guests. We simply cannot wave our magic wands and get anyone we want to come for the sheer sake of coming.
A x e l - F
Public Relations
Anime SG // Anime Bonanza

PatrickD 
Executive Producer
PatrickD

06-28-11 10:55 PM - Post#9191    
    In response to A x e l - F

• A x e l - F Said:
After a while, I almost want to look and people and say, "If you want so and so to come, then you pay for his plane ticket." Fan simply do not get the logistics behind getting guests. We simply cannot wave our magic wands and get anyone we want to come for the sheer sake of coming.

...not to mention some popular guests who are a pain to convention staff that you simply DON'T WANT to come...even if they came for free.
-PatrickD

A x e l - F 
Con Addict
A x e l - F
Loc: So. Utah
Reg: 07-08-09

06-29-11 12:29 PM - Post#9195    
    In response to PatrickD

Oh believe me. I have a few of those two. Particularly the kind of person that you have a guest once and then they think they are going to be your guest every year after that. =_=
A x e l - F
Public Relations
Anime SG // Anime Bonanza

Proz 
Con Addict
Proz
Loc: Texas
Reg: 08-08-07

06-29-11 07:53 PM - Post#9200    
    In response to A x e l - F

• A x e l - F Said:
Oh believe me. I have a few of those two. Particularly the kind of person that you have a guest once and then they think they are going to be your guest every year after that. =_=

Some don't understand this concept. I've had a couple guests who take it really hard that they aren't invited back.
San Japan - San Antonio, Texas - Convention Chairman

K2theninja 
Attendee
K2theninja
Loc: Helena MT
Reg: 01-19-11

05-25-14 03:55 AM - Post#13851    
    In response to Proz

Being relatively new to the Con staff scene and being part of newer localized Cons, I've had a few opposite experiences, where Artists and newer Voice Actors/Actresses will ask me to help sell them as guests to other bigger Conventions (in order to make a bigger name for themselves on the Convention circuit. It probably doesn't help that I'm a long time family friend with a person of considerable pull in the Convention world (as former PR director of NDK and others). This sort of things has lead to some interesting correspondence with my friend to pass on to the proper Con Staff, in regards to guest invitations and whatnot.

Edited by K2theninja on 05-25-14 03:55 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Recent Topics
AnimeCons.com

AnimeCons.com Home | Conventions | Guests | Members | AnimeCons TV | Articles | Reports

FusionBB™ Version 2.2 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.284 seconds.   Total Queries: 80  
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 02:48 PM