Username Post: For Con Staffers: Vic: Yes or No?        (Topic#1227)
Purity-san 
Con Regular
Purity-san
Loc: San Antonio, TX
Reg: 02-13-07

06-03-09 10:24 PM - Post#4628    

I've been... hearing some stuff, and would just like to get a general opinion.

Would you invite or not invite Vic to you con, and why? Just curious.
View My Convention History
:NINJAWUB: the Shadow Followers: http://tinyurl.com/JMTfans
The ONE and ONLY (and official) J. Michael Tatum Fan Club.

PatrickD 
Executive Producer
PatrickD
Loc: California
Reg: 12-07-06

06-03-09 11:40 PM - Post#4629    
    In response to Purity-san

A lot of conventions obviously invite him. Just look at his list of conventions! http://www.animecons.com/guests/bio.shtml/517/Vic_Mignogna

If anyone's going to say no for some reason, I don't think you'll find them posting about it in public. Reasons for not inviting a guest aren't something conventions usually talk about publicly.
-PatrickD
AnimeCons.com Executive Producer
Co-Founder: Anime Boston and Providence Anime Conference
Host of The Chibi Project & Anime Unscripted™

Gale 
Sacrificial White Mage
Gale
Loc: New England
Reg: 03-08-09

06-04-09 01:29 PM - Post#4630    

He's very popular with the fans, that much I do know. The convention I work GR for gets requests for him from attendees all the time.

I, however, don't have any personal experience with him as a guest to date, so I don't have the right to say anything to that end, but like Patrick said if I had been staff at a convention when he was a guest and had a negative opinion I would not likely post it publicly.

binjder 

Reg: 07-04-09

07-04-09 06:32 PM - Post#4832    
    In response to Gale

hah,
totally. i was watching voiceitlive when he did a live interview on stage at anime expo 2009.

he signed and tossed a book into the audience and a mob broke loose to snatch it.

there might be a video posted on voiceitlive.com pretty soon.

btw, they'll be doing a live interview with crispin later today.

A x e l - F 
Con Addict
A x e l - F
Loc: So. Utah
Reg: 07-08-09

07-08-09 06:09 PM - Post#4855    
    In response to PatrickD

He is extremely popular on account that conventions know they will get a stream of people if he's coming to their con.

We tried to get him to come to ours this year but we couldn't afford to fly him out this time around. T_T
A x e l - F
Public Relations
Anime SG // Anime Bonanza

Ramothhe 
Attendee
Ramothhe
Reg: 12-30-06

08-12-09 07:06 PM - Post#5084    
    In response to A x e l - F

Hello,

This is the Convention Chair for Zenkaikon 2009. I wanted to make a few statements on behalf of our convention. Unfortunately "ForeverPurity", a former Zenkaikon Staff Member, has posted this question in several public forums. Since our convention is listed in her signature, it would make it seem that she speaks for our event, or we have a negative opinion of Mr. Mignoga. On both accounts, that would be false. There was a movement by this former staffer for us to procure this guest for our 2009 convention, but we had no plans nor the funds to request his appearance for this year. We do not have any sort of opinion, positive or negative, about Mr Mignoga because we've never had the opportunity to work with him, although the possibility does, of course exist that we would ask him to be a guest for future conventions.

Thank you,
Matilda Madden, Convention Chair.
Zenkaikon Convention Chair 2005-2011
Cosplay Co Chair 07,
Delaware Anime Society: C.hief E.xecutive O.taku
DE/PA/NJ and beyond!: Check out our PA Chapter!

Edited by Ramothhe on 08-12-09 07:10 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

SuperGeekGirl 
Con Regular
SuperGeekGirl
Loc: St. Louis, MO
Reg: 01-25-09

08-13-09 10:48 AM - Post#5086    
    In response to Ramothhe

Actually, I, personally, have a negative opinion of Vic. We had him as a guest at a convention that I chaired a few years ago, and he was quite needy and, well, kept doing things that drove the staff nuts.

We asked him about doing a non-denominational praise service on Sunday morning because we'd heard that he liked doing these. When we got no answer, we took it off the schedule and replaced it with something else. At the convention, he was angry that it wasn't on the schedule and took the room over to play piano and have his service anyway, blocking out the panel that was supposed to be in there.

Throughout the weekend, he did this several times, took over the room with the piano and played even when panelists stood there in the doorway, waiting for him to finish so that they could start their panels.

I found it incredibly rude.

He also paraded like a rock star every time he went into the hallway, which was just mildly annoying. He also wanted to sleep a good portion of the convention, presumably from jet lag.

Those all sound like small things, but combined they made me a little less likely to want him back. I heard from the other staff that he was generally rude and demanding.

That said, it may have been because it was our first year, and we were horribly disorganized (at least, it felt that way to me), so I'd give him a try. He doesn't do anything awful like drink up your funds or insult people (at least, he didn't at our convention). He's just kind of a prima donna and sleeps a lot.
Con Chair- Kawa Kon http://kawakon.com
Bishie Con http://bishiecon.com
Attending in 2010: EvilleCon, Naka-Kon, Kawa Kon, Steamposium, Costume-Con, Cape Comic Con, Marcon, OMGcon, NatsuCon, AnimeIowa, Archon, Motaku, Bishie Con, and maybe MTAC

PatrickD 
Executive Producer
PatrickD
Loc: California
Reg: 12-07-06

08-13-09 11:04 AM - Post#5088    

I think the hardest part of having Vic at a convention is dealing with his fans...and he has a lot of fans. Some of them are fine, but there is a large percentage of his fans which come off as loud, pushy, and annoying and seem to think that they are in charge when he is around, not the convention staff.
-PatrickD
AnimeCons.com Executive Producer
Co-Founder: Anime Boston and Providence Anime Conference
Host of The Chibi Project & Anime Unscripted™

Vuish 
Attendee

Loc: Brookline, MA
Reg: 07-20-07

08-13-09 08:47 PM - Post#5097    
    In response to PatrickD

• PatrickD Said:
I think the hardest part of having Vic at a convention is dealing with his fans...and he has a lot of fans. Some of them are fine, but there is a large percentage of his fans which come off as loud, pushy, and annoying and seem to think that they are in charge when he is around, not the convention staff.

I have to agree here. Vic had a small table, selling some (of his?) CDs at one convention, and the Risembool Rangers took it upon themselves to oversee this "operation," and even took transactions of the money that should have been in Vic's hands, not theirs.
Vu Tran
North American Guest Liaision
Anime Boston 2017

Ani Ida Con 
Attendee
Ani Ida Con
Loc: Boise, ID
Reg: 08-15-09

08-16-09 12:45 AM - Post#5119    
    In response to Vuish

I've met Vic and I've seen him at two different years of the same con and, my observations on the matter are that he's a cool cat and he's got ALOT wild, crazy and die hard fans.
He's far as I can tell pretty mellow about the way he does things.
Compared to OTHER Voice Actors who have come through the area.
that's my two cents as an attendee of a con.
as a con chair, I don't see much harm in allowing him to sell his wares, and really I'd be inclined to comp him a table.
AS for having him hold sunday services.
I ain't got a reason for him not too.
Some folk might need a little churchin' up (my grandmother would like see me in church more often).
I'd even go as far as putting in the contract.
Also as a con chair, the cons out weigh the pros of having him.

A little foresight and planning will make things go smoothly.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Recent Topics

FusionBB™ Version 2.2 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.196 seconds.   Total Queries: 44  
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 02:32 AM