Username Post: What draws you to a convention?        (Topic#1483)
PatrickD 
Executive Producer
PatrickD
Loc: California
Reg: 12-07-06

11-16-09 06:00 PM - Post#5828    

Select the convention feature that often attracts you to conventions the most.
The second poll asks you to select what matters to you the least.

What draws you to a convention?
Anime Screenings
AMV Contest
Wearing costumes around the con
Masquerade / Costume Contest
Guests of Honor
Dealers' Room / Exhibit Hall
Artists' Alley / Art Show
Fan Panels / Workshops
Manga Library
Dance
Concert
Video Games
RPG/TCG/Miniature Gaming
Karaoke
Game Shows
Charity Auction
Hanging out with friends
Meeting new friends
I don't know / Nothing specific
Other (please comment)
You may choose one option.
Votes accepted from 11-16-09 05:56 PM to 01-01-10 01:00 AM.
View results
You are not allowed to vote in this poll.

What is least important to you in deciding on a convention?
Anime Screenings
AMV Contest
Wearing costumes around the con
Masquerade / Costume Contest
Guests of Honor
Dealers' Room / Exhibit Hall
Artists' Alley / Art Show
Fan Panels / Workshops
Manga Library
Dance
Concert
Video Games
RPG/TCG/Miniature Gaming
Karaoke
Game Shows
Charity Auction
Hanging out with friends
Meeting new friends
I can't decide but like taking polls anyway
Other (please comment)
You may choose one option.
Votes accepted from 11-16-09 06:00 PM to 01-01-10 01:00 AM.
View results
You are not allowed to vote in this poll.
-PatrickD
AnimeCons.com Executive Producer
Co-Founder: Anime Boston and Providence Anime Conference
Host of The Chibi Project & Anime Unscripted™

PatrickD 
Executive Producer
PatrickD

11-17-09 11:55 AM - Post#5846    
    In response to PatrickD

I'm amused that one of the things that draws people to anime cons the least is anime itself.
-PatrickD

A x e l - F 
Con Addict
A x e l - F
Loc: So. Utah
Reg: 07-08-09

11-17-09 12:40 PM - Post#5848    
    In response to PatrickD

I picked Dealers' Room / Exhibit Hall for what attracts me to a convention and I feel mildly evil for choosing Charity Auction for least interesting.

What can I say? I never go to Auctions. >.<
A x e l - F
Public Relations
Anime SG // Anime Bonanza

PrinnyQueenAshers 

Reg: 11-16-09

11-17-09 02:01 PM - Post#5852    
    In response to PatrickD

I picked anime screenings for what least draws me to a con. I guess I figure you have plenty of time all year to watch anime, and I'd rather take advantage of the other events the con has to offer.

As for what draws me to a con, I picked Masquerade/Costume Contest. I love to compete!

mrgetalife 
Attendee

Reg: 06-09-08

11-18-09 01:02 AM - Post#5860    
    In response to PatrickD

Yes the problem with Anime screenings is that most of the anime able to be shown isn't exactly new anymore. As the good old internet changed all that. I mean if the anime hasn't been released yet in the US and its a special screening that's a different story. But that's far and few between.

jesspanda 
Attendee

Reg: 03-20-07

11-20-09 11:35 AM - Post#5899    
    In response to PatrickD

I've collected a bunch of surveys at cons over the last 6 months to a similar effect, our results showed a heavy trend towards socialization/meeting new friends over any events of guests that the convention itself provides. I'm very curious to see how this one turns out!

~Jess~

PatrickD 
Executive Producer
PatrickD

11-20-09 12:47 PM - Post#5900    
    In response to jesspanda

I regret not separating North American guests from Japanese.
-PatrickD

Fuzzy 
Con Regular
Fuzzy
Loc: Orlando
Reg: 12-07-07

11-21-09 02:02 PM - Post#5911    
    In response to PatrickD

Good call on the topic Pat,

I was actually wondering that myself, especially when AnimeIowa this year sold out not only their hotel block, but the entire hotel itself before a single guest had been announced! Obviously, attendees didnt particularly care about which guests were gonna be there. Which made me wonder then, why they were so eager to go.
True wisdom comes from knowing that you know nothing
-Socrates

Thats US DUDE!!
-Ted 'Theodore' Logan

shellysunfish 

Reg: 11-28-09

11-28-09 02:17 PM - Post#5946    
    In response to Fuzzy

what most draws me in is Japanese Guest of Honor.

Edited by shellysunfish on 11-28-09 02:17 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

SuperGeekGirl 
Con Regular
SuperGeekGirl
Loc: St. Louis, MO
Reg: 01-25-09

12-03-09 11:26 PM - Post#5983    
    In response to shellysunfish

No matter what, I'm unlikely to travel more than seven hours for a con unless there's a VERY good reason for me to go. I'm going to Dragon*Con in 2011 even though it's a very long drive from St. Louis and much bigger than any con I've been to because I want to go to PKE Surge. Someday I'll go to SDCC and probably Otakon, but I'm perfectly happy with the many, many conventions we have right here in the Midwest.
Con Chair- Kawa Kon http://kawakon.com
Bishie Con http://bishiecon.com
Attending in 2010: EvilleCon, Naka-Kon, Kawa Kon, Steamposium, Costume-Con, Cape Comic Con, Marcon, OMGcon, NatsuCon, AnimeIowa, Archon, Motaku, Bishie Con, and maybe MTAC

A x e l - F 
Con Addict
A x e l - F

12-04-09 07:40 PM - Post#5999    
    In response to SuperGeekGirl

The most I have traveled to a con is about two hours to Las Vegas. Considering that my mother pays for the hotel room while she goes shopping and visits family there as well as cover gas and food, I'm not one to complain.
A x e l - F
Public Relations

CosmoP Justy 
Attendee

Loc: Tampa Bay, FL
Reg: 05-02-07

12-15-09 01:41 PM - Post#6102    
    In response to mrgetalife

• mrgetalife Said:
Yes the problem with Anime screenings is that most of the anime able to be shown isn't exactly new anymore. As the good old internet changed all that. I mean if the anime hasn't been released yet in the US and its a special screening that's a different story. But that's far and few between.

In recent years, METROCON and Necronomicon (a local general sci-fi con METROCON's original CEO and I have been running anime video rooms for since the late 80s) have screened tons of unlicensed titles, not just the ones we are cleared to by US licensors. I was amazed at how unstartling the Comicon Anime Video Room offerings were when I got a look at them. We've tried to offer a real mix of video offerings both old and new, licensed and unlicensed.

I too am very interested in the final results of this. Some unusual trends already--GOH strong in both? Hmmmmmm.....
Justy
OMNI EXPO Video Room Director

Edited by METROCON on 12-15-09 01:49 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

A x e l - F 
Con Addict
A x e l - F

12-15-09 05:03 PM - Post#6104    
    In response to CosmoP Justy

I have thought about possibly starting to bring into Fan-Subbed work that has yet to be licensed since they do have some very good animes that have not made it to the US. However, my only thing is finding good quality video's that I don't need to download with torrant since I refuse to use it.

However, I think it is something that I should look into in the future. So far, FUNimation has been wonderful with providing us with what we need.
A x e l - F
Public Relations

Kitty4777 

Reg: 04-13-09

12-21-09 02:30 PM - Post#6148    
    In response to PatrickD

I'm almost never interested in who the guests are, and much more interested in A. If I had a good time last year, B. How staff & security treated attendees and dealt with problems, and of course, C. If my friends are actually going to go back!

CosmoP Justy 
Attendee

12-30-09 05:17 PM - Post#6184    
    In response to A x e l - F

• A x e l - F Said:
I have thought about possibly starting to bring into Fan-Subbed work that has yet to be licensed since they do have some very good animes that have not made it to the US. However, my only thing is finding good quality video's that I don't need to download with torrant since I refuse to use it.

However, I think it is something that I should look into in the future. So far, FUNimation has been wonderful with providing us with what we need.

While I respect your decision regarding torrents, it's difficult to screen newer anime that hasn't been licensed yet without them. As we only acquire the material to augment what we show at cons, we feel we're providing a service to fans by screening selected exceptional material. We've gotten wonderful responses from various licensors (Funimation, Manga Entertainment, AnimEigo, ADV, amd Bandai USA come to mind) who've provided a bunch of screeners for us the last few years, too. I'd really like to get permission to show stuff from Bandai and Sony, but haven't had much luck in contacting them. Any help in contacting them would be most appreciated.
Justy
OMNI EXPO Video Room Director

HardGay 

Reg: 12-30-09

12-30-09 07:25 PM - Post#6186    

loool i'm just there for all the hot chicks in sexy costumes!

A x e l - F 
Con Addict
A x e l - F

12-31-09 05:54 PM - Post#6196    

• METROCON Said:
I'd really like to get permission to show stuff from Bandai and Sony, but haven't had much luck in contacting them. Any help in contacting them would be most appreciated.

I've found it fairly easy to contact Bandai and they are wonderful when it comes to giving you permissions. It's simply a pain to find the email to use for them if you don't have it already.

Message me and I'll be happy to give it to you if you still need it.
A x e l - F
Public Relations

Edited by A x e l - F on 12-31-09 05:54 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

jini 
Attendee
jini
Reg: 12-07-09

03-06-10 01:50 AM - Post#6629    

so you were able to show fansubbed videos?

I still feel iffy about screening them, if I get confirmation on the OK on it then it would help my decision very much. ^^;

A x e l - F 
Con Addict
A x e l - F

03-07-10 07:01 PM - Post#6643    
    In response to jini

I myself am a bit iffy about screening them. I have always found it easier to simply get permissions from stuff that is licensed in English. It builds good relations with the anime companies as well keeps oneself out of trouble. Besides, not all people care to read subs. A lot of times the screening room is for people to sit back and relax; not all of them want to read what they are watching.
A x e l - F
Public Relations

SuperGeekGirl 
Con Regular
SuperGeekGirl

03-09-10 11:24 AM - Post#6668    

And if you're nice, they'll give you prizes and screeners. Yes, there are certain shows *Shounen Onmyouji*coughcough* that I prefer to watch fansubbed but still own. At the con, though, I put that aside to make FUNimation happy and show the crappy Geneon subs they bought.

I've noticed even some of the big cons showing fansubs and torrents of unreleased shows. How are they getting away with that?
Attending in 2010: EvilleCon, Naka-Kon, Kawa Kon, Steamposium, Costume-Con, Cape Comic Con, Marcon, OMGcon, NatsuCon, AnimeIowa, Archon, Motaku, Bishie Con, and maybe MTAC

Edited by SuperGeekGirl on 03-09-10 11:25 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

EllyStar 
New England Con Whore
EllyStar
Loc: Massachusetts
Reg: 06-24-07

03-09-10 12:51 PM - Post#6671    
    In response to SuperGeekGirl

• SuperGeekGirl Said:
I've noticed even some of the big cons showing fansubs and torrents of unreleased shows. How are they getting away with that?

Which cons and/or shows? I can imagine that being a problem because big cons are not only sponsored by anime companies, but they also often have representation at the con.
Elizabeth: Website and Podcast Writer
My Conventions

PatrickD 
Executive Producer
PatrickD

03-09-10 02:07 PM - Post#6672    
    In response to EllyStar

• stardust462 Said:
  • SuperGeekGirl Said:

Which cons and/or shows? I can imagine that being a problem because big cons are not only sponsored by anime companies, but they also often have representation at the con.

Yeah, I know of at least one convention that two companies wouldn't send industry reps to because they did not enforce a bootleg policy in the dealers' room and they screened fansubs in video rooms. The convention is aware of it and doesn't want to stop showing fansubs.

There are lots of smaller cons (with attendance numbers in the hundreds) that get away with it because the companies aren't aware, but I'd be surprised if any big cons got away with more than some sort of unpublicized fansub screening.
-PatrickD

EllyStar 
New England Con Whore
EllyStar
Loc: Massachusetts
Reg: 06-24-07

03-09-10 04:46 PM - Post#6676    
    In response to PatrickD

• PatrickD Said:
Yeah, I know of at least one convention that two companies wouldn't send industry reps to because they did not enforce a bootleg policy in the dealers' room and they screened fansubs in video rooms. The convention is aware of it and doesn't want to stop showing fansubs.

Yeah, I know what con you're talking about. I wonder if there are any bigger cons (I'm thinking top 10 in attendance) that do that too.
Elizabeth: Website and Podcast Writer
My Conventions

A x e l - F 
Con Addict
A x e l - F

03-12-10 05:25 PM - Post#6702    
    In response to PatrickD

I've seen smaller cons in the area who supposedly show fansubs and have had bootleggers dealers in the past. Personally, I like to run things by the book, and found that like SuperGeekGirl said, if you are nice to the big companies like FUNimation, they tend to send you prizes and other nifty goodies. I would rather make friends with the people in the industry that can lift you up when they like you but tear you down when you cross them.

StarDust: I would imagine that bigger cons have become bigger because they follow the rules and make happy with the Anime Companies.
A x e l - F
Public Relations

Proz 
Con Addict
Proz
Loc: Texas
Reg: 08-08-07

03-13-10 10:39 AM - Post#6704    
    In response to EllyStar

I'm not aware of any 10 top conventions but I am aware of a convention in Funi's backyard that has several fansub video rooms and they even promote them in the program book. While Funi reps have said they aren't happy about this, they don't make it a deal-breaker to not appear at the convention since it is an easy money-making opportunity in being there.
San Japan - San Antonio, Texas - Convention Chairman

jini 
Attendee
jini

03-15-10 10:38 AM - Post#6707    

Yeah I was still iffy about screening fansubs.
Decided to work with Crunchyroll instead if I want to show the new shows. (funimation takes forever to get back to me /:)

A x e l - F 
Con Addict
A x e l - F

03-22-10 12:46 PM - Post#6723    
    In response to jini

Crunchyroll? Who are they? I've never heard of them but I'm interested if they are good people to work with.

FUNimation has always been good about working with us, but perhaps that is because I happen to get in contact with the right people over there. They have been a dream in every way at our past con and even sent us extra stuff and made sure the shipment was on time.
A x e l - F
Public Relations

SuperGeekGirl 
Con Regular
SuperGeekGirl

03-22-10 08:08 PM - Post#6731    
    In response to EllyStar

• stardust462 Said:
  • SuperGeekGirl Said:

Gah! I didn't answer this! It was Anime Central a few years back when they showed a fan sub version of Rurouni Kenshin rather than the official release. I thought it was a little weird, to be honest (and the fansubber's name was on it and everything). I'm not sure if they do it anymore.

There are some smaller "regional" cons I've seen do it with attendance in the low thousands as well.

We were accused of doing it a few years ago, but we were showing the disc we got straight from Animeigo, who had licensed whatever the show was, so unless Animeigo was giving us fansubs...

jini 
Attendee
jini

03-23-10 12:30 PM - Post#6736    

I managed to get Funimation to get back to me
I'm probably going to show both.

Crunchyroll is an online streaming site for anime and asian dramas.
They are allowed officially to stream animes on their site and pretty much charge a fee for new episodes and HQ ver.
They'll let you show their anime as long as you help promote them. One good thing about Crunchyroll is that you will be able to show the newly released animes.
I can give you their email if you're interested.
http://www.crunchyroll.com/

Edited by jini on 03-23-10 12:33 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

A x e l - F 
Con Addict
A x e l - F

03-29-10 01:11 PM - Post#6757    
    In response to jini

Thankies for the offer but I think we will just keep going straight to the companies like we have been doing. I personally like to take the extra time and get all the permission paper work in and whatnot then have to worry about weather or not I will anger the anime gods. >.<

Much thanks to you for the offer tho. I will check out their website for my own in-home anime viewing needs.
A x e l - F
Public Relations

Edited by A x e l - F on 03-29-10 01:11 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

CosmoP Justy 
Attendee

04-22-10 10:07 PM - Post#6904    

We only show fansubs of titles that are not yet licensed or are no longer licensed by any U.S. companies. In the past, we've sometimes had to make last minute changes due to titles being licensed just before the con took place. As long as the titles aren't anyone's property, the companies can't really complain.

A x e l - F 
Con Addict
A x e l - F

04-23-10 04:40 PM - Post#6911    

That is understandable. I have though about bringing in fansubs at one point but with things being licensed so quickly, I like to run what is already out with permissions. We also have quite a few guests who just like to mellow out in the screening room and tend to not want to read what they are watching.

Thanks for the info though. That's good to know.
A x e l - F
Public Relations

some guy 
Attendee

Reg: 07-27-10

10-31-10 10:29 PM - Post#7869    

the thing that draws me the most is...being within at nost 2 hours driving range from my town (I dont have the time or money to fly or drive 4 hours to a con & pay for a room. also none of my friends do this, so I have no help.)

PLCseek 

Reg: 11-14-10

11-14-10 05:17 AM - Post#7926    
    In response to PatrickD

Amazing commercials like this one. O__O

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwyML9wEDew

I'm going.

PatrickD 
Executive Producer
PatrickD

11-14-10 11:36 AM - Post#7928    
    In response to PLCseek

OH MY GOD!

If I was ever considering going to that con, that ad would put and end to that. Fortunately, I'm assuming it never aired on TV. (It's the wrong length for a TV commercial.)

Between that and Sakura-Con's Garurumesh ad from a couple years back, I'm starting to think that it's impossible to make a GOOD ad. Maybe our podcast should challenge people.
-PatrickD

PLCseek 

Reg: 11-14-10

11-14-10 06:23 PM - Post#7929    
    In response to PatrickD

• PatrickD Said:
OH MY GOD!

If I was ever considering going to that con, that ad would put and end to that. Fortunately, I'm assuming it never aired on TV. (It's the wrong length for a TV commercial.)

Between that and Sakura-Con's Garurumesh ad from a couple years back, I'm starting to think that it's impossible to make a GOOD ad. Maybe our podcast should challenge people.

Bad parody of awful commercial = amazing! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ3oHpup-pk)

Proz 
Con Addict
Proz
Loc: Texas
Reg: 08-08-07

11-14-10 06:47 PM - Post#7930    
    In response to PLCseek

This commercial has taken facepalming to a new level.
San Japan - San Antonio, Texas - Convention Chairman

Crazy Flower 
Token Black Chick
Crazy Flower
Loc: Beantown in the Pan
Reg: 06-02-07

11-14-10 09:52 PM - Post#7931    
    In response to PLCseek

WOW.... I'm speechless! And I thought that the New England Fan Experience commercials couldn't be topped.

My skull has cracked from the intense face-palming.

Blaxel 
Attendee
Blaxel
Loc: Richmond, Va
Reg: 09-21-07

06-30-11 09:16 PM - Post#9205    
    In response to PatrickD

What makes me goes to cons? I think the location for one if its near by me or in the next state i love it. Second i do ask my friends what they think of the con it does influence my judgment in going or not. Im a photographer so i love going to cons to take photos and get my work out there. And finally i love cosplaying and i dont plan on stoping anytime soon:D
Looking for cosplay photos? go to my gallery:D
https://picasaweb.google.com/116003591765305040870

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Recent Topics

FusionBB™ Version 2.2 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 1.458 seconds.   Total Queries: 106  
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 04:46 AM