Article by PatrickD    (01-12-10 07:13 PM)
Anime News Network reported yesterday that four out of seven of Anime Expo's division heads have resigned due to disputes with the Board of Directors of the convention's parent organization, the Society for the Promotion of Japanese Animation. Specifically, questions have been raised about the organization's new CEO, Michael Lattanzio. It was reported that "over 80%" of the convention's staff may also resign which would result in the departure of over 400 staff members.

Among the complaints against Lattanzio are the termination of SPJA's contract with its marketing firm, BAM! Marketing, Publicity, & Promotions, numerous travel expenses, and alleged disparaging comments made about volunteers.

The full article can be read on Anime News Network.

Username Comments
SuperGeekGirl 
Con Regular
SuperGeekGirl
Loc: St. Louis, MO
Reg: 01-25-09

01-12-10 11:42 PM - Post#6293    
    In response to PatrickD

I hate to say it, but it's kind of a relief to see that large conventions can have these sorts of problems too. I do hope they can get things back together, but I at least feel like my problems were small compared to this.
Con Chair- Kawa Kon http://kawakon.com
Bishie Con http://bishiecon.com
Attending in 2010: EvilleCon, Naka-Kon, Kawa Kon, Steamposium, Costume-Con, Cape Comic Con, Marcon, OMGcon, NatsuCon, AnimeIowa, Archon, Motaku, Bishie Con, and maybe MTAC

PatrickD 
Executive Producer
PatrickD
Loc: California
Reg: 12-07-06

01-13-10 12:56 AM - Post#6295    
    In response to SuperGeekGirl

Yeah. I'm not picking sides (except to say that I've never been a fan of their PR firm.) It's going to hurt the convention no matter what happens.

It will be interesting to see if it affects attendance and how much. I know that if I was thinking about flying out there again this year, I'd probably start considering other options right about now.
-PatrickD
AnimeCons.com Executive Producer
Co-Founder: Anime Boston and Providence Anime Conference
Host of The Chibi Project & Anime Unscripted™

rednecko 
Con Regular

Loc: Rednecksville, USA
Reg: 01-02-07

01-13-10 12:36 PM - Post#6297    
    In response to PatrickD

I don't think they will have 80% of their staff quit. What will happen is that the new Staff heads won't contact them to see if they are coming back? They won't know they are welcomed and they will just not show up.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Recent Topics

FusionBB™ Version 2.2 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.155 seconds.   Total Queries: 30  
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:44 AM