Username Post: This is why Anime Cons are strict about weapons        (Topic#2160)
EllyStar 
New England Con Whore
EllyStar
Loc: Massachusetts
Reg: 06-24-07

04-19-11 11:25 AM - Post#8745    

http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_n ews/2011/04/burlington_ma ll.html

The Burlington Mall up here in Massachusetts is currently evacuated because someone saw a man with a shot gun. Turns out, it was an umbrella.

Imagine if you knew nothing at all about anime conventions and cosplay/costuming. You're at the Prudential Mall in Boston, which is connected to the Hynes Convention Center, where AB is and where many of the attendees get lunch. You see someone with a gun. Seriously, what would you think? What will security officers think?

Common sense, people. It's a pretty awesome thing.
Elizabeth: Website and Podcast Writer
My Conventions

meauho 
Con Addict
meauho
Loc: Houston(ish), Tx
Reg: 04-24-08

04-19-11 12:17 PM - Post#8747    
    In response to EllyStar

Story time:

Every cop hired by one convention (in Texas) ended up surrounding, and ordering a cosplayer to the floor. He was dressed in tactical gear (including real body armor) and had over a dozen weapons on him - including 4 pistols, a sawed-off shotgun, 2 fully automatic MP-5s, and about 10 pounds of C4.

He surrendered peacefully (once he realized they were real cops, not cosplayers, and the guns they were pointing at him were real, and loaded).

He had built the weapons his self - to look exactly like the stuff he had used in Iraq on his first tour. He had just gotten back from his 3rd tour (had his orders in his pockets), been transferred to Texas, and decided to go to an anime convention. The cops did let him go -- after we taped the barrels and handles with orange tape.

However, for a few moments there, any wrong move on his part and the cops were ready to shoot.
Joshua Andrade

Bad Wolf Trading

Nigoki 
Obsessed with robots
Nigoki
Reg: 02-25-09

04-19-11 02:09 PM - Post#8751    
    In response to EllyStar

Common sense is less and less common. The better term is "reality skills".
-Doug Wilder
Resident Mecha fanboy of AnimeCons TV!

Gale 
Sacrificial White Mage
Gale
Loc: New England
Reg: 03-08-09

04-25-11 02:45 PM - Post#8780    
    In response to Nigoki

One of the scariest moments I ever had staffing a con was when somebody found a real bullet in one of the hallways. All department heads were rounded up and sent off to look for anything that looked like a real gun. We locked down the hallway where the bullet had been found, suspended all panels in said hall, and sent everyone through a bag check until we found the source. A cosplayer had used real bullets in his ammo clip on his costume and one had fallen out. How he thought this was OK is beyond any of us.

some guy 
Attendee

Reg: 07-27-10

05-11-11 07:07 PM - Post#8882    
    In response to Gale

• Gale Said:
One of the scariest moments I ever had staffing a con was when somebody found a real bullet in one of the hallways. All department heads were rounded up and sent off to look for anything that looked like a real gun. We locked down the hallway where the bullet had been found, suspended all panels in said hall, and sent everyone through a bag check until we found the source. A cosplayer had used real bullets in his ammo clip on his costume and one had fallen out. How he thought this was OK is beyond any of us.

...you guys kicked the guy out, right?

Gale 
Sacrificial White Mage
Gale
Loc: New England
Reg: 03-08-09

05-20-11 09:59 AM - Post#8941    
    In response to some guy

Banned. For LIFE.

A x e l - F 
Con Addict
A x e l - F
Loc: So. Utah
Reg: 07-08-09

06-16-11 11:56 AM - Post#9111    
    In response to Nigoki

• Nigoki Said:
Common sense is less and less common. The better term is "reality skills".

This is very true. I have found in my past experiences that if you don't set clear rules, then you have to expect for anything to happen. We have a term at our cons that "if it's real, don't bring it."

Personally, I don't really see the problem with Yaoi Paddles. However, last thing I need is deranged fan girls spanking poor boys in the hallways as they walk by...okay I can see why most places ban them now. =_=
A x e l - F
Public Relations
Anime SG // Anime Bonanza

Blaxel 
Attendee
Blaxel
Loc: Richmond, Va
Reg: 09-21-07

06-30-11 09:13 PM - Post#9204    
    In response to EllyStar

I agree with this post 100% you shouldnt bring a real gun, sword, baton, etc to a con if your a outsider and you see it your natural instinct would be to call the police.
Looking for cosplay photos? go to my gallery:D
https://picasaweb.google.com/116003591765305040870

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Recent Topics

FusionBB™ Version 2.2 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.41 seconds.   Total Queries: 39  
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 09:49 AM