Article by PatrickD    (03-17-07 09:18 AM)
Otakon 2007 has opened pre-registration for their July convention. Unlike the previous two years, there is no attendance cap this year. Their staff feels that the addition of the 1st Mariner Arena as well as increases in staff and hired personnel no longer make an attendance cap a necessity.

Otakon 2005 had an attendance cap of 22,000 people that was reached the Saturday of the convention. Otakon 2006 had an attendance cap of 25,000 people, but the convention attendance only increased to 22,302 people -- well below the cap.

Otakon 2007's membership rate is $50 before June 30th. After that, the rate is $60 until July 11th. Memberships will also be $60 at the door. More information about Otakon's registration process can be found on their web site.

Username Comments
PatrickD 
Executive Producer
PatrickD
Loc: California
Reg: 12-07-06

03-17-07 09:58 AM - Post#796    
    In response to PatrickD

It will be interesting to see what Otakon 2007's attendance is like this year. If it jumps a lot, then the attendance cap probably scared people away. If it doesn't jump, then the previous year's cap probably wasn't a factor in people deciding to go or not and would seem to indicate that people had other reasons for not going to Otakon last year.

Of course, outside factors may come into play here as well...such as the guest lineup, the earlier date, or even weather.
-PatrickD
AnimeCons.com Executive Producer
Co-Founder: Anime Boston and Providence Anime Conference
Host of The Chibi Project & Anime Unscripted™

rednecko 
Con Regular

Loc: Rednecksville, USA
Reg: 01-02-07

03-17-07 10:02 AM - Post#797    
    In response to PatrickD

I think the hotel situation is what kept Otakon from growing last year. I could be wrong about that, though. The earlier date may help or hurt especially with Anime Next being two weeks before and Connecticon (more gaming, but with significant anime programming) being the week before.

PatrickD 
Executive Producer
PatrickD
Loc: California
Reg: 12-07-06

03-17-07 06:39 PM - Post#798    
    In response to rednecko

• rednecko Said:
I think the hotel situation is what kept Otakon from growing last year. I could be wrong about that, though.

Actually, you make a good point. The cheap hotels fill instantly. The more expensive ones fill quickly too. There's only so many people you can cram into Inner Harbor hotels...especially if there's a home game at Camden Yards.

• rednecko Said:
The earlier date may help or hurt especially with Anime Next being two weeks before and Connecticon (more gaming, but with significant anime programming) being the week before.

I think there are a lot of people that can't afford to go to two (or all three) and may need to pick one. Those people may go to Otakon if all their friends go there, but they may decide to just hit up AnimeNext or ConnectiCon if they can't get a good rate in Baltimore.

For me, it's more of an issue of vacation time. I really can't take the necessary days off three weeks in a row...so I'll just be at ConnectiCon. It's closest to me and a lot of my friends will be there. (Most have stopped going to Otakon for various reasons.)

With both AnimeNext and ConnectiCon being later and Otakon being earlier, I'm not really sure what's going to happen to attendance of all three. I'll have to think about it, but I seriously doubt that all three would end up seeing large increases.
-PatrickD
AnimeCons.com Executive Producer
Co-Founder: Anime Boston and Providence Anime Conference
Host of The Chibi Project & Anime Unscripted™

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Recent Topics

FusionBB™ Version 2.2 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.133 seconds.   Total Queries: 30  
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:34 PM