Username Post: First Convention for me        (Topic#2941)
HopelesslyDope 

Reg: 07-23-13

07-23-13 02:43 AM - Post#12640    

What's up everyone, This saturday will be my very first anime convention.

I'm pretty nervous about attending, but everyone says to not be worried.

Well, here's my thing, I'm a filmmaker & I wouldn't know how to approach people at the convention, how would I even start off?

I was thinking of saying "Hey, I'm doing a film for the convention, can you strike a pose for me"

basically, how would I ask people to pose for a video, or do their stance, basically they'll be in character, so they have to do what their character does, i hope.

Open to all opinions & tips

Thank you in advance.

PatrickD 
Executive Producer
PatrickD
Loc: California
Reg: 12-07-06

07-23-13 12:28 PM - Post#12641    
    In response to HopelesslyDope

• HopelesslyDope Said:
Well, here's my thing, I'm a filmmaker & I wouldn't know how to approach people at the convention, how would I even start off?

I was thinking of saying "Hey, I'm doing a film for the convention, can you strike a pose for me"

Photos and video are two different beasts when it comes to cosplay. As a cosplayer, when a photographer asks for my photo, I strike a pose and hold it until they say they've got it...or until I lose patience. (I'm a pretty patient person, but if I'm trying to get somewhere and you're just learning to use your camera and need to change the battery and need to clear out space on your memory card and you swear you've got another memory card somewhere... Well, my patience only lasts SO long.)

For video, assuming I'm told it's video (because quite often I'm not and only realize it myself when someone starts moving the camera), I'll do a moving pose. If the person is gracious enough to tell me it's video ahead of time, I can start with the moving pose rather than have to transition into it from a still pose. For example, if I have a sword, I'll move it like I'm ready to attack. If I'm The Doctor, I'll play with the sonic screwdriver. Stuff like that. I assume this stuff ends up in some kind of YouTube video.

However, you used the word "film". That's where things get tricky. If you're doing something more professional than just throwing video up on YouTube or even a podcast or video con report and actually working on a film, then you need to worry about release forms and all that legal red tape. If someone asked me to be in their film, even if it was just for a quick pose, I'd still want to know what the film was before I posed. There have been too many tales lately of people posing for what they assumed was one thing and discovered later was another.

The key is to be open, honest, and forthcoming with information.

• HopelesslyDope Said:
basically, how would I ask people to pose for a video, or do their stance, basically they'll be in character, so they have to do what their character does, i hope.

It depends what you're looking for. If you want to see people improvise some poses, tell them that. If you want people to do specific things, tell them. Just make sure you tell people what you're looking for before you actually start shooting.
-PatrickD
AnimeCons.com Executive Producer
Co-Founder: Anime Boston and Providence Anime Conference
Host of The Chibi Project & Anime Unscripted™

HopelesslyDope 

Reg: 07-23-13

07-24-13 05:23 AM - Post#12642    
    In response to PatrickD

Thank you for the reply, it was gracious to hear from someone with helpful advice.

The film is for the event as well as for youtube & vimeo.

As for release forms, I don't have that at all, I do tell them what the film is for & where they can find the film once it's uploaded.

Once again, thank you for the reply.

I'll be sure to tell people I'm shooting a video for the event.

Also, I think I've figures my question for them out.

I'll simply say "I'm doing a video for this event & I was wondering if you could do a moving pose for me"

PatrickD 
Executive Producer
PatrickD
Loc: California
Reg: 12-07-06

07-24-13 07:36 PM - Post#12644    

• HopelesslyDope Said:
I'll simply say "I'm doing a video for this event & I was wondering if you could do a moving pose for me"

Yeah, that should be fine. The fact you're doing it for the event you're at should make people quite receptive to the idea.
-PatrickD
AnimeCons.com Executive Producer
Co-Founder: Anime Boston and Providence Anime Conference
Host of The Chibi Project & Anime Unscripted™

Fuzzy 
Con Regular
Fuzzy
Loc: Orlando
Reg: 12-07-07

07-25-13 09:25 PM - Post#12651    

Patrick pretty much covered all the bases (as he usually does), just outta curiousity, which convention is this for? Are you an official videographer for the con, or is this just an independent personal project?
True wisdom comes from knowing that you know nothing
-Socrates

Thats US DUDE!!
-Ted 'Theodore' Logan

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Recent Topics

FusionBB™ Version 2.2 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.166 seconds.   Total Queries: 33  
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 08:25 AM