Article by PatrickD    (11-13-07 04:24 PM)
Steve Pearl, the moderator of the rec.arts.anime.info newsgroup from its inception in 1993 until 2001, has passed away over the weekend. The rec.arts.anime newsgroups have been pivotal areas for discussion and news within the online English-speaking anime fandom since before the creation of the modern web browser. Pearl was also the author of the rec.arts.anime.misc list of frequently asked questions and the Anime/Manga Convention Guide. In 1992, he co-founded the Atlantic Anime Alliance, a social group of anime fans in the New York City area. He attended various Northeast anime conventions, including every Otakon from 1994 to 2000, as a fan guest of honor, and for a time, worked as a consultant for NuTech Digital.

In 1995, former Gainax president Toshio Okada -- who is known in Japan as the Otaking, after the title of the highest level of otaku in Gainax's Otaku no Video anime -- met Pearl at the Anime East convention. Okada then bestowed on him the title of the "American Otaking."

Pearl had been suffering from diabetes for a number of years, and recently underwent a leg amputation.

Username Comments
SyFyCon 
Con Regular

Reg: 12-27-06

11-14-07 02:46 AM - Post#1672    
    In response to PatrickD

Such sad news. He was one of the original anime fans of the Internet age, and was a big-time fan for years before that. His contributions to the anime community cannot be overstated.

PatrickD 
Executive Producer
PatrickD
Loc: California
Reg: 12-07-06

11-14-07 02:53 PM - Post#1673    
    In response to PatrickD

In researching information on a lot of the older conventions listed on this site, I referenced Steve's work heavily. I regret I never had a chance to sit down and talk with him about conventions...and sadly never will.
-PatrickD
AnimeCons.com Executive Producer
Co-Founder: Anime Boston and Providence Anime Conference
Host of The Chibi Project & Anime Unscripted™

Crazy Flower 
Token Black Chick
Crazy Flower
Loc: Beantown in the Pan
Reg: 06-02-07

11-14-07 03:34 PM - Post#1674    
    In response to PatrickD

I remember hearing about his leg amputation. I offer my condolences.

SyFyCon 
Con Regular

Reg: 12-27-06

11-15-07 02:33 AM - Post#1684    
    In response to PatrickD

Steve and I both believed in DVD releases. Most people don't even realize there was heavy, heavy initial resistance by anime studios in this country to place anime onto DVD. Right Stuf management was so opposed to it, Jeff Thompson asked me collect at least 200 petition signatures to even get Tylor considered for a DVD release. Thankfully, the petition got 500 signees in less than 2 weeks and we had our DVD release. Steve was such a driving force for DVD adoption. At Katsucon 2000, he made this bold statement: "I don't consider a title released until it's on DVD.". This was all the way back in 2000, when the sub/dub wars, due to the rising costs of having 2 VHS tapes (one subbed, one dubbed), was peaking. Tragically, both have passed away and it really tears me apart that we're losing so much of the Old Guard so prematurely.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Recent Topics

FusionBB™ Version 2.2 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.253 seconds.   Total Queries: 32  
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 03:43 AM