Username Post: PA artcile - How to NOT run an anime convention        (Topic#812)
Simon Young 
Con Regular

Loc: Portland, OR
Reg: 07-13-07

07-25-08 03:24 PM - Post#2858    

Has anyone else picked up a copy of Protoculture Addicts? There's some great advice that every first year convention should heed in the article, "How to Not Run an Anime Convention."

As an industry guest myself, I've noticed many of the things to be true - especially the case files regarding how guests are treated at conventions.

Its a good (yet kind of depressing) read.
www.myspace.com/theslants
www.youtube.com/slantsvideos
www.theslants.com
www.laststoptokyo.com

PatrickD 
Executive Producer
PatrickD
Loc: California
Reg: 12-07-06

07-25-08 04:04 PM - Post#2861    
    In response to Simon Young

Yeah, Trisha had a bunch of questions for me for that article. (Some of which required a few special database queries to find the numbers she was looking for.) I also talked to Greg Ayres at length on the phone about what he and other guests would be saying in the article.

With all the information, I think the article could easily have been five times the size. It's a good read, but still only scratches the surface.
-PatrickD
AnimeCons.com Executive Producer
Co-Founder: Anime Boston and Providence Anime Conference
Host of The Chibi Project & Anime Unscripted™

Ramothhe 
Attendee
Ramothhe
Reg: 12-30-06

07-26-08 12:26 AM - Post#2863    
    In response to PatrickD

Yeah, I read it. Also I was interviewed for it...
Zenkaikon Convention Chair 2005-2011
Cosplay Co Chair 07,
Delaware Anime Society: C.hief E.xecutive O.taku
DE/PA/NJ and beyond!: Check out our PA Chapter!

Bryguy 
Con Regular

Loc: Edmonton, Canada
Reg: 01-05-07

07-26-08 01:43 AM - Post#2866    
    In response to Ramothhe

It sounds like the sort of article I'd like to read and then force certain people other to read; if that were possible.

Shockingly enough I've never noticed PA on sale anywhere but that's probably more because I wasn't looking for it.
Bryan Kennedy
- Animethon 20 Chairman

Simon Young 
Con Regular

07-27-08 06:36 AM - Post#2874    
    In response to Bryguy

• Bryguy Said:
It sounds like the sort of article I'd like to read and then force certain people other to read; if that were possible.

Shockingly enough I've never noticed PA on sale anywhere but that's probably more because I wasn't looking for it.

I think its sort of thing that many, many should read - especially before jumping into convention (either starting a first year con or even taking on a staff position).

I just heard about the article through the staff at San Japan and Ikkicon, then picked it up at a dealer's table at a convention.
www.theslants.com
www.laststoptokyo.com

The History Follower 
Con Addict
The History Follower
Loc: WV
Reg: 01-02-07

07-27-08 07:11 PM - Post#2876    
    In response to Simon Young

I should really get it. I was thinkig about running a panel called 'how not to run an anime convention.'

PatrickD 
Executive Producer
PatrickD

07-27-08 07:31 PM - Post#2877    
    In response to The History Follower

• The History Follower Said:
I should really get it. I was thinkig about running a panel called 'how not to run an anime convention.'

That's pretty much the gist of my "All About Anime Cons" panel. In telling people all about anime conventions, I tell them:
1) Don't even think about it until you've staffed some other cons to see how they're really run behind the scenes.
2) If you don't like a convention, you should staff it to make it better rather than trying to make a new con to compete against it.
3) Don't run an anime convention if you still want to have any sort of active social life outside of anime fandom.
4) You will not get rich running an anime con. Just look at some of the ones that tried being for profit and failed horribly.
...and many other points. I cover the basics of how to do it right...selecting dates and locations, lawyers, accounting, and even choosing a name...but I also cover what often goes wrong and what they shouldn't ever do.

I'll be doing this panel at San Japan in two weeks. I'll be doing it again at Providence Anime Conference in October. As always, any current or former convention chairs at the convention are welcome to join the panel and offer their experience too.
-PatrickD

Mailechan 
Attendee

Loc: Washington, DC
Reg: 03-21-08

07-28-08 09:14 AM - Post#2881    
    In response to PatrickD

• In reply to:
3) Don't run an anime convention if you still want to have any sort of active social life outside of anime fandom.

This is so, so true.
Mailechan
Staff Support - Otakon
Guest Relations (pre-con planning) - Otakon
Art Show - Katsucon
Art Show - AnimeUSA
National Cherry Blossom Festival Liaison - Otakorp, Inc.
Director of set-up and on-site hotel liaison - Darkover Grand Council

Fedora 
Con Regular
Fedora
Loc: Suffolk UK & NH USA
Reg: 12-22-06

07-29-08 06:48 AM - Post#2886    
    In response to PatrickD

• PatrickD Said:
  • The History Follower Said:

That's pretty much the gist of my "All About Anime Cons" panel. In telling people all about anime conventions, I tell them:
1) Don't even think about it until you've staffed some other cons to see how they're really run behind the scenes.
2) If you don't like a convention, you should staff it to make it better rather than trying to make a new con to compete against it.
4) You will not get rich running an anime con. Just look at some of the ones that tried being for profit and failed horribly.
...and many other points. I cover the basics of how to do it right...selecting dates and locations, lawyers, accounting, and even choosing a name...but I also cover what often goes wrong and what they shouldn't ever do.

I'll be doing this panel at San Japan in two weeks. I'll be doing it again at Providence Anime Conference in October. As always, any current or former convention chairs at the convention are welcome to join the panel and offer their experience too.

You should write a book Pat you could make a mint.
James Fedora
Cosplay Media and US/UK Medic

Staff Anime Boston 03,06,07,08,09
Chief of Security Connecticon 03
Co founder of Anime South
Offcial Videographer London Cosplay Ball 08
Jack of All Trades & Medic Kitacon UK 09

www.otakupunch.com
Facebook- Otaku Punch Pictures & Media

PatrickD 
Executive Producer
PatrickD

07-29-08 01:18 PM - Post#2890    
    In response to Fedora

• Fedora Said:
You should write a book Pat you could make a mint.

...and my panel also mentions how nobody gets rich off of anime cons. (Therefore, it is quite impossible for me to make a mint.)
-PatrickD

MomoCon Liaison 
Con Addict

Reg: 01-23-07

07-29-08 10:38 PM - Post#2894    
    In response to Mailechan

• Mailechan Said:
  • In reply to:

This is so, so true.

I completely disagree. Time management skills and technology can overcome that obstacle. I know plenty of the staffers that do so including myself.

Back on topic, I'm going to have to grab me a copy next time I hit the comic shop.

Fedora 
Con Regular
Fedora

07-30-08 04:06 AM - Post#2895    
    In response to MomoCon Liaison

• MomoCon Liaison Said:
  • Mailechan Said:
  • In reply to:

This is so, so true.

I completely disagree. Time management skills and technology can overcome that obstacle. I know plenty of the staffers that do so including myself.

Back on topic, I'm going to have to grab me a copy next time I hit the comic shop.

In all honesty it depends on the person and the amount of time and effort they put into the event.

Like I have said before people dont plan to fail they fail to plan. The people that plan right and work hard will find that there convention/event will be just fine.
James Fedora

www.otakupunch.com

SyFyCon 
Con Regular

Reg: 12-27-06

07-30-08 01:45 PM - Post#2897    
    In response to Fedora

• Fedora Said:
  • MomoCon Liaison Said:
  • Mailechan Said:
  • In reply to:

This is so, so true.

In all honesty it depends on the person and the amount of time and effort they put into the event.

Like I have said before people dont plan to fail they fail to plan. The people that plan right and work hard will find that there convention/event will be just fine.

I have no social life. Of course, I'd like to blame the convention for that.

Simon Young 
Con Regular

07-30-08 04:17 PM - Post#2898    
    In response to SyFyCon

• Anime South Said:

Do you blame the convention or do you blame the anime? (J/K)

I don't run any convention, I occassinoally help or provide consulting for a few, but I do find it hard to have any life outside the con world myself. It's sort of like that with the pursuit of any deep passion though...you tend to surround yourself with people and things that are related to that passion.
www.theslants.com
www.laststoptokyo.com

Fedora 
Con Regular
Fedora

07-31-08 04:40 AM - Post#2901    
    In response to SyFyCon

• Anime South Said:
  • Fedora Said:
  • MomoCon Liaison Said:
  • Mailechan Said:
  • In reply to:

This is so, so true.

Did you have a social life before Anime South *wink* If any thing staffing a Anime Convention has made my social life better.
James Fedora

www.otakupunch.com

Ramothhe 
Attendee
Ramothhe
Reg: 12-30-06

08-17-08 01:34 PM - Post#2936    
    In response to Bryguy

• Bryguy Said:

Yeah I was able to find it in Barnes and Noble. And let me clarify, I wasn't interviewed for the article in respects to my own con but for another event that didn't go so well and nobody from said event was able to be reached for comment other than numerous outside organizations/people who had dealings with said event. heh.
Zenkaikon Convention Chair 2005-2011
Cosplay Co Chair 07,
Delaware Anime Society: C.hief E.xecutive O.taku
DE/PA/NJ and beyond!: Check out our PA Chapter!

K2theninja 
Attendee
K2theninja
Loc: Helena MT
Reg: 01-19-11

01-19-11 11:56 PM - Post#8190    
    In response to Ramothhe

I understand where Patrick is coming from with his Rule #3, especially after I was given some helpful advice from the chairpersonel of NDK, regarding 'never mixing business with pleasure'. However, in my case, it is a bit of a pleasure, and I'm slowly turning it into a business of sorts. I've always been a huge fan of anime and have slowly moved from being a fan of anime as an art medium to enjoying the voice acting aspect of it. Also being in a state that is nowhere near any major Anime Convention (Montana), my enjoyment of Voice Actors/Actresses is not shared by many people, or local fans of anime. Thus, I uniquely am able to have a unique 'monopoly' of Guest Relation Lead status for anime conventions and events in my state, since nobody else seems to want to do it, or has the experience (however limited) as I. True I don't have much of a 'conventional' social life, but I'm also not very 'conventional' to begin with
Industrial Liaison Lead for MT anime conventions 2011

Sugoku Con Cosplay Picnic 2011 (Canceled; Prepping for full Con in '12')
Nagu Con (August 19-21?)
Electrycon (Canceled)

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Recent Topics

FusionBB™ Version 2.2 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.278 seconds.   Total Queries: 57  
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 02:15 AM