Username Post: Panels/Events - what do you want to see?        (Topic#979)
Wilwarin 
Attendee
Wilwarin
Loc: Nebraska, USA
Reg: 02-27-08

12-24-08 04:16 PM - Post#3313    

I've often heard people on other forums that they've stopped going to certain cons because they weren't interested in the events or panels anymore.

So, as an informal survey, what events or panels are you interested in?

Obviously, the popular ones are the cosplay contests, AMVs, and guests. But what about the fan/volunteer-run panels?
Anime Nebraskon staff
http://www.animenebraskon.com/

PatrickD 
Executive Producer
PatrickD
Loc: California
Reg: 12-07-06

12-24-08 07:22 PM - Post#3314    
    In response to Wilwarin

I've seen a trend to have more panels focused on rather specific topics...such as a panel on a single show or a panel aimed at cosplayers from a single show. To me, it seems like this type of programming has very limited appeal...even if the fans that are there are rabid fans. I like to see panel programming aimed at a wider audience.
-PatrickD
AnimeCons.com Executive Producer
Co-Founder: Anime Boston and Providence Anime Conference
Host of The Chibi Project & Anime Unscripted™

The History Follower 
Con Addict
The History Follower
Loc: WV
Reg: 01-02-07

12-27-08 11:17 PM - Post#3326    
    In response to PatrickD

And now for the rebuttal.
I like panels that focus on one specific topic. You know what the panel is about and are more likely able to judge if it's something you like. More general ones may end up talking about stuff you like or have seen or not.
Though general is also good as well.

As for what events I like; my top three things I look for when I'm trying to figure out what cons to go to are guests, panels, and table top gaming.

I don't care about raves, cosplay events, video games, or weird game shows; all of which are things I've seen become more prelavate at cons.

LadyHawke78 
AnimeCons Staff
LadyHawke78
Loc: PA
Reg: 12-20-06

12-29-08 03:48 PM - Post#3333    
    In response to Wilwarin

IMO, there is FAR too much programming at conventions in general that caters to cosplayers-- and more specifically, to the amateur role-players amongst said cosplayers.

Does one convention REALLY need 5+ cosplay fan panels, numerous Dating Games, umpteen Court Cases, and at least three or four other game shows focused on people in costumes pretending to be a character?

I am not trying to sound biased. Actually, being a Masquerade Manager for 2 years, one might suspect that I would be biased in the OTHER direction (OMG MOAR COSPLAY THEMED STUFF LOL!) but it is quite the opposite. Frankly, a lot of the play acting at the 'amateur role playing' events IS NOT VERY GOOD and doesn't hold my attention long enough to be entertaining. Sure, every event has its moments and a few of the RPers are good, but overall, who does this appeal to? A much younger crowd, apparently.

These events (as well as a lot of the fan-panels that seem to accompany them) are just incredibly self-indulgent to me and tend to be more effective in screaming "LOOK AT ME" rather than providing any real substance to the convention programming as a whole.

However, one cosplay event that I DO like and would like to see evolve further is Cosplay Human Chess. Maybe its because I've been to MetroCon and seen this DONE RITE that I keep looking forward to seeing how it is implemented at different other cons.

tl;dr: PLEASE quit it with the overkill of amateur cosplay events and provide more focused and academic programming options for those of us who are NOT 14 years old and hopped up on sugar. Kthxbi.

Crazy Flower 
Token Black Chick
Crazy Flower
Loc: Beantown in the Pan
Reg: 06-02-07

12-29-08 04:21 PM - Post#3336    
    In response to LadyHawke78

I'm not a fan of panels devoted to one specific anime or video game. Heck, I barely go to panels at all. What I would like to see is more hands-on panels and workshops. Having people sit in a place and just talk for an hour would be boring.

I'd love to see more costume construction panels, especially for those who need help and more advanced techniques. I also agree with the overabundance of cosplay "RP" panels. (I find it amusing that some of these people who perform these look down on LARPers)

I'd also love to see some con-related presentation panels, (Masq/Cosplay Chess/Dating Game) because how to act could be quite important as well.

PatrickD 
Executive Producer
PatrickD

12-29-08 05:54 PM - Post#3338    
    In response to Crazy Flower

• Crazy Flower Said:
What I would like to see is more hands-on panels and workshops. Having people sit in a place and just talk for an hour would be boring.

Yes, I think hands-on panels/workshops or panels where you actually come away having learned something are the best offerings.

I've seen some panels that have been overshadowed by a panelist who goes all fanboy/fangirly and the panel quickly degrades into essentially the old Chris Farley Show skits from SNL. "Remember that time you beat up the bad guys? That was awesome." Those panels aren't good.

I'll listen to someone talk for an hour if they have something good to say and I can walk away having learned something or having been entertained, but not if they're just telling other people their opinion as a fan and using the panel as an excuse for ego-boosting.
-PatrickD

LadyHawke78 
AnimeCons Staff
LadyHawke78
Loc: PA
Reg: 12-20-06

12-29-08 06:06 PM - Post#3339    
    In response to PatrickD

Workshop panels are awesome. The only issue there is when the panelists find themselves having to charge a nominal fee (say, $5) for supplies, and then people complain. (WHAT.)

I would personally find the $5 worthwhile to attend a good hands-on panel. I remember paying a few bucks a number of years ago to attend a cel-painting panel and it was pretty darn fun.

And YES. There is FAR too much ego-boosting that occurs at fan panels.

Fedora 
Con Regular
Fedora
Loc: Suffolk UK & NH USA
Reg: 12-22-06

01-05-09 04:43 AM - Post#3348    
    In response to LadyHawke78

• LadyHawke78 Said:
Workshop panels are awesome. The only issue there is when the panelists find themselves having to charge a nominal fee (say, $5) for supplies, and then people complain. (WHAT.)

I would personally find the $5 worthwhile to attend a good hands-on panel. I remember paying a few bucks a number of years ago to attend a cel-painting panel and it was pretty darn fun.

And YES. There is FAR too much ego-boosting that occurs at fan panels.

I agree a small fee is fine for workshop panels but try to keep it under $10.00. As for Egos it all depends on the panel and who is doing it. Anyone who has been to Resembool Panel will understand this.

In general, there is allot of panels that cater to cosplayers. I am fine with that as long as the panel is done well. Fan boy cosplay panels do irk me after a while.

I prefer panels that are more informative in nature. I go to Panels to gain valuable insight and info into events, things and issues that I cannot normally do outside of a convention.

I would like to see more panels on how to do good Photography or videos. Every event/convention I have been too people have mid to high range Digital SLR cameras and have no clue how to use them. Many people do not understand how to get the best from a camera with a little knowledge and know how. The same goes for camcorders as well.

I am putting together a panel for Kitakon that address the very basics of Photography for the Average Otaku.

James Fedora
Cosplay Media and US/UK Medic

Staff Anime Boston 03,06,07,08,09
Chief of Security Connecticon 03
Co founder of Anime South
Offcial Videographer London Cosplay Ball 08
Jack of All Trades & Medic Kitacon UK 09

www.otakupunch.com
Facebook- Otaku Punch Pictures & Media

EllyStar 
New England Con Whore
EllyStar
Loc: Massachusetts
Reg: 06-24-07

01-06-09 02:52 PM - Post#3353    
    In response to Wilwarin

I like game shows that involve guests. Sometimes the ones with just attendees are boring, but the guests know how to make them entertaining. Anime Unscripted is always great. In 2007 ConnectiCon had a great Match Game with some of the guests as panelists and they were hilarious. I like seeing guests having fun instead of hearing them ask questions (most of them dumb) from attendees at a Q&A panel.

I really like to see panels that introduce different series to people. Like "The Best Anime You've Never Heard Of" or "Old School Anime" type things. Cons are a great way to learn about different series, and these panels really help.

I also really like industry panels. I like to hear new titles they're releasing and insight into what goes on when producing new series.
Elizabeth: Website and Podcast Writer
My Conventions

Ohki 
Ohki
Reg: 01-10-07

05-04-09 04:02 PM - Post#4319    
    In response to Wilwarin

As an Acengoer, I must say that the lack of "intelligent" panels makes me sad. Pretty much all the panels are fan panels for series, how-to panels for drawing, cosplay, etc, and info panels on anime subcultures. Those are fun and all, but I'd like to attend some offbeat, different panels, particularly ones that make you think.
~My Anger is Chopin~

EllyStar 
New England Con Whore
EllyStar

06-15-09 04:07 PM - Post#4696    
    In response to Ohki

Are there any panels that people haven't seen yet that they want to see? I'm looking to develop new panel ideas, but I'm not sure what people want to see.
My Conventions

PatrickD 
Executive Producer
PatrickD

06-15-09 04:26 PM - Post#4697    
    In response to EllyStar

Here's a panel idea...

While I used to visit AnimeOnDVD.com daily, I don't anymore...and don't visit similar sites either. As a result, I don't feel like I'm as informed as I once was as to what new titles are coming out and what I should keep an eye out for.

I used to hear about titles talked about on AoD all the time and would pick up any that I found interesting, but now I don't know what I'd find interesting.

What might help people like me is a panel showing some clips from some upcoming and soon-to-be-released shows that can help people find something new and interesting to watch. However, even with the reduced number of titles coming out these days, there would still be a ton of shows to cover. Hopefully a panel would focus on a wide range of shows and not just focus on shoujo, giant robot, or some particular genre.

I think some people are doing panels like this at some cons, but I haven't been to one. I probably should seek it out.
-PatrickD

EllyStar 
New England Con Whore
EllyStar

06-16-09 09:26 AM - Post#4707    
    In response to PatrickD

FUNimation did a panel like this at Anime Boston with their new titles. It was great, I think they showed four or five shows that had just come out or were coming out soon. I ended up buying one of them in their booth the next day.

It definitely seems like something that industry reps at cons should do, if they are able. But obviously most conventions do not have industry reps attending, only the largest ones.

I also sat on a panel similar to this at Arisia called something like "What Anime is New Now?" It included both titles that were new in Japan and newly arriving in the US.
My Conventions

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Recent Topics

FusionBB™ Version 2.2 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.213 seconds.   Total Queries: 49  
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 08:20 AM